Trying to run Redis on Windows 7-Unsuccesfully

Osher Dukarker

Jul 28, 2015, 2:27:28 AM7/28/15
to Redis DB
Hi i am using virtualbox with windows 7 on-board.

I am trying to run Redis server (downloaded executable installation file from GitHub).

When trying to run Redis client i am getting the following error:

Could not connect to Redis at 127.0.0.1:6379: Unknown error
(1.00s)
not connected>

I also cannot run any 'redis' commands in the CLI.

What would you suggest to do?

Marc Gravell

Jul 28, 2015, 3:17:08 AM7/28/15
to redi...@googlegroups.com

What happened when you ran redis-server? Is the server up?

Osher Dukarker

Jul 28, 2015, 9:26:50 AM7/28/15
to Redis DB, marc.g...@gmail.com
Hi Marc. thanks for your reply.

I don't think the server is running since I cannot run any redis command on CLI.

I don't know also how to run the server. I tought that running the Windows Redis client is actually Running the client.

 I am attaching a screenshot for you to make the situation more clear:

http://3.1m.yt/8ECg7w-q-.png

Osher Dukarker

Jul 28, 2015, 11:50:27 AM7/28/15
to Redis DB, marc.g...@gmail.com, osh...@gmail.com
An update:

I have launched redis-server.exe on c:/program files/redis and it says the server is running. Although still cannot run any Redis commands.

Daniel Oscar Van Derdonckt

Jul 29, 2015, 1:53:14 AM7/29/15
to Redis DB, osh...@gmail.com

Whats the error message u get on the terminal? can u do a print screen picture and post here?

Osher Dukarker

Jul 29, 2015, 6:04:33 AM7/29/15
to Redis DB, dvande...@gmail.com
of course.

Here's when I am trying to run Redis commands on redis client:

http://3.1m.yt/q1an-2z5z.png

And here's when I am trying to run Redis commands on command prompt:

http://3.1m.yt/zZqnjm6zz.png

Vijay

Jul 29, 2015, 6:24:26 AM7/29/15
to redi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Osher
From the second screen shot, it seems that you are already connected to the server via the redis client. You need to type redis commands shown at http://redis.io/commands, like 'set x 100' and 'get x', without the quotes.
It also means that the server is running..:-)

Let us know if there are any problems while running the commands.

-- Vijay

Osher Dukarker

Jul 29, 2015, 6:45:17 AM7/29/15
to Redis DB, vis...@gmail.com
Vijay thank you!

I guess i was trying to run Redis commands that are compatible with another OS( commands like 'MAKE').

the fact that the server's running means that it will work well for laravel , right?

Colin Vipurs

Jul 29, 2015, 8:28:06 AM7/29/15
to redi...@googlegroups.com, dvande...@gmail.com
From your first screen shot you are already connected via the redis-cli as indicated by:

prompt

Inside this you don't want to issue the command 'redis monitor', you just want 'monitor' or any other command.

In the second instance you are trying to run the command "redis".  As long as redis is in your %PATH% you either want "redis-server" to run the server or more likely "redis-cli" to run the redis interactive shell.

Maybe she awoke to see the roommate's boyfriend swinging from the chandelier wearing a boar's head.

Something which you, I, and everyone else would call "Tuesday", of course.

Marc Gravell

Jul 29, 2015, 8:28:06 AM7/29/15
to Redis DB
You need two processes here; the server and the client. If you run the server (redis-server), you need to *leave that running* while you (separately) run a client (redis-client). If you are using redis-64 from nuget/cinst, there are ways to install that as a service, so you don't need to spawn it separately. I suspect what is happening is that you've run the server, exited the server, then run a client.

Marc
--
Regards,

Marc

Osher Dukarker

Jul 29, 2015, 8:43:53 AM7/29/15
to Redis DB, marc.g...@gmail.com
Thanks Marc.

I actually did not know how to run the server in the first place.

then I found them both in c:/program files/redis and then  it went well.

By the way- I used the executable version for windows (7) (redis_version:2.4.6).

Osher Dukarker

Jul 29, 2015, 8:57:30 AM7/29/15
to Redis DB, dvande...@gmail.com, zodi...@gmail.com
Thanks Colin for that.

By %PATH% you mean refer to installtion path of redis client in Windows?

Colin Vipurs

Jul 29, 2015, 9:12:04 AM7/29/15
to Osher Dukarker, Redis DB
%PATH% is the list of directories Windows will look in to find executables.

Osher Dukarker

Jul 29, 2015, 9:32:51 AM7/29/15
to Redis DB, zodi...@gmail.com
Thank you.

Osher Dukarker

Jul 29, 2015, 9:36:47 AM7/29/15
to Redis DB, zodi...@gmail.com

On Wednesday, July 29, 2015 at 4:12:04 PM UTC+3, Colin Vipurs wrote:
%PATH% is the list of directories Windows will look in to find executables.

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 1:57 PM, Osher Dukarker <osh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Colin for that. I found another link for explaining better about the path variable since the one from Wikipedis is not online.