lighting struck wood

Lee LaCroix

Mar 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/13/00
Hi Group,
Does anyone know of a source for lighting struck wood. I'm a flutemaker
who has a client that would like a flute crafted from lighting struck
wood.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Walt and Rose Marie

Mar 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/13/00
Give your client about an 18" stick. During a thunderstorm have him
stand in the middle of a field with said stick in mouth. Tell him to
keep licking his lips to get it nice and wet.
After he sees the flash, you run out and start carving the holes.

Kevin & Theresa Miller

Mar 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/13/00

Well, you could just put it in the microwave with some tinfoil. Yeah,
that would about do it...

...Kevin
--
Kevin & Theresa Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb

CW

Mar 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/13/00
Find a tree and mount an antenna in it. It WILL get hit.

--
CW
KC7NOD
Philip Lewis <phi...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Depends oh how many lumens yer lookin' for....
>
> You can always lay the wood on the garage floor, get a strobe light
> reaaaaalllly close and flash the thing....
>
> Oh...you meant Lightning struck wood.......nevermind
>
> Philski
>
> P.S. Get yer wood good 'n wet.. climb a radio tower during a
> thunderstrom... hold the wood waaay abover yer head.....
> Then say over and over..if Franklin can do it so can I!
>
> Good Luck...
>
> (What's that smell?)

Jon Schilling

Mar 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/13/00
Lee,
I know folks think it is a joke about the lightning struck wood.
I can't say for sure, but I think Ed Malthrop, the woodturner from Atlanta,
Georgia, always said that his purple Tulip Poplar bowls came from trees
struck by lightning.
I'd wager, if you were to contact him, he would
verify the lightning bit, and I'd up the ante betting
that he would get some lightning wood for you.
I have not seen him in 20 years, but I understand he is still active. He
has a son named Phillip who lives in the Atlanta area too.
Good luck,

--
Jon Schilling
Ridgefield, Wa USA (10 miles north of Portland, Ore)
"Lee LaCroix" <l...@echoespast.com> wrote in message

Larry Jaques

Mar 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/13/00
On Tue, 14 Mar 2000 05:24:20 GMT, Lee LaCroix <l...@echoespast.com>
cleverly suggested:

>God, I'm glad I sent this message to this newsgroup. Not only do you
>correct my
>spelling, which I really appreciate more than you know, but you've
>offered any
>number of really useful suggestions. I know I'll certainly try this
>newsgroup again
>when I have another problem that needs the inputs from a bunch of aging
>comics
>with nothing better to do. Christ, you just make a guy feel so welcome!
>Adios

Wait a minute, bub. What about this invoice? You owe $37.50 for each
response. Oh, and the 13.7% surcharge for being a Franchman.

I survived the D.C. Blizzard of 2000...from California.
----------------------------
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

Al Taylor

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
On Mon, 13 Mar 2000 23:59:30 GMT, Lee LaCroix <l...@echoespast.com>
wrote:

>Hi Group,
>Does anyone know of a source for lighting struck wood. I'm a flutemaker
>who has a client that would like a flute crafted from lighting struck
>wood.
>Any help would be appreciated.
>Thanks

I would say wait for a big thunderstorm, and follow the bright flash
of light.

You might want to put on a garlic necklace the next time this person
comes around though...just to be on the safe side. : )

<<<The following is an excerpt from a post I found on the subject>>>

"I think I might have left out one important point about collecting
lightning struck wood--whatever you do--don't let it drop to the
ground--if it does, it loses its 'charge' of protection because the
energy is being 'grounded' out by Mother Earth--I think I left that
out of my post--my apologies....geeze...."
-anonymous

oh well, good luck

By the way, do you have a website of your work? If not, why don't you
post some pictures of your flutes on

alt.binaries.pictures.furniture or

alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I'd like to see them.

