Summoner Questions

Peter Breuer-Penello

Mar 12, 2015, 6:27:36 AM3/12/15
to redcapsc...@googlegroups.com

I was looking through my new level 2 summoner and I noticed I had the potential to be doing 4d6 +4 damage a turn? It just doesn't seem right, can anyone look over my logic and tell me if im misinterpreting the rules here? I mean I know that summoners are considered powerful, but this is a bit much...

Eidolon Quadruped: 4 Evolution points, 3 attacks, str mod +2
mount (1)
Limbs legs (Free)
Bite (free)
Claws (1)
Pounce (1)
Improved Nat Atk claws (1)

Step 1:
I mount the eidolon with a lance, me being a halfling with lance prof, charge doing 2d6 damage on a hit (no str bonus)

Step 2:
Eidolon is charging, uses pounce doing Bite, Slam

Bite doing 1d6 +2
Claws 1d6 +2

Am I misinterpreting how pounce works? Is there any negatives to this? Both bite and claws are primary attacks so as written they shouldn't take any negatives, or would using pounce make my second attack count as a secondary attack, making it a -5 to hit and 1/2 damage?

 Because if not  next level that potential goes up to 3d6 + 1d8 + 4

5 evolution points

Limbs Arms (2)
Bite (free)
Pounce (1)
Slam (1)
Mount (1)

Bobby Speck

Mar 12, 2015, 11:32:38 AM3/12/15
to redcapsc...@googlegroups.com

Welcome to mounted charging! One thing you are missing is that small characters still have 10' reach with reach weapons. Therefore in order to get pounce and your lance attack your eidolon would have to have reach on all of its attacks, or you would need to get tiny enough to only have 5' reach with your lance.

Yes, all primary attacks are made at maximum to-hit and 1X STR to damage. The issue is actually hitting, as quadrupeds start with low-ish to-hit and you apparently have no STR bonus.

If you'd like to go over your character in more detail like we did with your alchemist feel free to email me. I'm not as good with summoners as alchemists but I can still probably offer some useful tips.

Bobby

Timothy Stapleton

Mar 12, 2015, 12:30:00 PM3/12/15
to redcapsc...@googlegroups.com
You can also take Ride By Attack, which would let you resolve your lance attack (with reach) at a distance of ten feet, then complete your movement to be adjacent to the enemy, at which point you pounce would go off.  If you're making a lancer, you'll want to go up that feat tree for sure.