Code Folding

fer febles

Mar 6, 2012, 5:01:38 AM3/6/12
to Redcar
This is the only feature that keeps me from using Redcar. I've thought
it'll be the integrated debugger, but I worked on it and created
something usable http://testandset.posterous.com/spray-new-functionality
(at least for me).

But I don't even know how to start with code folding. ¿There's someone
working on it?

Daniel Lucraft

Mar 6, 2012, 5:09:47 AM3/6/12
to redcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fer

Here's the deal. Eclipse supports code folding, which means JFace+SWT support code folding. Redcar uses JFace+SWT, which means *in theory* we should be able to activate code folding in Redcar quite easily. We use the same widgets as Eclipse. It should be possible to make it work.

In practice, when I tried it it gave fresh meaning to the phrase "you are in a maze of twisty java classes, all alike", and I gave up.

However, if your fortitude is greater than mine, perhaps you will have more success. I suggest looking into JFace JavaDoc documentation for anything related to code folding, and looking at how we create the JFace and SWT widgets in the java-mateview project (we create the widgets and present a simpler API to Redcar there).

If you want to try, I'll give you as much support as I can, I'd like to get this working as well.

best,
Dan

fer febles

Mar 6, 2012, 6:58:25 AM3/6/12
to Redcar
I've worked on debugger because I feel very confident programming in
Ruby, but I tested java just for one week on 2002: for this work I
will be more a burden than anything else.

I think that will be better if I spend more time on the spray debugger
(not tested with new versions of redcar), than trying to fix something
in java that will be sure beyond of my knowledge.

But I really would love to see this feature working. If someone starts
with code folding I could help with debugging or testing in several
platforms.