How to check out source using svn?

red5_beginner

Jan 17, 2010, 8:47:14 PM1/17/10
to red5

I just watched this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3KYd_Xz_U4

I am confused by the beginning of the video (around 0:35), where it
explains how to check out the source code using svn.

Here are my questions:

1) Do I need to install Subversion? If so, where exactly on their
site do I get it?
http://subversion.tigris.org/
Should I get the binary or the source code?
(I'm using Windows XP)

2) stupid question: a "terminal" is a command prompt I assume....
right?

3) The video mentions a "workspace directory"...where exactly do I
create that and what do I name it?
I'm assuming that is the directory I should have my command prompt in
when I run the svn command...is that true?

4) When I paste in the svn command in my command prompt, I get the
following message:
'svn' is not recognized as an internal or external command.

I am assuming that's because I don't have Subversion...right?

So far, all I've done is install Red5 and eclipse. So I'm assuming my
next step is what I've described above...to install Subversion and
check out the code, then install the Red5Plugin.

Michael Hollenbeck

Jan 17, 2010, 8:52:02 PM1/17/10
to red5in...@googlegroups.com

For windows, I would recommend tortoiseSVN.

Dominick Accattato

Jan 17, 2010, 9:07:23 PM1/17/10
to red5in...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

You do not need to check out any code to run the Red5Plugin so long as you have Red5 on your machine. Do you have a version of Red5 installed on your machine? By the way, you are installing it on Windows, and unfortunately, I've heard of people having trouble.. I still have to take a look at why this is happening. It could be any number of things such as the plugins you have installed... but my guess is that you have a clean version of eclipse per the discussion in the previous post.. So anyway, I still have to try installing on my windows machine..

Dominick Accattato

Jan 17, 2010, 9:08:25 PM1/17/10
to red5in...@googlegroups.com
that said, you can still develop and run red5 applications using other methods that I cover in the Red5 Developer Series. I suggest you go with the alternate methods till we can get the plugin working.

red5_beginner

Jan 17, 2010, 9:23:40 PM1/17/10
to red5
I have downloaded TortoiseSVN and installed it but when I type in
'svn' in my command prompt, it doesn't recognize it. How do I get it
to work in my command prompt?
Thanks

Andy Shaules

Jan 17, 2010, 9:41:29 PM1/17/10
to red5in...@googlegroups.com
Add the tortoise bin to your path.

C:/Program Files/TortoiseSVN/bin/

If its not then you will need to use the whole path to the executable.

C:/Program Files/TortoiseSVN/bin/TortoiseProc.exe /command:checkout
/url:svnUrl /path:c/checkOutDir

But if you have tortoise installed, just make a new folder and right-click
it. Choose checkout, and use the red5 svn url in the dialog.

red5_beginner

Jan 18, 2010, 12:46:20 PM1/18/10
to red5
Thanks, I've done as you said:
right clicked on a directory and chose check out.

I've checked it out, but now it doesn't do any good? Eclipse does not
know about it.

How will eclipse know where I put it?

How to tell eclipse where I put it? Was I supposed to put it in my
eclipse workspace directory? If not, where was I supposed to check it
out to?

Thanks

Andy Shaules

Jan 18, 2010, 1:14:15 PM1/18/10
to red5in...@googlegroups.com
chose, 'new java project' and 'make from existing source', and then browse
to the directory.

Jan 18, 2010, 1:45:15 PM1/18/10
to red5
Hi Dominick, this was a great video, its always a struggle to get up
and running with completely new tools, you've made it as painless as
possible here.

so I've gotten Ivy, Subclipse, red5 plugin all installed and running.
in the build.xml file, i ran dist[default] as an ant build. it
successfully created a new distribution.

however, when i tried to run it in a terminal, i got this error:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad
version number in .class file
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:
124)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:260)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:56)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:280)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:374)

any ideas?

i am eager to get red5 up and running in production. basically, we are
trying to stream videos into a flash video player and be able to seek
to a location in the movie that hasn't been downloaded yet.

Mondain

Jan 18, 2010, 1:48:24 PM1/18/10
to red5in...@googlegroups.com

Dominick Accattato

Jan 18, 2010, 2:34:44 PM1/18/10
to red5in...@googlegroups.com
right, as Paul mentioned, you need to have a JRE 1.6 on your machine. What's happening is that you are building the distribution against the JDK 1.6 but are running the distribution against 1.5. You can check this by typing "java -version" in your terminal.

Owen Corso

Jan 18, 2010, 8:23:46 PM1/18/10
to red5
ok i gotcha,
what is the easiest way to switch between java versions? can i create
a distribution that runs on java 5?