Al

foxeye

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
Just what is lightning suppoxsed to do to the wood to make a flute out
of it andy better than a non-struck tree's wood? I have pines, and
oaks and a hickory and some others on my place all struck by the big
power surge in the sky, and when I burn it in a woodstove it all burns
the same, as well as looks the same when I am cutting it up, and
splitting it. So tell us what makes lightning struck wood so much
prefered.

Just curious.
foxeye

Foxeye

"Remove nospam to send email"
nospam...@ddyne.com
fox...@nospamddyne.com
Just my .02 cents worth!

Philip Lewis

D.L.

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00

foxeye <fox...@ddyne.com> wrote in article
<38d18ba6...@news.ddyne.com>...

> Just what is lightning suppoxsed to do to the wood to make a flute out
> of it andy better than a non-struck tree's wood? I have pines, and
> oaks and a hickory and some others on my place all struck by the big
> power surge in the sky, and when I burn it in a woodstove it all burns
> the same, as well as looks the same when I am cutting it up, and
> splitting it. So tell us what makes lightning struck wood so much
> prefered.
>
> Just curious.
> foxeye
> On Tue, 14 Mar 2000 00:31:45 GMT, a...@bright.net (Al Taylor) wrote:

Probably about as much as those magnets do for foot pain in Dr. Scholls
"magnetic therapy" shoe inserts.....

But...the person that wants it is a customer, so I can only assume he is
going to charge apremium for this "rare" wood...and his troubles in
finding it.....

Which reminds me...I have a special deal for the NG...a few, rare, serial
numbered Lightning Struck, cast manganese bronze tooth picks..hand crafted
and comes in its own basswood display case with plexiglass lid so you can
show it off....all for a mere $699.95!

D.L.

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00

Kevin & Theresa Miller <at...@alaska.net> wrote in article
<38CDBBB0...@alaska.net>...

> Well, you could just put it in the microwave with some tinfoil. Yeah,
> that would about do it...
>
> ...Kevin
> --
> Kevin & Theresa Miller
> http://www.alaska.net/~atftb

Not to change the subject..but, well hell, yeah, to change the subject..I
used to have a combo microwave/convection oven and I could put metal in it
and use the microwave. It was designed for that. Now, any microwave gurus
out there know why? Did it operate at a different microwave frequency or
something? Special klystron tube or somehting?

I will admit that putting a small piece or two of "Pop-Tart" foil wrapping
in my current microwave is kinda fun....

Lee LaCroix

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00

Axel Grease

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
Lee LaCroix <l...@echoespast.com> wrote in article
<38CF1F24...@echoespast.com>...
> snipped the "inputs from a bunch of aging comics">

Seriously, your request is odd to say the least. It sounds like a Troll
job, a joke, or a legend of some kind. That impression is magnified by
your failure to mention the species of wood desired. If you and your
customer are serious, this probably came from some sort of Native American
legend ... maybe it's old and true ... or, maybe it's just some recently
made up mystical sounding blarney. A lot of that is being sold these days.
Anyway ...

Some lightening bolts reach the ground by passing through several trees at
once, thus dividing the charge between them unevenly. Trees with less
conductivity at the time of a lightening strike, receive lesser amounts of
current and survive. Many show little damage, outwardly, and heal over
time. What all that does to the grain structure and how it affects musical
qualities is a matter of chance, the species of tree in question, and the
ears of the musical audience.

What you need is not a company that deals in naturally scarred woods.
Those are kinda rare. What you need is a woodsman who knows some trees
that lightening has struck of the species, size, and damage/healing level
desired. Then you need a wood-cutter, a truck, a sawmill, a drying kiln,
and a fair amount of time for curing the wood.
Recommendation:
When you get the wood you want, also make some flutes from non-lightening
struck wood of the same species. That way you can see if lightening flutes
actually do sound better, or at least different, than wood that was not
lightening hit.

