Redisqfork_####.dat data files filling up hard drive, Redis not installed

echoi...@gmail.com

Apr 29, 2017, 2:54:23 AM4/29/17
to Redis DB
Windows 10, 1607
The Windows/system32/config folder is full of redisqfork_####.dat files that I can't delete - Windows Explorer (with Hidden Files checked) does not see these files and reports the space used by Config does not include the 17+GB of files.
Redis is not installed and not running (looked with both Task Manager and Autoruns)
How can I delete these files and stop Redis from creating more files?

Marc Gravell

Apr 29, 2017, 3:12:41 AM4/29/17
to redi...@googlegroups.com
Well, clearly *something* on your machine *is* using the MSOpenTech redis-64 (and an old build, too). It doesn't need to be installed as such - file copy is sufficient. Check "services", perhaps. Heck, just order by process memory.

hva...@gmail.com

Apr 29, 2017, 6:40:56 PM4/29/17
to Redis DB
Offhand, it sounds like you have malware on your machine that's trying to disguise itself.  Probably doesn't even have Redis in any form actually installed, just creates files using the name to make you search for answers in the wrong place.

echoi...@gmail.com

May 3, 2017, 7:33:17 PM5/3/17
to Redis DB
This PC is running Symantec End Point Protection and I run weekly MalWareBytes scans

echoi...@gmail.com

May 3, 2017, 7:38:20 PM5/3/17
to Redis DB
I did check Services using Task Manager and Autoruns and did not see any references to "Redis"

We have 12 basically identical PCs and this is the only one overrun with Redis files

The big question is: how can I delete the Redis files that are not visible to Windows Explorer or via Command Prompt run as Admin?