Replication to a Slave, production of RDB file, how to prevent?

Michael Dillon

Jun 28, 2016, 8:41:52 AM6/28/16
to Redis DB
We want to use Redis but we have an issue with data being stored on disk as its contains confidential information that cannot be stored at rest.  Or if it is stored at rest, it must be encrypted.

We use diskless replication, but this only prevents the master from writing the RDB to disk, the Slave when it receives the data over the socket, still persists the replicated data to disk.

Does anyone know of any additional settings that can be applied to prevent the slave from writing the RDB file?  Or perhaps a setting that would see the RDB file automatically deleted after the replication has taken place?

Has anyone ever used SafeNet with Redis?  Will it be suitable as a mechanism to store the RDB at rest.

Any input is appreciated.

Ezequiel Lovelle

Jun 29, 2016, 10:09:12 AM6/29/16
to Redis DB
AFAIK, for now, you can't do that, when a slave receives the data payload, this data will be save into rdb file disk for later (in initial loading process) be read and load every key into memory.

I imagine you can do a remove of the file at the end of the function int rdbLoad(char *filename) in 'rdb.c' but this is discouraged because you will need to maintain your own version.

Bye,