Axel

Dave Bennett

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
Lee LaCroix wrote:

> God, I'm glad I sent this message to this newsgroup. Not only do you
> correct my
> spelling, which I really appreciate more than you know, but you've
> offered any
> number of really useful suggestions. I know I'll certainly try this
> newsgroup again
> when I have another problem that needs the inputs from a bunch of aging
> comics

> with nothing better to do. Christ, you just make a guy feel so welcome!
> Adios

How about just going into a field where a tree has been hit and getting
some? Of course, I'd ask the owner of the field first. Almost weekly
throughout the Spring you see trees downed around here from lightning.
It isn't that uncommon, but I know of no one who actually labels the
stuff and markets it.

--

Dave Bennett

ScratchAnkleWood

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
Not sure I understand why you need to be concerned about letting lightning
struck trees fall to the ground because it will cause Mother Earth to ground it
and loose the charge of protection.

I realize we are kind of behind the times here in Scratch Ankle but I have
never in my entire life seen a tree that was not connected to the ground in
some way. Do you all have some new fangled type of tree that floats in the
air?

AL BIEN

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
Put in a call to a few of your local tree trimming companies right
after a thunderstorm. Bet they will give you enough to make a ton f
flutes.

Have a GREAT DAY~~ al

The tool man

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
Hi Lee:

If you have trouble finding lightning-struck wood, you could make your
own. Go to your nearest Ford dealership and purchase a Ford Lightning
truck. Choose a tree of the desired species, preferably close to the
road (and a hospital), and drive the Lightning into it. When you
recover from your injuries, you should have enough Lightning struck wood
to last you for a lifetime. If you don't need that much, you could cut
a branch from a tree and whack the Lightning with it. Of course, that
would be wood-struck Lightning, which isn't quite the same thing.

Seriously, though, what property does lightning impart to wood? I
understand that when lightning passes through the wood, it flashes the
moisture to steam, and can cause the wood to explode. I believe this
would only occur near the surface of the tree, unless it was hollow,
since electric current only travels on the outside of a conductor. If
this is true, the "effect" of the lightning would only be in the outer
layers of wood near the bark.

Regards,
John.

--
The right tool for the job is in your head.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Adam Weber

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
Must be a troll!

No mention was made of whether the lightning strike had to be upward or
downward. What an oversight!

Cheers

Adam

dann...@here.com

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
On Tue, 14 Mar 2000 05:24:20 GMT, Lee LaCroix <l...@echoespast.com>
wrote:

Why not just consider your original post:

>Does anyone know of a source for lighting struck wood. I'm a flutemaker
>who has a client that would like a flute crafted from lighting struck
>wood.

Seriously: Where would *you* expect someone to know where to find a
retailer who would actually sell wood from a tree supposedly struck by
lightning? ...and for what exact purpose would such a person stock
this wood (other than for one person's desire to make flutes)? What
distinctive non-shaman properties would this wood have that make it
preferable to wood from a similar tree *not* struck by lightning? And
incidentally, just what make of tree did you have in mind?

It might help if you could be more informative yourself before casting
aspersions upon others.

Dan.

Al Taylor

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00

Awwwww, now don't get your shorts in an uproar.

I mean come on!...Lightning struck wood for a flute...?!

Whadda ya expect? I don't remember correcting your spelling though.

But seriously, I would like to see some of your work. I bought a flute
from a fellow that makes his own at an arts festival we have each year
in this area. I've been playing around with it and am interested in
other types.

This one is I guess you would call an American Indian type.

I am aging and a bit of a comic, but don't take it to heart.

Al

wrote:

>God, I'm glad I sent this message to this newsgroup. Not only do you

drve...@my-deja.com

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
In article <38CED305...@echoespast.com>,

Lee LaCroix <l...@echoespast.com> wrote:
> Hi Group,
> Does anyone know of a source for lighting struck wood. I'm a
flutemaker
> who has a client that would like a flute crafted from lighting struck
> wood.
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks

I have seen lumber that was cut from lightning damaged trees, and I
never observed any differences. So, just how will anyone proove that
the wood was actually cut from a tree that was struck by lightning?

