Redis as a neo4j like graphica data base

Glenn Edgar

Sep 18, 2016, 2:13:07 AM9/18/16
to Redis DB
I am using redis on a 32 bit linux cpu with 1 gig of memory, in an internet of things network.

I find that a representation tree based representation such as snmp effective. Snmp details are not the right fit but the concept is correct. Btw,the graph is static at start up. If the graph changes a restartup constructs new graph.

On the cloud server i used neo4j a graphical db and the cyper query language to do this task. I would like to do this on the 32 bit node computer, but neo4j is too big for this environment.

I implimented a tree structured data base by constructing unique keys for each element of the tree. The keys are constructed so that the graphical relations and attributes are embedded in the key name.

To access values i do a redis keys pattern. This gets me close. I fo further string matching to find the desired keys, which is done in python.

There are probanly better wsys of doing this and this is the teason for the post.

Dvir Volk

Sep 19, 2016, 4:25:27 AM9/19/16
to Redis DB
Hi Glenn.

I would start by reading this http://redis.io/topics/indexes
Especially the part titled Representing and querying graphs using an hexastore
But also read about lexicographical ranges for indexing.

Another thing - don't use redis KEYS with pattern, do prefer SCAN with pattern, which does not block the server.