Josh Narins has passed

Darrell

Sep 22, 2014, 9:46:00 PM9/22/14
to reddi...@googlegroups.com
All,

As Josh was somewhat active on this distro (back in the day when this distro was active) I thought some of you may find this news of note. You may recall Josh from his efforts to try to organize members of the distro to help make a movie (see his now defunct twitter. @MovieToBeMade) and later after his illness became more severe his secure mobile documentations transport startup that he was getting off the ground.

If I'm being honest we weren't particularly close beyond having met ~4-5 years ago and staying in touch via FB/Linked'In and I really don't know much more about his illness (scleroderma or some such?) or his passing...but even though I know in the end it doesn't matter, I figure when I go I want people to notice...even if it's just members of a mailing list I barely knew in real life.

So I guess this is me paying it forward: Rest in Peace, Josh. We didn't know each other all that well, but when you died I noticed.

--D

Anne Markis

Sep 22, 2014, 10:30:04 PM9/22/14
to Darrell, Reddit NYC

Seriously? I saw on his feed he wasn't doing well but this is awful.

Justin Cobb

Sep 22, 2014, 10:36:11 PM9/22/14
to Darrell, reddi...@googlegroups.com

Well said Darrell, thank you for that.

Rest in peace, Josh. See you in that undiscovered country, from whose bourn no traveller returns.

Jacob Shufro

Sep 23, 2014, 2:34:47 AM9/23/14
to Justin Cobb, Darrell, reddi...@googlegroups.com
I've been chatting with him every few weeks.

While it was evident that he was ill, this still comes very suddenly. I hadn't noticed that we haven't had one of our periodic talks recently until this news.

We commiserated often about our respective misadventures in the healthcare system, and despite this I still don't have a good picture of the full scope of his condition.
But I do know that despite the tremendous discomfort he often experienced, he died unbroken. I doubt I would have been as productive, nor as as vivacious, for nearly so long were I in his place.

In one of our last exchanges we discussed music of choice to listen to while stuck in a hospital bed, and this is what he sent me:

"Might I, in turn, put this forward. Just click "play album" when the page loads. And give it a minute, too, please. I read your music list, this shouldn't be too much of a shock. Just a way to relax/while away some time..."

I'll be donating to the Scleroderma Foundation, and if you can, you should too.

Mendizabal

Sep 23, 2014, 4:48:40 AM9/23/14
to Jacob Shufro, Anne Markis, Justin Cobb, Darrell, reddi...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Darrell. Josh and I weren't really close either but we hung out in his apt a few times. I was helping him with his movie a couple of years ago before he got really sick. He was a pretty cool dude. I am sad to have not have hung out with him more.

+ mendizabal
= interactive + creative

Eli Reiter

Sep 23, 2014, 7:41:19 AM9/23/14
to Mendizabal, Jacob Shufro, Anne Markis, Justin Cobb, Darrell, reddi...@googlegroups.com
Again, allow me to echo my condolences. He was a very nice person. He was also extremely intelligent. We sat and talked for hours. Often times, he was so far above me that I was confused.

We lost a great mind and a good soul.

Rest in peace.

Peter

Sep 23, 2014, 8:17:23 PM9/23/14
to reddi...@googlegroups.com
The way he talked, it seemed like he was going to live forever. We'll remember you, Josh.

Darrell:

I saw your post on Josh's wall. Perhaps we could put together a donation in Josh's name to one of the charities with Scleroderma in their name. I don't know if that's the sort of thing he would have wanted - he probably would prefer that his startup got off the ground and that he left a mark in that way - but it would at be a nice gesture.

Jordan Adler

Sep 23, 2014, 10:17:36 PM9/23/14
to Peter, reddi...@googlegroups.com, rac...@chickswithknives.com
Peter,

From what I understand, the family is setting up a research fund.  I've cc'd Rachael, Josh's sister, who can provide further comment.

Thanks,
Jordan

Kiss

Sep 29, 2014, 10:52:38 AM9/29/14
to Jordan Adler, Peter, Reddit /r/nyc, rac...@chickswithknives.com
Wow, really sad to hear this. Josh came to a Brooklyn rooftop party of mine several years ago, we had a good hang, discussed his movie and music to score it. He seemed like a really good, genuine person, and I'm sad to see that he passed. Will donate in his name as well.
Wishing you all health.

David Kiss
@absolutkiss
347.875.7252

Peter

Sep 29, 2014, 2:21:15 PM9/29/14
to reddi...@googlegroups.com
I don't see Rachel's response to me in this thread, so I think she accidentally sent it to me as an email. So I'm reposting what she sent me a couple days ago.

From Rachel:

Hi and thank you for this. It has been a terrible few days to say the least.
Anyway, Peter, nice to meet you. Yes, he had scleroderma. It's a terrible thing, for sure. Of course, being Josh, he was convinced he could best it, but in the end, it bested him.

I wrote something a bit more formal to send out about a memorial fund. I like the idea of a scientist working based on Josh's memory. Too bad we don't have a recording of him telling the person they're doing it wrong. (Sorry. Dark humor.) Anyway. Here it is. Please pass it along to anyone you know who may like to contribute.

-------------

Thank you all for asking about a fund for Joshua. This is all a bit new to us, so it took a few days to organize. But, here is the info. If anyone would like to send a check, it gets written to The Joshua Narins Scleroderma Research Fund (I hope that fits. Oy.) or if that is too long just writing Sharon Rapone as a recipient works, too. It can be mailed along with notes, cards or flowers if you so wish, to

Sharon and William Rapone
5410 NW 26th Lane, Ocala, FL 34482

Thank you all so much for your kind generosity in this time of heartache. All money will go to the Scleroderma Research Foundation in Josh's name and to offset the funeral expenses as Josh left beautiful memories but little else.

As we mentioned, he also had a very esoteric library and we would love so much to send any of you a book of his as a memento. I cannot promise it would light reading, but I know having just a little reminder is always nice. If you want a book, please email your address as well.

Thank you all, again, for your warmth and support in this difficult time. We will miss him every day for the rest our lives. May he rest forever in peace.

-Rachael Narins

Christopher Morini Jr

Apr 2, 2015, 12:11:36 AM4/2/15
to Darrell, reddi...@googlegroups.com
I am WAAAAY late. Honesty can’t believe I am just now finding out about this, and I totally can’t believe I have known you guys and him for about 5 years now.

Josh and I weren’t entirely close, but we were friends. We chatted. His start tup being one of our main topics of discussion. Gone too soon. Glad to know he’s out of pain. I’ll miss that guy. Never saw him not smiling.