Brook

Mark

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
Folks,

Lee LaCroix had an unusual request, but not a bizarre one. As to why
his/her client wants a flute made out of lightning-struck wood, who
cares ?
Maybe it's tonal, maybe it's aesthetic, maybe it's sentimental.

Why would he think we'd know, anyways ? After all, we only buy:
* domestics
* exotics
* diseased wood
* rotting wood
* abnormal growths
* 100-1000 year old lumber
and so on.

And now my attempt at being helpful: Lee - recommend you contact your
municipality's landscaping department, local agricultural extension
office, and various commercial tree services to inquire about
lightning-damaged trees. All of these organizations remove damaged
trees frequently and they need to pay for disposal if someone doesn't
take it away.

Lightning-struck trees are not, IME, a commercial product.

-Mark

dann...@here.com wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Mar 2000 05:24:20 GMT, Lee LaCroix <l...@echoespast.com>
> wrote:
>

> Why not just consider your original post:
>

> >Does anyone know of a source for lighting struck wood. I'm a flutemaker
> >who has a client that would like a flute crafted from lighting struck
> >wood.
>

> Seriously: Where would *you* expect someone to know where to find a
> retailer who would actually sell wood from a tree supposedly struck by
> lightning? ...and for what exact purpose would such a person stock
> this wood (other than for one person's desire to make flutes)? What
> distinctive non-shaman properties would this wood have that make it
> preferable to wood from a similar tree *not* struck by lightning? And
> incidentally, just what make of tree did you have in mind?
>
> It might help if you could be more informative yourself before casting
> aspersions upon others.
>
> Dan.
>

> >God, I'm glad I sent this message to this newsgroup. Not only do you
> >correct my
> >spelling, which I really appreciate more than you know, but you've
> >offered any
> >number of really useful suggestions. I know I'll certainly try this
> >newsgroup again
> >when I have another problem that needs the inputs from a bunch of aging
> >comics
> >with nothing better to do. Christ, you just make a guy feel so welcome!
> >Adios

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Greg Bétit

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
I've got a soft maple in my yard that's been lightning struck. The
stricken part fell in the 'wooded' section, and I haven't cleaned it up
yet. It would still be considered green (got struck early last summer).
Soft maple doesn't seem like it would be a good candidate for a flute,
though. If it had been one of the black walnuts, you'd be in business.

Lawrence Wasserman

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
I may be in trouble for saying this, but the flutes I have seen have
been made out of metal.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
lwas...@charm.net

John Milton

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
This is just a guess, but if the strike killed the tree, and it was left a
while then the wood would have dried, at least somewhat "in place" prior
to felling. I do know that instrument builders get way obsessive about
issues around drying. (For understandable reasons) Perhaps such drying
yields better stock for such work?

Mark (mke...@nortelnetworks.com) wrote:
: Folks,

: -Mark

: >
: > >God, I'm glad I sent this message to this newsgroup. Not only do you

: > >correct my
: > >spelling, which I really appreciate more than you know, but you've
: > >offered any
: > >number of really useful suggestions. I know I'll certainly try this
: > >newsgroup again
: > >when I have another problem that needs the inputs from a bunch of aging
: > >comics
: > >with nothing better to do. Christ, you just make a guy feel so welcome!
: > >Adios

: .

