Upgrading solr in Mint?

Max Sheng

Jul 16, 2013, 8:32:51 PM7/16/13
to redbo...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

We found that Mint 1.5 is using solr 3.3. Is it possible to upgrade solr to version 4.x? If so, how or are there any documentations on that? Your help is highly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Max

Duncan Dickinson

Jul 16, 2013, 8:59:06 PM7/16/13
to ReDBox User List
Hi Max,

The QCIF ReDBox team hasn't done any work around upgrading to Solr 4 at this stage.

Cheers,

Duncan

--
-- Website: http://www.redboxresearchdata.com.au

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups ReDBox group. To post to this group, send email to redbo...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to redbox-repo...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/redbox-repo?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ReDBox" group.

Cheers,

Duncan

Duncan Dickinson
QCIF Project Manager
Central Queensland University

Contact me:
monday to thursday
ph: 07 3138 2084
m: 0432 402 511
skype: de.dickinson

website | calendar | LinkedIn

Duncan Dickinson

Jul 16, 2013, 9:03:22 PM7/16/13
to ReDBox User List
Sorry Max, I hit send before finishing that one.

The QCIF ReDBox team hasn't done any work around upgrading to Solr 4 at this stage.

You could try out a shift to Solr 4 by updating the Maven POMs:
    • The POM grabs the SOLR dependencies
I admit that I'm not well-versed in this part of the codebase but if you're game to try I'd love to know how it went.

Cheers,

Duncan

Max Sheng

Jul 17, 2013, 1:29:35 AM7/17/13
to redbo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Duncan,

Thanks for your prompt reply.
Does that mean we have to build it (never built before)?

Thanks
Max

Max Sheng

Jul 17, 2013, 2:12:15 AM7/17/13
to redbo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Duncan,

Cheers,

Max Sheng

Technical Administrative Officer, Library Repository Services, UNSW Library

UNSW Library | The University of New South Wales | UNSW Sydney NSW 2052 AUSTRALIA | CRICOS Provider Code: 00098G

Duncan Dickinson

Jul 17, 2013, 5:58:07 PM7/17/13
to ReDBox User List
Hi Max,

I think that you'll have to do the following in order to get Solr 4 running but I'd appreciate anyone correcting me:
  1. Checkout the Indexer plugin at https://github.com/the-fascinator/the-fascinator/tree/master/plugins/indexer/solr
  2. Edit the POM to point to the Solr version you're after (also set a new version number for the POM. Maybe 1.1.5-UNSW)
  3. Run mvn install on the updated code to deploy it into your local maven repo
  4. Checkout the ReDBox project at https://github.com/redbox-mint/redbox (or Mint if that's what you're wanting)
  5. Set the indexer plugin version to the one you just deployed (see https://github.com/redbox-mint/redbox/blob/master/pom.xml#L132), set a new POM version and deploy (mvn install)
If you use an institutional build you'd need to update that or maybe you could skip item 5 and use the inst build to over-ride the indexer version called by the ReDBox POM.

You may have to update the Solr schema file as well....

It sounds a bit complicated but should be reasonably straight-forward. You'll see pretty quickly if Solr4 won't work as a harvest or the portal should give pretty quick feedback.

Cheers,

Duncan

Max Sheng

Jul 22, 2013, 7:05:24 PM7/22/13
to redbo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Duncan for your detailed build instructions. I will give it a go, probably in Aug. too busy this month:), and let you know how it goes