Installing and/or using redis-cli

Justin Tribuna

Oct 4, 2018, 10:51:10 AM10/4/18
to Redis DB
I need to run a memory test and I'm having trouble installing and/or using redis-cli in Windows. I ran npm install -g redis-cli in my command prompt, then redis-server --test-memory, but the response was 'redis-server' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. Is there some specific directory I need to be in, or some other command I need to run?

shariq islam

Oct 4, 2018, 11:16:53 AM10/4/18
to redi...@googlegroups.com
This question is very poorly researched. I am not even sure if you are aware of what redis-server is. Let me enlighten you:

1. Redis is a basically a key-value store, which can be scaled horizontally. It's a type of NOSQL data storage.
2. redis-server is an executable programs which is used to start redis server on any machine.
3. redis-cli is command line client that comes with redis distribution itself.
4. redis-cli that you installed using npm is wrapper on javascript client written in javascript for nodejs platform.

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve here. but redis-server --test-memory is used to test your system memory(primary storage or RAM) if your redis-server is throwing memory errors. I highly doubt that you are debugging issues with your Redis Server installation. However if you are indeed debugging your Redis Server installation. The error you are getting is basically redis-server not being on enviroment PATH. You first need to find your installation path and then run it, your error tells me you are using windows and if you haven't changed installation path during installation it should be in your C:/Program Files or C:/Program Files(x86) directory.

On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 8:21 PM Justin Tribuna <justin....@gmail.com> wrote:
I need to run a memory test and I'm having trouble installing and/or using redis-cli in Windows. I ran npm install -g redis-cli in my command prompt, then redis-server --test-memory, but the response was 'redis-server' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. Is there some specific directory I need to be in, or some other command I need to run?

hva...@gmail.com

Oct 4, 2018, 11:32:30 AM10/4/18
to Redis DB
Redis isn't really the right tool to perform a memory test on your Windows machine.  I'm afraid I don't use Windows myself, so I don't have a suggestion for another memory test tool to use.  It kind of sounds like you picked Redis from a list of search results, so check into the other results you got and see if one of them will do what you need.