Lee LaCroix

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
OK Al, I just finished ironing my shorts, so I'll try to answer your
reply. I've got
to tell you, though, when I post a message to a news group and the first
six replies
come back with all manner of humor and ridicule designed to make me feel

stupid, I got to ask if that's a news group I have any use for.
Fortunately, there
were some serious replies with good suggestions. To those people, I'd
like to
say thanks a bunch.
I've been a Native American flute maker for some years now. I specialize
in
crafting flutes from unusual and exotic wood. The Native American flute
community is quite large and as a group, they have always have a strong
spiritual side to their nature that is in some way connected to the
flute. I must
say also, that as a group they are the most sincere, honest, and caring
people
one would ever want to meet.
There are those who believe that a tree that has been struck by
lightning has
been touched by God and may be changed in some way by that event. It may

give special virtues to that flute that it might not otherwise have.
When I get
a special request from someone, no matter how strange, I always make a
good
faith effort to meet that request. Who of us doesn't have some strange
beliefs
that might not stand up in the light of pure logic.
I certainly am not an expert on the subject of lightning struck wood,
but I do
know that there is intense, and sudden heat involved. It doesn't seen to
far
fetched to me that there might be some change at the cellular level that
would
change the characteristics of the wood. I'd sure like to know though,
wouldn't
you?
If you are really interested in my work, I invite you to visit my
website. You
can find it at: http://www.echoespast.com.
Kindest Regards,
Lee LaCroix
Echoes Past

CW

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
Current traveling on the outside of a conductor, or skin effect, only
happens with AC and is only of consequence at higher frequencies. A
lightening bolt is DC and will pass through the entire thickness of a tree.

--
CW
KC7NOD
The tool man <john_...@infoave.net> wrote in message

> Seriously, though, what property does lightning impart to wood? I
> understand that when lightning passes through the wood, it flashes the
> moisture to steam, and can cause the wood to explode. I believe this
> would only occur near the surface of the tree, unless it was hollow,
> since electric current only travels on the outside of a conductor. If
> this is true, the "effect" of the lightning would only be in the outer
> layers of wood near the bark.
>
> Regards,
> John.
>
> --
> The right tool for the job is in your head.

(No spam)

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
Now honestly..... How many of you comics feel like an asshole?.....
Huh.....

Have a great 00!!!!!!~~~~neib~~~~

Bill Reynolds

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
I was wondering who would pick up on that.

BR
W4IRZ

Larry Jaques

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
On 14 Mar 2000 11:31:47 -0500, lwas...@fellspt.charm.net (Lawrence
Wasserman) cleverly suggested:

>I may be in trouble for saying this, but the flutes I have seen have
>been made out of metal.

Grasshopper uses only the freshest bamboo for his flutes.

Philip Lewis

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
When I was in Japan they had flutes made of Bamboo....but then they
called them Frutes!

Philski

Lawrence Wasserman wrote:

> I may be in trouble for saying this, but the flutes I have seen have
> been made out of metal.

Philip Lewis

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
Hey...I know I do...(feel like an asshole that is...) yep, I am as
sullen as you could ever imagine.....

Aw shucky-darn!

Philski

Philip Lewis

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
Personally, I was waiting for someone to suggest the
make-your-own-lightning-with-yer-own-Tesla-coil approach....

Philski

The tool man

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
I was going to argue with you, but I looked it up. You're right. For
some reason, I remembered that the skin effect was for all current.
Thanks for setting me straight.

Al Taylor

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00

Lee,

Just visited your website. Those are very nice, the one I got is a
more basic design. (It ain't as nice)

Sorry your first visit was a bad one, but for the most part we're a
good bunch of guys.

That part in my response about not letting the piece touch Mother
earth, was a snip from an actual post on the subject. You might ask
the person that was wanting the lightning struck wood if they have
ever heard it.

Al

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000 18:30:19 GMT, Lee LaCroix <l...@echoespast.com>
wrote:

>OK Al, I just finished ironing my shorts, so I'll try to answer your

Guy or Lesley Hilliard

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
While most modern flutes are made of metal (nickel/steel, silver, or
gold) traditional flutes and flute like instruments (fife, picolo,
recorder, etc.) were (and in some cases still are) made of wood.
There is a reason the guys playing the flutes are standing in the
WOODWIND section of the orchestra.

