Deleting a Data Management Plan

Jay van Schyndel

Aug 18, 2013, 9:20:56 PM8/18/13
to redbo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

At JCU we would like the functionality to delete a data management plan from within the Dashboard.
e.g. as a new user to Redbox I add a garbage entry and wish to delete it.

I am currently investigating how to add this functionality but I'm wondering if this is on the base development To Do list.

Thanks,
             Jay.

Sharyn Wise

Aug 18, 2013, 9:27:05 PM8/18/13
to redbo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jay,
This functionality seems to be available in my 1.6.2, when logged in as a researcher, but not as an admin.
cheers
Sharyn

--
-- Website: http://www.redboxresearchdata.com.au

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups ReDBox group. To post to this group, send email to redbo...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to redbox-repo...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/redbox-repo?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ReDBox" group.

Jay van Schyndel

Aug 18, 2013, 9:35:53 PM8/18/13
to redbo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Sharyn.

After clarification with Marianne, yes, it is Admin who is unable to delete and also, when logged in using Shibboleth, the delete is not working.
We think that Admin should be able to delete.

Please ignore this post. I'll try to delete it if possible.

Cheers,
            Jay.

Sharyn Wise

Aug 18, 2013, 9:37:36 PM8/18/13
to redbo...@googlegroups.com
We will also need delete to work with Shibboleth, so I'll be interested to hear the outcome.
cheers
Sharyn

Andrew Brazzatti

Aug 18, 2013, 10:00:35 PM8/18/13
to redbo...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

The "deletion" process in the dashboard essentially just assigns the owner of the plan to the admin. This allows the record to be recovered (assign the owner back to the user) if there was an accidental deletion. It's also the reason why there is no deletion for an admin.

The researcher dashboard was designed purely for researchers. An admin has the ability to see data management plans in the default portal and can delete them from there the same way you can for a dataset record.

As the deletion process simply reassigns ownership to admin, I can't see a reason for the delete functionality to be broken for shibboleth users. Would be interested to know what errors are being reported.

Andrew

Marianne Brown

Aug 18, 2013, 10:36:24 PM8/18/13
to redbo...@googlegroups.com
Okay - all is starting to make sense. My shibboleth user have the admin role - so delete was working the way it was supposed to. Just didn't look like it as I can see the delete button ( unlike the local admin user who cannot ) but nothing appears to happen when I click delete.

Marianne

Sent from my iPhone

Christopher McAvaney

May 25, 2015, 1:54:10 AM5/25/15
to redbo...@googlegroups.com
G'day Andrew,

Just to clarify, should I be able to delete a Data Management Plan record from the admin "Default View"?
I can only see data sets/collections on the default view.

Regards,
Christopher

Andrew Brazzatti

May 25, 2015, 2:32:29 AM5/25/15
to redbo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christopher,

The default view does filter out data management plans (and self-submission records) from it's search results. You should be able to find the record either by going to the "Administration" view (http://redbox.url/redbox/administration/search) or in the Researcher Dashboard view the Browse menu is hidden but it's still accessible via the url (http://redbox.url/redbox/dashboard/search).

Andrew

Katrina Trewin

Jul 11, 2018, 8:03:10 AM7/11/18
to ReDBox
Hi there Andrew,

Could I just clarify that in the Administration view, if I can see that the only owner of a 'Draft' plan is admin, then I can safely assume it has been deleted by whichever researcher created it and as far as they're concerned, it is gone?

With Thanks,
Katrina

Katrina Trewin

Jul 11, 2018, 8:55:00 AM7/11/18
to ReDBox
Actually that seems not to be the case - records which only have admin as owner in administration view have a researcher owner when viewed in the dashboard. How are we supposed to tell which ones can be safely deleted?
Sorry - I must be missing something obvious..?

Andrew Brazzatti

Jul 12, 2018, 1:18:25 AM7/12/18
to redbo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Katrina,

If a researcher clicks "delete" then it should look like this in the owner dialog from the researcher dashboard

And like this in the administration view

If you're seeing something different to this there might be something preventing the record from being updated appropriately?

Thanks,
Andrew​

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups ReDBox group. To post to this group, send email to redbo...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to redbox-repo+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/redbox-repo?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ReDBox" group.

Katrina Trewin

Jul 12, 2018, 1:30:52 AM7/12/18
to redbo...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Andrew,

I am seeing exactly that in the administration view, but when I look at the dashboard ownership there is still a staff id listed as owner.

There is a new one there today, still called [Untitled].

I was wanting to clean up the massive list of [Untitled] plans which fill up the admin login view of the dashboard, but now I am worried they still belong to people.

There are plans (with titles) in the admin view that have both ‘admin’ and staff IDs under the ‘Manage access’ section on the right:

And then there are many (with and without titles) that are like this:

But when you look in the dashboard ownership they have staff owners.

Thanks for your response and please let me know if this is an issue we need to raise a ticket about.

Best wishes,

Katrina

Andrew Brazzatti

Jul 12, 2018, 10:28:12 PM7/12/18
to redbo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Katrina,

Sorry I think I misinterpreted your question. OK I think it is behaving correctly then. There isn't a method at the moment to easily identify "genuine" untitled records, one thing that is lacking in ReDBox 1.x is comprehensive RDMP and self-submission record management from an "administration perspective". This is something we are planning on addressing in ReDBox 2, initially this will be via the Reporting functionality to build lists of records matching criteria but building screens designed explicitly for common site administration/record management tasks is in the pipeline. Saying that, this issue in particular with [Untitled] records created by users by accident will not be a problem in ReDBox 2 as it won't create a record until it has been saved with a minimal amount of (configurable) mandatory fields!

There's a few workarounds that you could use to clean these records up:
  1. You could use the exports functionality to get a complete dump of the DMPs in CSV format. Opening it up in a spreadsheet tool and filtering records by owner = admin and having the dc_title= [Untitled]. Then using the storage_id to search in the portal and deleting them 1 by 1
  2. To save on the filtering in the spreadsheet, if you have access to a technical person you can from the server use a curl to query solr and get a more targeted CSV output
  3. Combine method 2 with a script to take the record ids and delete them for you.
I've sent you something off list to try and work towards option 3 which I'll share with everyone once I've got it working.