redis reboots faster with "appendonly.aof" instead of "dump.rdb"

Gajendra Kumar

Apr 23, 2018, 8:38:53 AM4/23/18
to Redis DB
I am doing a performance testing and trying to figure out how redis reboots with aof and rdb files. I collected following data:

with 4gb RAM
Size of aof file = 588 mb
Size of rdb dile = 7 mb
used_memory_human:616.97M
rebooting with rdb file = 1.299 seconds seconds
rebooting with aof file =  0.396 seconds

with 16GB RAM
Size of aof file = 4128 mb
Size of rdb dile = 48 mb
Total memory used =  used_memory_human:4.06G
rebooting with rdb file = 8.353 seconds
rebooting with aof file =  2.245 seconds

the redis version that I am using is : 3.2.11

The documentation says that redis reboots faster with rdb. But I am observing a faster reboot with aof. Could someone please help me understand this redis behavior?