Server startup time in AOF mode

Woody Wu

Jun 4, 2016, 10:20:01 PM6/4/16
to Redis DB
Hi,

 Does AOF mean every time when my server boot up, it will take a very long time to recreate the database?

-woody

Matt Palmer

Jun 5, 2016, 1:48:26 AM6/5/16
to redi...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Jun 04, 2016 at 07:09:44PM -0700, Woody Wu wrote:
> Does AOF mean every time when my server boot up, it will take a very long
> time to recreate the database?

It's not "recreating" the database on startup, but yes, there can be a
significant delay between when you start the Redis service and when it is
available for service, because the entire database gets loaded into memory.
I would expect AOF loads to be slower than an RDB of the same dataset,
simply because there's a lot more redundancy in the AOF format.

- Matt

Woody Wu

Jun 5, 2016, 10:53:35 AM6/5/16
to Redis DB, mpa...@hezmatt.org
Thanks, Matt.  Did anyone ever used Redis in an Embedded system?  I am working on a ARM Linux application, the system has 128MB RAM.  In the application, I want to store a lot of time-series data.  There are about 10000 series, each of which contains 9000 elements of {time, value-64bit, status-8bit}.   Does Redis suitable to this?

Woody Wu

Jun 5, 2016, 10:58:28 AM6/5/16
to Redis DB, mpa...@hezmatt.org