ReDBox Cloud (NeCTAR Heat) Training session

Andrew Brazzatti

Dec 9, 2014, 5:58:31 PM12/9/14
to ReDBox Developer List, redbo...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

The development team has been working on a project over the past 6 months to deliver a "cloud friendly" version of ReDBox deployable to the NeCTAR cloud. It is now possible to get a working instance of ReDBox running in the cloud with minimal technical intervention.

These new features will be beneficial to:
  1. Those who may not have technical teams with developers to set up a ReDBox instance
  2. Research teams who may have a need a ReDBox instance to catalogue their research data
  3. Institutions developing ReDBox to easily spin up and tear down development and test instances of their ReDBox build
For existing institutions already working with ReDBox, as well as being able to get development and test instances running quickly, there were a number of features worked on that may have benefits to your production instance:
  • Puppet scripts for deployment of ReDBox (currently only for ReDHat/CentOS based operating systems)
  • A new ReDBox insitutional build that removes the need for Maven
  • A new ReDBox administration interface that will make some configuration and maintenance tasks simpler
On Thursday 11 December at 12pm EDT we will have a training session which will cover these new features and demonstrate how to use the NeCTAR stacks functionality to deploy ReDBox in the cloud. If you would like to attend please let me know by replying either to me directly or the mailing list email.

The session will be run via video conference, I'll let you know later today which application we will be using as it is dependent on the number of attendees we will be expecting :)

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew Brazzatti

Dec 10, 2014, 12:49:14 AM12/10/14
to ReDBox Developer List, redbo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to everyone that replied with their interest. For those that are unable to attend, our documentation for this new feature is available here. It's still a work in progress but there should be enough information to deploy a working ReDBox instance in the NeCTAR cloud.

Additionally, if you'd like to view the slides for tomorrow's presentation they are available here

Andrew