Has anyone used Dynomite?

poiuytrez

May 16, 2016, 12:01:05 PM5/16/16
to Redis DB
Hello guys,

We are hesitating to put redis+dynomite in production. Has anyone tried it in production?

Thank you for your feedback.

AlexanderB

May 16, 2016, 1:06:53 PM5/16/16
to Redis DB
I got a chance to talk with the Netflix team that builds dynomite during the Redis Conference last week. The impression I got is that Netflix runs it at massive scales in production and it works great when tailored to their use cases.

However it sounds like they also have a handful of closed source tooling built up around it, that they plan to open source, but haven't cleaned up enough yet.

My personal judgement would be that if you need multi-datacenter replication, and you're mostly using it as a look aside cache to speed up database queries it's a great fit.

If you need to be able to dynamically rescale the size of the cluster without dropping all of your data, or you need multi key operations though, you'll run into some issues.

You might have some luck contacting the open source dynomitedb project if you have more questions. http://www.dynomitedb.com/

Akbar Ahmed

May 17, 2016, 3:06:32 AM5/17/16
to Redis DB
There are two very large production deployments (1000+ nodes), Netflix and Thomson Reuters.

DynomiteDB (obviously) also uses Dynomite + Redis in production.

If I assume your question also implies the question of "is it production ready", the answer is yes.

To elaborate, there are two core components on your data path (reads/writes):
  • Redis
  • Dynomite

Redis is production ready.

Dynomite is also production ready. To provide more context, Dynomite was originally a fork of Twitter Twemproxy, which Twitter had used in production. Specifically, the proxy, persistent connections, Redis protocol, hashing and data distribution subsystems in Dynomite were proven production ready by Twitter starting 4 years ago, and since then Netflix has proven them production ready for the past 2 or so years. The Dynamo-inspired components in Dynomite (but not in Twemproxy) have approx. 2 years of heavy production use. Beyond the above, I spend a lot of time looking at the Dynomite code and I can assure that it is extremely well written.

Dynomite Manager, which is a tool to manage Dynomite, should be available imminently. It's being put through final testing. (Note: I'll update this post as soon as it's released).

One last note. All tooling around Dynomite is open source. Everything needed to build, package, deploy and run Dynomite is open source.

@poiuytrez, ping me on Twitter @DynomiteDB if you have any specific questions. I'd be happy to provide you with the information necessary to help facilitate your evaluation.

poiuytrez

May 17, 2016, 3:57:22 AM5/17/16
to Redis DB
Thank you both for your great replies. I love the Dynomite approach but my fear is that Dynomite is only used by Netflix. Even if it seems a great project, it might be missing a community of users. Maybe with some additional tooling, it will be better to understand and debug if there is an issue.

Akbar, I hope that you will be able to build a community around Dynomite and DynomiteDB as we are very interested by the concept. Please keep us updated :).

Ioannis Papapanagiotou

Jul 17, 2016, 1:57:29 AM7/17/16
to Redis DB
Dynomite is actively developed and used in production at Netflix and other places. Thompson Reuters talked in the Netflix OSS meetup how they are using it in production.
Dynomite-manager has also been recently open sourced. We have added Gitter to our DynomiteOSS projects, so feel free to reach out if you have any questions.