Guy Hilliard

On 14 Mar 2000 11:31:47 -0500, lwas...@fellspt.charm.net (Lawrence

Frank

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00

CW wrote:

> Current traveling on the outside of a conductor, or skin effect, only
> happens with AC and is only of consequence at higher frequencies. A
> lightening bolt is DC and will pass through the entire thickness of a tree.
>

> --

I believe it has more of an ac than a dc component. The waveform is a
very narrow pulse with an incredible steep rate of rise - extremely high
frequency. Thank god for the skin effect otherwise the protection form
lightning rods are of no use. Also people who have survived from
lightning strikes, most of the current travel outside of the body not
through the internal organs.

Philip Lewis

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
Well......

I played in an orchestra (brass section) and ALWAYS thought that the
reason they were called woodwinds is because the bozo's that played in
that section farted in their chairs.....

Philski

Buddy Matlosz

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
> Wait a minute, bub. What about this invoice? You owe $37.50 for each
> response. Oh, and the 13.7% surcharge for being a Franchman.

Franchman, are you nuts? Haven't you seen all the cans of LaCroix Chinese
food in the supermarkets?

B.

Buddy Matlosz

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00

Lawrence Wasserman <lwas...@fellspt.charm.net> wrote in message

> I may be in trouble for saying this, but the flutes I have seen have
> been made out of metal.

Oh, thanks a lot, Larry, just when the thread was getting interesting, you
render the whole thing off-topic!

B.

Buddy Matlosz

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00

> God, I'm glad I sent this message to this newsgroup. Not only do you
> correct my
> spelling, which I really appreciate more than you know, but you've
> offered any
> number of really useful suggestions. I know I'll certainly try this
> newsgroup again
> when I have another problem that needs the inputs from a bunch of aging
> comics
> with nothing better to do.

Lee, I just saw your website, your work is spectacular. But I also saw your
picture, and you're no slouch in the "aging" department yourself.

And I'm sorry I found your post funny, I just had this vision of a guy
playing a flute in an orchestra with his hair standing on end from the
electrical charge.

>Christ, you just make a guy feel so welcome!
> Adios

Actually, we ARE making you welcome, this is just the way we do it. You
should see the responses to some REALLY stupid questions.

Seriously, stick around, I'm sure you've got a lot to add to the group.

Buddy

Walt and Rose Marie

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
Can I get that in pink?

rose

Walt and Rose Marie

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
A good bunch of guys? GUYS?
THERE'S GALS OUT HERE TOO

*SLAAAAAAAAAAAPP P*
*THWOMP*
*KARATE CHOP*

Daniel Willard

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
I suspect you are about to make a ceremonial flute of some kind. Lightning
struck wood seems to be aligned with certain Spirits and is taken very
seriously in some circles. Select the type of wood you need and begin your
search in the area where that species grows. Perhaps you client will tell
you more also. Inquire of Native Americans in the area of the selected
species. Someone will get word to the local Medicine Person who will talk to
the appropriate Spirits and, if all goes well, you will get your lightning
struck wood. This could be an interesting project for you!

Perhaps being struck by lightning is preferred to being struck by angry
Spirits! Or maybe one in the same! Good luck and when in doubt, ask the
Spirits for guidance. You have nothing to loose! Language doesn't seem to be
a problem to them. You seem to have been singled out for a special Honor. Go
with it!

--

Daniel Willard
Spirits Apprentice

Lee LaCroix <l...@echoespast.com> wrote in message

> Hi Group,

> Does anyone know of a source for lighting struck wood. I'm a flutemaker
> who has a client that would like a flute crafted from lighting struck
> wood.

