Dockerfiles for redis server

Mahesh Waidande

May 14, 2015, 9:33:02 AM5/14/15
to redi...@googlegroups.com

Hi Folks,

I have ported Redis to power8 architecture (ppc64le) and have also dockerized it on Ubuntu, RHEL and SLES. I want to contribute ported code and docker files back to Redis community.

I discussed on Redis IRC with <zerthimon> badboy_ (http://irc.lc/freenode/redis/) about possibility of submitting docker files into the source code repository (snapshot of the chat attached). As discussed, I would like docker files to be part of source code at github (https://github.com/antirez/redis), primarily for following reasons:

1.       It will make Redis build process self-contained as everything is available at a single source.

2.       Major Linux distributions like RedHat, SuSe, Ubuntu are planning to have self-contained repositories which will host the docker files along with the code itself.

3.       Many packages have begun packaging docker files along with the source code. So going ahead, Redis will not have to make any changes to adapt to new trend.

I welcome a discussion on this suggestion, so in order to cover a larger audience I am sending this mail to the Redis mailing list. I would also like to know if there is any preference about naming convention of docker files and their place in the source tree, for example, single directory containing docker files for different distributions, or, separate directory containing single docker file for each distribution etc.

Thanks,

- Mahesh

communicationWithCommunity.png

Bruce Wang

May 14, 2015, 10:49:24 AM5/14/15
to redi...@googlegroups.com
FYI, there are official docker images on Docker Hub https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/library/redis/

Related dockerfiles is on github https://github.com/docker-library/redis

Mahesh Waidande

May 15, 2015, 7:06:38 AM5/15/15
to redi...@googlegroups.com, br...@brucewang.net

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for quick reply. I need your help on couple of questions regarding contributing to github repository.

  1. What is the procedure to check in dockerfiles into https://github.com/docker-library/redis  repository?
  2. Do I need to sign any contributor license agreement before checking anything in https://github.com/docker-library/redis ?

Thanks,

-Mahesh

Bruce Wang

May 15, 2015, 8:39:42 AM5/15/15
to redi...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 9:06 PM, Mahesh Waidande <mahesh.wa...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for quick reply. I need your help on couple of questions regarding contributing to github repository.

  1. What is the procedure to check in dockerfiles into https://github.com/docker-library/redis  repository?
As any other github projects, fork the repo, commit your changes, send in a pull request, see https://help.github.com/articles/fork-a-repo/, but they suggest to file an issue first to discuss what you want to change/add, see the doc link below

  1. Do I need to sign any contributor license agreement before checking anything in https://github.com/docker-library/redis ?
I don't think so, read the https://registry.hub.docker.com/_/redis/ "Contributing" part at the bottom

Mahesh Waidande

May 18, 2015, 3:28:54 AM5/18/15