Streaming other containers like MP4 or WebM sources

Rafael Linux User

Mar 10, 2017, 7:33:25 AM3/10/17
to red5
Hello
I just got to run Red5 on OpenSUSE and most of local examples are working. Anyway, all players of demo are Flash players using an FLV video but I don't want to use flash anymore, but HTML5 and MP4, WebM or Ogg/Vorbis.

Please, is there any example of this? What I need to change to do it?

Thank you

Rajdeep Rath

Mar 10, 2017, 7:41:24 AM3/10/17
to red5in...@googlegroups.com
Hello

Welcome to red5 and great to hear that you got things running on Suse linux.

The open source version offers rtmp streaming only. So I guess that goes synonymous with flash.

If you want to use mp4 etc to support standard html5 playback you have two options.

1. Just use red5 open source as a normal webserver and drop your html5 encoded media in a directory accessible to web. The simple embed the media URL in a HTML5 player and playback. - but then that's not red5 streaming.

2. Look at red5pro which has vod playback options for non flash clients - RTSP / HLS

Regards
Rajdeep Rath

--

---

Rafael Linux User

Mar 10, 2017, 9:12:43 AM3/10/17
to red5
Thank you Rajdeep

Well, the site will be for a public administration, so we will use only open source, but they need to publish in real time some public events. So, after reading your reply, I think Red5 open source version is not our best option, isn't it?
Rajdeep Rath

Rajdeep Rath

Mar 10, 2017, 9:38:23 AM3/10/17
to red5in...@googlegroups.com
If you need to publish live events. I guess you can always do publishing 'live' over rtmp and playback over rtmp or hls. There is a hls plugin for the open source (I have little knowledge on that). Perhaps that will suffice your need ?

Perhaps you can state the following

1. What are your needs ? - you may share it if it is publicly sharable.

2. Why are you looking at red5 in the first place ?

3. Are you going to do live streaming or video on demand ?

4. What kind of subscriber do you wish to target ? On desktop / on mobile ...

Regards
Rajdeep Rath

Rafael Linux User

Mar 10, 2017, 4:07:43 PM3/10/17
to red5
Well, good questions to clarify what we need.

El viernes, 10 de marzo de 2017, 15:38:23 (UTC+1), Rajdeep Rath escribió:
If you need to publish live events. I guess you can always do publishing 'live' over rtmp and playback over rtmp or hls. There is a hls plugin for the open source (I have little knowledge on that). Perhaps that will suffice your need ?

Perhaps you can state the following

1. What are your needs ? - you may share it if it is publicly sharable.

We have monthly a minimum of 1 and up to 5 public live events that we want to publish in realtime. We want to let that videos as links after the event, but that's not a challengue.

2. Why are you looking at red5 in the first place ?

 Because we are looking for a reliable streaming server based on Open Source and GNU/GPL licensed. At this time, apparently Red5 is a good choice because is maintained  and updated recently.

3. Are you going to do live streaming or video on demand ?
We are looking only for live streaming. VOD is not neccesary. We will let live streamed videos  recorded and available to see as a webpage or even in YouTube.

4. What kind of subscriber do you wish to target ? On desktop / on mobile ...
Both. But if we need to choose, on desktop.

Thank you for your quick reply

Rajdeep Rath

Mar 10, 2017, 6:39:59 PM3/10/17
to red5in...@googlegroups.com
1. Red5pro is for live streaming. you can then record the streams within red5pro while streaming live. Then use ffmpeg to convert flv to mp4 and WebM and serve from the same red5pro server (which is a standard tomcat Java server as well )

2. Yes red5pro is open source you can add extra functionality by coding if you need to.

3. There are a few solutions to get hls from rtmp stream in red5pro. You should explore them if you think of going that way.

4. You can play the rtmp streams in flash player / VLC / Android players that support rtmp.

5. You can play rtmp streams on mobile via Adobe AIR. ( Dont say I hate flash .. cause it hurts ;) )

All of the points I stated here uses open source / open platform solutions. Let me know if you have more questions.

Regards
Rajdeep Rath

Rafael Linux User

Mar 12, 2017, 4:31:04 PM3/12/17
to red5in...@googlegroups.com
In our case, we have DataVideo hardware, that will record and simultaneosly will stream live video. As I said, we will use only HTML5 video tag  using Ogg/Theora/Vorbis or WebM codecs. We are not interested on using any propietary (flash based) technology . So, please, what we will need to make Red5 work in this way. That's to say, imagine we have a video streaming (mp4) coming from 1.1.1.1:1111 and we want to broadcast that stream thru an HTML5 webpage. Is there any example about this case? All examples included in Red5 are flash based, so I don't know how to get what we need.

Thank you

---