Adventure Card Game Details

Iammars

Jul 3, 2015, 5:51:21 PM7/3/15
to Public Redcap's PFS Mailing List
All right - as promised last Tuesday - here's what you need to know about the Adventure Card Game Organized Play.

First of all, here's a link to the Organized Play Guide for the ACG: http://paizo.com/products/btpy98no. Although much shorter than the RPG Guide to Organized Play, it's still a heavy read. I would recommend browsing it, but this summary should give you the basics of what you need to know.

First of all, much like the RPG, the ACGOP is made of scenarios, and the scenarios can be played out of order or even skipped if you miss a week. Each scenario is also part of an adventure, a group of 4-6 scenarios. Your character gains a reward for each scenario completed, and also gets a bonus award if you play through the entirety of an adventure, so usually it's a good idea to try to play all of one adventure on one character. Six adventures make up an adventure path, and each season represents one adventure path. The current season is Season of the Righteous, which is the Wrath of the Righteous Adventure Path.

The equivalent to levels for the ACGOP is Tiers. Every character starts out as Tier 1, and can level up to Tier 6. Unlike in the RPG, ACG characters don't level up all at once. After playing your first game at a tier, you get a skill feat. Your second game gets you a power feat and your fourth game at a tier gets a card feat. (Skill feat adds numbers to your dice rolls, power feats improve your character's special abilities, and card feats give you more cards for your deck.) After your fourth game at a tier, you can advance to the next tier. Every card has a number or letter in the top-right corner of the card. You may only have cards in your deck whose number is less than or equal to its tier.

What you'll need to bring: The two major things you'll need is Dice and an Class Deck. This is what the Class Decks look like: http://paizo.com/pathfinder/adventureCardGame/classDecks , and I know that Redcaps has some (and there's a full set at Baltimore Redcaps which I'm hoping they'll bring over.) I'll have some to lend, but I don't own all of them myself, so my hope is that at least some people will have them. You can build your starting deck from the Basic cards in that box, using any character that deck provides. If you own a Base set that has an iconic with the same class, you may use that one instead. (For example, I intend to play the Cleric class deck with the Kyra that is provided in the Wrath of the Righteous box.) The only other cards you may add to this are if you have the appropriate promo from the Iconic Heroes Line.

There's a bit more you need to know about the end of the game, but we can talk about that on Tuesday when we get to it. (aka You have to remove all the cards that you earned over the course of the game and you get to instead choose an appropriate upgrade from your class deck box.)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. (Although I'm in Providence right now, so I may not be able to respond quickly)

wyld windsworn

Jul 4, 2015, 9:21:03 AM7/4/15
to redcapsc...@googlegroups.com
thx, james.

a couple of questions:

"You have to remove all the cards that you earned over the course of the game and you get to instead choose an appropriate upgrade from your class deck box."

not really clear on what this means. how does it affect combining add-on/extension deckss? is there rule written up somewhere (i don't think it's in the cg rulebook after having read it like 3x already)?

Iammars

Jul 4, 2015, 11:30:10 AM7/4/15
to Public Redcap's PFS Mailing List
Okay here's how the end of the game works in a little more detail (since I'm not rushing out of the house now)

Each player looks through their deck. Every card that was from their original class deck will have a logo that says "X Class Deck" in the top left (or if they put a promo card from Iconic Heroes in, it will say "Iconic Heroes"). Every card that was from the setup will have "Wrath of the Righteous" in that same spot. Take all the "Wrath of the Righteous" cards out and leave all the Class Deck/Iconic Heroes cards in.

Everyone then puts all the cards with the Wrath of the Righteous logo in the center, and we organize them by what type of card they are. Then each person can claim one card from the center as an upgrade. What exact card it is doesn't matter, only it's adventure deck number (the number in the upper right hand corner) and it's type (weapon, item, ally etc.) You get to pick a card of that same adventure deck number and type from your Class Deck. When we play on Tuesday, we'll have cards with adventure deck numbers B, C, P and 1. For these purposes, B=C=P, so there will only be 2 effective tiers of cards that you can choose from early in your character's life.

wyld windsworn

Jul 7, 2015, 10:19:35 AM7/7/15
to redcapsc...@googlegroups.com
.
so blake and i did a dry run last night. we played 'godless ones.'

in one round, i.e. advance the blessing deck...

- blake used the "exploration" on the blessing card, found a weapon, rolled checked, and gained it
- did not have a card to give me
- did not move
- explore (as an action, not from blessing card), and flipped over the villain
- killed the villain with the weapon he found

game over.

was this possible?

Iammars

Jul 7, 2015, 10:23:25 AM7/7/15
to Public Redcap's PFS Mailing List
Remember the game is over not when the villain is defeated, but when the villain _cannot escape_. That means that each other location has to be either temporarily or permanently closed. Given that Godless Ones starts with 4 locations, not possible for 2 players on the first turn of the game.

(Permanently closed = found the henchman in the deck, and beat the closing check after defeating it.
Temporarily closed = the villain came up so characters at other locations can attempt the When Closing check to stop the villain from escaping there.)

wyld windsworn

Jul 7, 2015, 10:28:26 AM7/7/15
to redcapsc...@googlegroups.com
.
..."game is over not when the villain is defeated, but when the villain _cannot escape_..."

ah, that's the part i forgot/overlooked.

wyld windsworn

Jul 10, 2015, 10:41:24 AM7/10/15
to redcapsc...@googlegroups.com
.
james, is there scenario write-ups (i.e. fluff, story, etc) for the adventures in the wotr core set (e.g. the godless ones)?

also, when building pc decks, must one chooses from cards with letter corresponding to the scenario (i.e. "a", "b", etc? -- was planning to go over rulebook again but thought you'd prob know this off-hand.)