Kinect Zoom?

Kurt Betton

Feb 20, 2012, 12:57:48 PM2/20/12
to ReconstructMe
Has anybody tried, or considered, the Kinect Zoom while using
ReconstructMe? From what I can tell it's an optical lens that slides
over the kinect's camera to adjust the focus.

I'm not privy to its exact specifications so can't make any specific
requests/ recommendations, but the thought occured that there's a
possibility the "adjusted" optics may help (or hurt?) resolution
during a scan.

This isn't a recommendation to try it, I'm just curious if anybody has
already (and what their results were). If not, I can be the guinea pig
come March 2012.

http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-Kinect-Xbox-360/dp/B0050SYS5A (Note the
polarizing mixed reviews, particularly those hinting at quality/
consistency problems).

Regards,
Kurt Betton

P.S. I was late to the party so waiting on the public BETA. :
( March can't come fast enough...

rayxi...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2012, 1:47:54 PM2/20/12
to recons...@googlegroups.com
Chris:

I'm also interested to know if we can use this one or you have a list of cameras for us to choose from? If this one will work please let us know so I can start to order from Amazon, thanks.

Ray

Kondor1

Feb 20, 2012, 2:58:44 PM2/20/12
to ReconstructMe
I just want to let you all know, i already have a Nyko Zoom on the
front of my Kinect to test with/without.

On Feb 20, 12:57 pm, Kurt Betton <bettonrac...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anybody tried, or considered, the Kinect Zoom while using
> ReconstructMe? From what I can tell it's an optical lens that slides
> over the kinect's camera to adjust the focus.
>
> I'm not privy to its exact specifications so can't make any specific
> requests/ recommendations, but the thought occured that there's a
> possibility the "adjusted" optics may help (or hurt?) resolution
> during a scan.
>
> This isn't a recommendation to try it, I'm just curious if anybody has
> already (and what their results were). If not, I can be the guinea pig
> come March 2012.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-Kinect-Xbox-360/dp/B0050SYS5A(Note the

Philip Wheat

Feb 20, 2012, 3:32:14 PM2/20/12
to recons...@googlegroups.com
As do I - I'm ready to test. We're using it with our Board of Awesomeness
project and I can say it does make a difference in the depth sensing. It'll
be interesting to see how it distorts any recognition from the image stream.

Christoph Heindl

Feb 21, 2012, 1:54:37 AM2/21/12
to recons...@googlegroups.com
Am Montag, 20. Februar 2012 21:32:14 UTC+1 schrieb Philip...@gmail.com:
As do I - I'm ready to test.  We're using it with our Board of Awesomeness
project and I can say it does make a difference in the depth sensing.  It'll
be interesting to see how it distorts any recognition from the image stream.

I think that zoom lenses will require a recalibration of the sensor, since it will modify the focal length. We will allow custom calibrations in the ReconstructMe Lite (the free version of ReconstructMe) to be released in march. I doubt that you will get meaningful (metric) results for phase 3 of the beta program (to be released today, when internal testers have finished pending tests :)

Best
Christoph

Christoph Heindl

Feb 21, 2012, 1:55:51 AM2/21/12
to recons...@googlegroups.com
Am Montag, 20. Februar 2012 19:47:54 UTC+1 schrieb rayxi...@gmail.com:

I'm also interested to know if we can use this one or you have a list of cameras for us to choose from? If this one will work please let us know so I can start to order from Amazon, thanks.

We have tested with the following devices:
 - XBox Kinect
 - Asus Xtion PRO Live

Are there any other RGB-D cameras around that work with OpenNI?

Christoph Heindl

Feb 21, 2012, 1:57:29 AM2/21/12
to recons...@googlegroups.com

Am Montag, 20. Februar 2012 18:57:48 UTC+1 schrieb Kurt Betton:
Has anybody tried, or considered, the Kinect Zoom while using
ReconstructMe? From what I can tell it's an optical lens that slides
over the kinect's camera to adjust the focus.

We might order one and do a recalibration of the sensor (which is think will be necessary to receive metric values again). I have the impression that the zoom lense makes the field of view wider, but I don't think that it increases the resolution for nearby objects.

MagWeb

Feb 21, 2012, 11:21:09 AM2/21/12
to ReconstructMe
Just tested adding 2.0+ glasses to the Kinect using beta_109:

As expected there are calibration problems in decoding the depth data
AND tracking the cam.
ReconstructMe accepts the Kinect with glasses. As long as you do not
move the Kinect the depth data are decoded, but the resulting scene is
distorted (flat surfaces are bowed)
Now if you move the cam you can add data to the scene in a certain
range of movement (I think this is within some accepted error range) .
Moving it further it seems that tracking of the cam is lost.

I think the wide angle lense of the Nyko lens will simply expand your
volume and accordingly will loose data density. As said before: Think
only a real zoom lens (narrowing the angle of view and projection)
will have advantages in puncto resolution for it condenses the out/
input resolution to a smaller region