audio recaptcha: completely impossible

Alyssa310

Aug 2, 2012, 12:42:36 AM8/2/12
to reca...@googlegroups.com
Now I know posts with this complaint have been made before, but it really bothers me that the audio recaptcha can no longer be solved. It used to be solvable, but now, a text to speech voice is used for the audio captcha, and everything sounds the same with words impossible to pull out. Now some people may say that the captcha is solvable, and anyone even a "two year old" could solve it. That was posted on another thread with the same complaint. However, I politely ask, if you find that assertion true, please help by showing me an example of how it is done. If someone who could solve the audio captcha would please go to <a href="http://www.google.com/recaptcha/learnmore">this site</a>, download the mp3 for an audio captcha, solve it, attach the file to your thread, and write the correct answer? Because I am not the only person who has had this trouble, I believe that showing an example of one of the new audio captchas with its solution on this thread would not only help me, but it would also help others who are having the same problem.
I thank you in advance for this, if you can solve the audio captcha. It would be extremely helpful, and it would help me to pick out and understand the words being said by the TTS voice that speaks the words.
--Alyssa

Will C.

Aug 2, 2012, 12:45:54 AM8/2/12
to reca...@googlegroups.com
I believe the problem isn't the TTS itself so much as the distortion in the background.
I think if they could make it a little more clear, it would be easier to understand.
I can solve the audio captcha's but it is a little harder since they've used the distorted tts.
But they use the distortion to make it harder for bots to recognize the speech, I guess.

Will
Message has been deleted

Alyssa310

Aug 2, 2012, 12:55:12 AM8/2/12
to reca...@googlegroups.com
sorry about that HTML in my original post. I thought it would be accepted, but apparently not. I tried to edit the tags out to just let the site be a link, but I can't find an edit button. Sorry, and please do not let this bother you.

Alyssa310

Aug 2, 2012, 8:52:19 AM8/2/12
to reca...@googlegroups.com
@Will C. :
Then since you could solve them, could you please shoe an example with the solution as discussed in my first post? This way, I can know exactly what to listen for after analyzing the audio and comparing it to the solution?
Thank you in advance.

--Alyssa

Will C.

Aug 2, 2012, 11:41:37 AM8/2/12
to reca...@googlegroups.com
I don't think honestly there is any way to do that which would help you.  I do have difficulty solving them sometimes, but I just have to listen much closer to solve them.
I will try to come up with something that might help you with them, but not sure I can.
Hopefully in the future, they will find a way to make the audio captcha's more clear, so we can understand them easier, and yet keep them secure.

Will

Alyssa310

Aug 2, 2012, 4:58:58 PM8/2/12
to reCAPTCHA
I see. I have tried to solve the audio captchas many times, and I
cannot do so. I tried even downloading the mp3 file and slowing it
down with audio editing software. I even tried raising the pitch,
noise reduction, and equalizers. I still cannot get one correct. I
personally like the captcha at https://www.fanfiction.net/login.php I
can always get it and it seems secure. If only google would actually
listen to us when we explain the problem; it would really help to have
the audio captcha changed.
--Alyssa

On Aug 2, 11:41 am, "Will C." <hallowsdra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think honestly there is any way to do that which would help you.  I do have difficulty solving them sometimes, but I just have to listen much closer to solve them.
> I will try to come up with something that might help you with them, but not sure I can.
> Hopefully in the future, they will find a way to make the audio captcha's more clear, so we can understand them easier, and yet keep them secure.
>
> Will

Liselotte

Aug 6, 2012, 7:43:06 AM8/6/12
to reca...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alyssa,
I can't either. I can't solve the audio reCAPTCHA's. I am low sighted, so I try the regular reCAPTCHA's, but sometimes I think they look worse with my 1.5 times screen magnification and 20 pt minimum font size (I use Chrome browser, those are my settings). Or they just resolve outside of the box, with only the heads or feet of the letters visible.

This is going to seem really stupid, and I HAVE read the LEARNMORE webpage URL. I have read it many times, in fact! I am uncertain what I should be responding to the audio reCAPTCHA though. Is the correct answer a series of words? Are they only words, no numbers?

I have never successfully answered an audio reCAPTCHA and no longer even try. That is why I would really find it helpful if someone were to respond to your request. I am not demanding this of Will C or anyone else in particular! But it would be great if Google or  whomever currently adminsters the reCAPTCHA would provide a sample audio reCAPTCHA, accompanied by a correct response in text.

If Google were to do this, I would suggest this, so that it could be found easily by those in need: Post it on the official Google reCAPTCHA blog. The blog has not had a new post since maybe 2010.

Thank you to anyone who reads this, and who might be able to respond to this request.
Yours truly,
Ellie

Will C.

Aug 6, 2012, 11:17:14 AM8/6/12
to reca...@googlegroups.com
As I stated in an earlier post, I agreed that the distortion is too much on the audio captcha, but I also stated that my understanding is that they are working on it and trying to find a way to make it both easy to understand, but yet keep it secure.

Will

Aug 6, 2012, 6:35:21 PM8/6/12
to reca...@googlegroups.com
I guess that post didn't show up on the web interface. I only just subscribed to this by email. Glad someone agrees though, and I definitely do hope they're working on it.

Simon

Joe B

May 8, 2013, 11:48:31 AM5/8/13
to reca...@googlegroups.com
I'm a developer and while testing reCAPTCHA, discovered that the audio version not only sounds scary, but it seems near impossible to solve.

Apparently I'm not the only one who feels this way:

 • http://youtu.be/beT3ChbjE9w
 • http://www.90percentofeverything.com/2012/09/05/another-reason-not-to-use-recaptcha/

This isn't good for web accessibility.

Aaron Newton

Feb 22, 2014, 10:52:05 PM2/22/14
to reca...@googlegroups.com
One thing that strikes me as odd is that the intro audio 'Please type every number you hear - spaces are not required' is not included in the RECAPTCHA audio for the version I have just created on one of my sites, but it is playing when I look at the demo here:

I agree that - even as a non-vision-impaired user - the audio version is close to impossible to solve.

Debra Rice

Feb 24, 2014, 10:33:27 AM2/24/14
to reca...@googlegroups.com

Will C,
That was incredibly poor response,  especially if you are an employee. It looks like you are an uninterested employee for Google's reCapcha failings. Make no mistake,  the distortion wipes the word or letter sounds; who knows. If you can't or won't help you might seek unemployment for awhile. Just wonder about until something strikes you as interesting. You're smart,  write catalogue code preventing double or triple mailings.  A "merge purdge" job daves millions each mailing for Williams Sonoma and others. There is no documented program written for it. I know Williams-Sonoma had the best. There is no documentation so they do not exclusively own the software.Just a thought.