Redis and sentinel with master - slave replication IP resolution client failure in docker swarm

Sharman

Aug 30, 2017, 10:29:45 AM8/30/17
to Redis DB

I am running into an issue and I am not sure how to resolve this. My redis sentinel eco system is as follows:

3 sentinel cluster --> Managing 1 master and 2 slaves using docker-compose

I have created a docker overlay network for the eco system and using docker stack deploy to run the docker compose yml. The redis-cli on each node displays the correct INFO configuration. However external clients are running into an issue.

When I supply the sentinel address to the client application (in my case it's a spring redis app) I am getting the overlay network's internal IP address for the master redis. This is not recognizable to the client and it fails. How can I get an IP address that can be resolved externally? Secondly is it even possible since docker swarm manages the IP addresses on the overlay network. Is this the right approach i.e. using docker swarm? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.