Larry Jaques

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
On Tue, 14 Mar 2000 18:30:19 GMT, Lee LaCroix <l...@echoespast.com>
cleverly suggested:

>I've been a Native American flute maker for some years now. I specialize
>in
>crafting flutes from unusual and exotic wood. The Native American flute
>community is quite large and as a group, they have always have a strong
>spiritual side to their nature that is in some way connected to the
>flute. I must
>say also, that as a group they are the most sincere, honest, and caring
>people
>one would ever want to meet.
>There are those who believe that a tree that has been struck by
>lightning has
>been touched by God and may be changed in some way by that event. It may

Hi, Lee. Had you exposed some of that basis in the initial post, I'm
sure that fewer folks would have seen the humor in it and you would
have received fewer jokes and jabs. There are many trolls dragged
around in here and we respond with glee to those.

>give special virtues to that flute that it might not otherwise have.
>When I get
>a special request from someone, no matter how strange, I always make a
>good
>faith effort to meet that request. Who of us doesn't have some strange
>beliefs
>that might not stand up in the light of pure logic.

Then again, those who don't see the logic would have struck anyway.
<g>

>I certainly am not an expert on the subject of lightning struck wood,
>but I do
>know that there is intense, and sudden heat involved. It doesn't seen to
>far
>fetched to me that there might be some change at the cellular level that
>would
>change the characteristics of the wood. I'd sure like to know though,
>wouldn't
>you?

Yeah, I'd like to see the research results from that study, too.

>If you are really interested in my work, I invite you to visit my
>website. You
>can find it at: http://www.echoespast.com.

Nice work, and the tone of the flute in your sample is quite
beautiful. Do you use a lathe or are they all hand carved and
fire-drilled?

CAUTION: Driver Legally B l o n d (e)
http://www.diversify.com Graphic Design for Print & the Web

R.B. Jones

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00

Last summer I milled a butternut tree that had been hit by lightning. The
tree had about 30 feet of usable trunk. The lightning entered the tree at
about 2o feet from the ground and split the tree for about 10 feet where it
found a clothes line and changed directions and went into the house. The
wood looked fine and was quite dry considering that we cut it in the summer.
The strangest part was near the base. When we were milling the log there was
a black purple stain sort of tear shaped about 3 feet from the ground. On
closer examination there were 4 nails and the electric charge bounced (?)
around them and burnt the centre of the tree. The nails were soft enough
that they didn't bother the band mill's blade.

I have 1" boards and one 2" plank. If butternut can satisfy your needs for
lightning struck wood email me. I am in southern Ontario, but the size you
would need for a flute.

Neat project, good luck

Bob Jones
Holstein, Ontario

charlie campney

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
I have a huge tree in my front yard that was struck by lightening. Come and
get it ! ! !
Charlie
Auburn, KY

Jon Schilling <jo...@worldaccessnet.com> wrote in message
> Lee,
> I know folks think it is a joke about the lightning struck wood.
> I can't say for sure, but I think Ed Malthrop, the woodturner from
Atlanta,
> Georgia, always said that his purple Tulip Poplar bowls came from trees
> struck by lightning.
> I'd wager, if you were to contact him, he would
> verify the lightning bit, and I'd up the ante betting
> that he would get some lightning wood for you.
> I have not seen him in 20 years, but I understand he is still active. He
> has a son named Phillip who lives in the Atlanta area too.
> Good luck,
>

> --
> Jon Schilling
> Ridgefield, Wa USA (10 miles north of Portland, Ore)

David F. Eisan

Mar 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/15/00
Dear Jon,

> I know folks think it is a joke about the lightning struck wood.
> I can't say for sure, but I think Ed Malthrop, the woodturner from
Atlanta,
> Georgia, always said that his purple Tulip Poplar bowls came from trees
> struck by lightning.

Hey, I was cutting up some Tulip Poplar yesterday and found a purple streak
in an area, at first I thought it might have been from a nail, but I could
find no remains of it, and no rust/iron streaks.

It was a really neat colour.

