external parties - what is the correct approach when they can't be found by searching NLA?

Christopher McAvaney

May 28, 2017, 8:40:12 PM5/28/17
to ReDBox
G'day,

This could be a stupid question, but what the heck.

We have a data record I am assisting our Library with curating and there is an external creator that we would like to attach to the record.
But when we search NLA we can't find a match.

So, what is the approach to have them (external creators) curate correctly?
I must be missing something.

Regards,
Christopher

Andrew Brazzatti

May 28, 2017, 10:34:31 PM5/28/17
to redbo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christopher,

I'm not sure on what the best practice on this would be but in the latest version of ReDBox (version 1.9) the form has the ability to:
  1. search for ORCIDs (it's another tab in the search dialog). This unfortunately isn't as nice to use as we'd like it to be as the owner of the ORCID has a lot of control over what metadata is publicly exposed and many of the records have little more than the person's name but if you can select the right identifier it should be sent through correctly to RDA.
  2. enter an identifier for the party in a free text field
I guess using the ORCID would be the better identifier to use but if the external creator is already present in Research Data Australia with a local identifier, then you could copy that value and paste it into the form.

Thanks,
Andrew

--
-- Website: http://www.redboxresearchdata.com.au

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups ReDBox group. To post to this group, send email to redbo...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to redbox-repo+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/redbox-repo?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ReDBox" group.

Kerry Levett

May 28, 2017, 10:51:48 PM5/28/17
to redbo...@googlegroups.com, Kathryn Unsworth
Hi Christopher

From ANDS' perspective, Andrew's suggestion of using an ORCID as the identifier is best practice.

You can connect this researcher to a collection via relatedInfo with an appropriate relation, and their name will show up under the title with other parties that have been linked to the collection via relatedObject.

You can also use a local identifier for the party, but we strongly suggest also including a globally unique, persistent identifier, and most of these (ResearcherID, Scopus ID etc) seem to point to ORCID.

(I've cc'ed Kathryn in on this in case you have any more questions).

Regards
Kerry

Kerry Levett
Research Data Consultant | Australian National Data Service
T:
+61 8 7228 6233 | E:  kerry....@ands.org.au | W:  ands.org.au

Address: eRSA, Hedge House, Building 14 Little Queen St Thebarton SA 5031

Working days: Mondays (9:30-2:30), and Tuesdays and Wednesdays (9:30 - 4:30).

On 29 May 2017 at 12:04, Andrew Brazzatti <and...@redboxresearchdata.com.au> wrote:
[...]

Christopher McAvaney

May 29, 2017, 1:15:57 AM5/29/17
to ReDBox, kathryn....@ands.org.au
G'day Kerry,

Thanks for that info.
My question specifically relates to ReDBox as that tool is how we generate the RIF-CS that is harvested by RDA.
So, if there isn't a way to get those identifiers in place via the ReDBox user interface, it becomes a problem.

Regards,
Christopher

On Monday, 29 May 2017 12:51:48 UTC+10, Kerry Levett wrote:
Hi Christopher

From ANDS' perspective, Andrew's suggestion of using an ORCID as the identifier is best practice.

On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 10:10 AM, Christopher McAvaney <christophe...@deakin.edu.au> wrote:
G'day,

This could be a stupid question, but what the heck.

We have a data record I am assisting our Library with curating and there is an external creator that we would like to attach to the record.
But when we search NLA we can't find a match.

So, what is the approach to have them (external creators) curate correctly?
I must be missing something.

Regards,
Christopher
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups ReDBox group. To post to this group, send email to redbo...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to redbox-repo...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/redbox-repo?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ReDBox" group.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups ReDBox group. To post to this group, send email to redbo...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to redbox-repo...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/redbox-repo?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ReDBox" group.

Christopher McAvaney

May 29, 2017, 1:20:08 AM5/29/17
to ReDBox
G'day Andrew,

Is that demo of v1.9 up to test this concept?
I missed the window when that was up a while back.

Regards,
Christopher

On Monday, 29 May 2017 12:34:31 UTC+10, andrew wrote:
[...]

Andrew Brazzatti

May 30, 2017, 2:38:58 AM5/30/17
to redbo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christopher,

Apologies the environment was down but we've brought it back up for you to have a look at. it's now running on the standard demo url http://demo.redboxresearchdata.com.au/redbox/default/home

In the new interface you'll notice the lookup dialog has a ORCID tab where you can search for a person by name

Or you can enter an identifier directly using the "enter text" link under the lookup link

Thanks,
Andrew

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups ReDBox group. To post to this group, send email to redbo...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to redbox-repo+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/redbox-repo?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ReDBox" group.

Christopher McAvaney

May 30, 2017, 10:01:20 PM5/30/17
to ReDBox
Apologies - what are the login credentials for the demo site again?
Thanks,
Christopher

Andrew Brazzatti

May 31, 2017, 2:22:51 AM5/31/17
to redbo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christopher,

You can use the following:

username: admin
password: rbadmin

Thanks,
Andrew

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups ReDBox group. To post to this group, send email to redbo...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to redbox-repo+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/redbox-repo?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ReDBox" group.

Christopher McAvaney

May 31, 2017, 7:20:24 AM5/31/17
to ReDBox
Thanks.

Feedback on the lookup widget.
The details link should open a new window/tab and not load over the edit screen, otherwise the user looses context and potential unsaved changes.

Regards,
Christopher