Only one user at a time can use redcar.

Donald R. Ziesig

Feb 23, 2012, 4:29:23 PM2/23/12
to redcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi All!

I just added an intern to my rails/hobo project and set her up with a
separate account on the development machine. I installed redcar on her
account under rvm. I have redcar installed on my account, also under
rvm. The installations are different versions of redcar (0.11 and 0.13)
under different home directories with different executables.
Unfortunately, when one of us is using redcar, the other can not.

From the command line, entering the command "redcar" quickly returns to
a command prompt and nothing happens if the other is using redcar. The
very first time I tried her installation - with redcar running on my
account - there was an error message asking if redcar was already
running - something about a listener. Unfortunately, I can no longer
replicate that message so the details are not available.

The same type of thing happens from the main menu and redcar icons. If
the other user is not using redcar, the app starts fine from the menu
and icon. If the other user is using redcar, the menu or icon click is
silently ignored.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Don Ziesig

Matthew Scharley

Feb 23, 2012, 4:32:38 PM2/23/12
to redcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Don,

Redcar starts in a single-instance mode by default, and when you close
it it stays in memory rather than quitting to speed up subsequent startups.

Try starting with the --multiple-instance flag for both users. This
should skip this part and start both copies up.

Cheers,
Matt

Mat Schaffer

Feb 23, 2012, 4:32:24 PM2/23/12
to redcar...@googlegroups.com
Did you try --multiple-instance when starting?

Matthew Scharley

Feb 23, 2012, 4:35:52 PM2/23/12
to redcar...@googlegroups.com
As a sidenote, if you start with the -v option, it should print out a
message saying that it's trying to start via an already running instance.

Donald R. Ziesig

Feb 23, 2012, 4:45:47 PM2/23/12
to redcar...@googlegroups.com
Wow! Thanks everyone for the fast response!

The --multiple-instance flag has both of us editing away
simultaneously! Fantastic! :-)

BTW, I like the 0.11 splasher much better than the 0.13 version ;-) .

Don Z.

Matthew Scharley

Feb 23, 2012, 5:57:19 PM2/23/12
to redcar...@googlegroups.com
Do we still have a ~/.redcar directory? May be worth looking at using a
UNIX socket in ~/.redcar for DRB per user on systems that support it
(linux/mac). Windows is less likely to have more than one user active on
a system.

Just an idea for an enhancement for multi-user systems.