Campaign Idea:

Kai PFS

Apr 2, 2014, 4:36:14 PM4/2/14
to redcapsc...@googlegroups.com
10 point buy uber low level comedy campaign of gnome adolescents in a quiet little village somewhere running around and getting into trouble. Potential for long hilarious RP sessions where no one touches dice for 1/2 an hour and everyone starts out with weapons village children could get (ie sticks and butter knives, etc). Group quests could range from things like: venturing out past the meadow where you're not supposed to go to visit the cave that all of the children swear an evil Owlbear lives (spoiler no Owlbear ever lived there but there is a mean ass turkey who could peck you silly if you're not careful!). Then the campaign could either take a dark and serious turn where the kids find something that they cannot handle and must bring in the adults and convince them of the threat before it's too late (this campaign would be called a dark thing we found in the woods). Or the campaign continues along with low-level comedy hijinks facing such foes as a thieving squirrel, setting up a bully to get the blame for something to remove him as a threat (think oceans 11 meets the little rascals) or quite possibly as a campaign finale BBEG something as terrifying as a CR2 Goblin.

The name of this campaign...

"GNOMELAND SECURITY" (TM)

Now all I need is someone smarter and less lazy than me to run it and a group of players willing to go full RP (to the point of GM just hand waving certain results and players just accepting it) invest a dozen game sessions for the thrill of the idea that they just might be the one player lucky enough to end the campaign with the ubberest of loots, that's right, I'm talking about a (SM) Masterwork Shortsword!!!

Who'se in???

Hilary Nunes

Apr 2, 2014, 5:42:52 PM4/2/14
to redcapsc...@googlegroups.com
1) I love this, and schedule + group chemistry permitting, would totally play. I might -might- consider co-GMing.

2) Have you seen this, because I am absolutely dying over these and have been emailing everyone who will listen about them: http://stonehavenminiatures.webstorepowered.com
Seriously. Actually awesome wee folk miniatures. I am in love with the gnome tinker. And the goat. And the everything. I love them so much I'm going to buy gallons of paint from redcaps and learn to paint minis because oh my freaking golden tap shoes I cannot even.

3) I might submit the following, for consideration:
Being a gm for the type of adventure you're proposing really requires more creativity, adaptability, and enthusiasm than anything else. I wonder if a group would be amenable to a rotating GM position? Since you're setting the adventure up initially as pretty open ended and flexible, it could easily (and with the right group) be a really fun choose-your-own adventure. I know it's not something we see a lot of in pathfinder, but neither are adorable tiny maniac children with pet frogs and wooden swords. I have more thoughts on how to handle this logistically, if it sounds fun to anyone else.

I definitely want more of this kind of thing in my life, and I would love to see a longer conversation about it develop!
<3
Hil

Kai PFS

Apr 2, 2014, 6:45:11 PM4/2/14
to redcapsc...@googlegroups.com
I had never heard of that mini line but they look awesome. The Tinker would make a great Venture Captian NPC as the crotchety old coot who encourages precocious misadventures and sends the kids off in search of this root or that trinket that got stuck on a roof and tells them ghost stories and rumors for them to fly off the handle in search of adventure and iGNOMEny.

I think the rotating GM thing could work easily as these would basically be serialized childhood adventures where you could complete a quest in a session or 3 and then much of the world would be clean for a start in a new direction. And whomever is on deck to GM next adventure could even pass info to the current GM to drop one or two hooks into their session that will make a natural start to the next thing.

I came up with this campaign while planning out gear for my VC Wizard to get at level 16 and thinking how awesome a campaign could be that would be the anti PFS low stakes funny childhood adventure type of thing. Where gnome children with wanderlust are dealing with the fact that they won't be old enough to be grown ups and get out into the world for another 60 years or so. Where camping out in the woods overnight and sharing a pilfered bag of beans while forming the ultimate adventuring group the Gnome Adventure Society (GAS) is serious business!

I'm not sure if this should even be done in pathfinder as other systems may be much better suited for this rules light story telling type of adventure but as I don't really know anything about those other systems I would leave it to someone else to decide. If it were going to be in the Pathfinder system though it would be the kind of thing where quest rewards are tiny like a gallon of home made vanilla bean ice cream and the campaign as a whole would end when the players hit level 2 so there would be no tracking of XP. Also with a rotating style game some players could come in and out of the game as schedules and other considerations permit. And if it were to be in dungeon world or some other simpler system it could be an ideal way to introduce friends and loved ones to RPG's and maybe even lead to more PFS/AP players down the line. I feel that this system will need someone to run it though overall for the purpose of adjudicating character creation rules system, etc. to make sure everyone is on the same page starting out as something this low power level could be unbalanced easily leading to problems. That organizer would then run the rotations of GM's. As you stepped up I nominate you for that (or co-that if you want to do it with someone). As for me, I just want to be a player at this table. So save me a seat! :)

Raimundo Rivera Jr.

Apr 15, 2014, 6:03:58 PM4/15/14
to redcapsc...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone actually want to do something like this? Id be super into a low power role-play heavy campaign that focused on tiny adventuring guys. Any takers?