AutoStart Redis as I start Ubuntu

Zen Zeni

Mar 12, 2018, 2:25:54 AM3/12/18
to Redis DB

I installed Redis on Ubuntu using this page https://redis.io/topics/quickstart (Installing Redis more properly). Everything is working fine and I am able to connect to Redis from VS 2017.

Now I just want to start the Redis server on computer startup.

After searching web I tried following commands and get errors:

·         “sudo service redis-server start” (error:update-rc.d: error: cannot find a LSB script for redis-server),

·         “sudo systemctl enable redis” (error: Operation failed: No such file or directory)

·         “sudo update-rc.d redis_6379 enable” (error: update-rc.d: error: redis_6379 Default-Start contains no runlevels, aborting)

Question is where to go from here? Obviously I am very new to Linux and Redis.

hva...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2018, 4:55:15 AM3/12/18
to Redis DB
The pre-packaged Redis server in Ubuntu 16.04 is 3.0.6, and Ubuntu 17.10 is 4.0.1.

If you don't need a more recent version of Redis, why not use the Ubuntu package?  The package maintainer has already created the Systemd scripts to automatically start Redis when Ubuntu boots up.  It's ready to use.