Thanks,

David.

rec.ww FAQ http://www.robson.org/woodfaq/
Archives http://x29.deja.com/home_ps.shtml
crowbar FAQ http://www.concentric.net/~Odeen/oldtools/crowbar.shtml

j...@neosoftnospam.com

Mar 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/15/00
Dear Lee:

Thanks for giving the URL for your site. I would like to strongly
urge all of the people in this newsgroup to go and click on the sound
file you have. The sound of your flute is haunting. I also
appreciate your information about your background and philosophy about
your clients. I remember a time not too long ago when I took a trip
to the Pacific Northwest. I went to both Olympic and Ranier National
Park. While at those parks I took walks along trails populated by
absolutely aweinspiring trees. I don't know how anyone can walk among
those giants and not feel something deep. When I returned here to
Texas, where I make my home, I came to look at out own forests with a
new respect. We don't have the giants here that are found in other
parts of the U.S. because, by in large, they have all been cut down.
I have great respect for the native American outlook toward the Earth,
nature and God. If I am not mistaken, they take all of those concepts
to be united closely. I think that woodworkers, taken as a whole,
share the Native American respect and love of the higher power that is
responsible for the resource we use. Your work is excellent. Perhaps
a saw mill might be able to help. I tend to think the small
operations would be more likely to help you with your request. I wish
you well. I also thank you for making your excellent site available
to me. Thanks again,

John J. McGeough

wrote:

>OK Al, I just finished ironing my shorts, so I'll try to answer your
>reply. I've got
>to tell you, though, when I post a message to a news group and the first
>six replies
>come back with all manner of humor and ridicule designed to make me feel
>
>stupid, I got to ask if that's a news group I have any use for.
>Fortunately, there
>were some serious replies with good suggestions. To those people, I'd
>like to
>say thanks a bunch.

>I've been a Native American flute maker for some years now. I specialize
>in
>crafting flutes from unusual and exotic wood. The Native American flute
>community is quite large and as a group, they have always have a strong
>spiritual side to their nature that is in some way connected to the
>flute. I must
>say also, that as a group they are the most sincere, honest, and caring
>people
>one would ever want to meet.
>There are those who believe that a tree that has been struck by
>lightning has
>been touched by God and may be changed in some way by that event. It may
>

>give special virtues to that flute that it might not otherwise have.
>When I get
>a special request from someone, no matter how strange, I always make a
>good
>faith effort to meet that request. Who of us doesn't have some strange
>beliefs
>that might not stand up in the light of pure logic.

>I certainly am not an expert on the subject of lightning struck wood,
>but I do
>know that there is intense, and sudden heat involved. It doesn't seen to
>far
>fetched to me that there might be some change at the cellular level that
>would
>change the characteristics of the wood. I'd sure like to know though,
>wouldn't
>you?

>If you are really interested in my work, I invite you to visit my
>website. You
>can find it at: http://www.echoespast.com.

Al Taylor

Mar 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/15/00

Hubbida, hubbida, hubbida.... I uhh... meant that figuratively!

: )

Al

Ed Clarke

Mar 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/15/00
On Tue, 14 Mar 2000 00:46:45 GMT, foxeye <fox...@ddyne.com> wrote:
>the same, as well as looks the same when I am cutting it up, and
>splitting it. So tell us what makes lightning struck wood so much
>prefered.

It's prefered because some nimrod will pay big bucks for the "special"
wood. Sympathetic magic and all that stuff... "A fool and his money
will soon be parted".

Waterworks International Corporation

Mar 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/15/00

Ed Clarke <cla...@acheron.cilia.org> wrote in message

Once again, you've proved Mark Twain correct...

--

Waterworks International Corporation
(636) 677-8400 Voice

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Mar 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/15/00

"D.L." <edl...@texas.net> wrote in message
> Which reminds me...I have a special deal for the NG...a few, rare, serial
> numbered Lightning Struck, cast manganese bronze tooth picks..hand crafted
> and comes in its own basswood display case with plexiglass lid so you can
> show it off....all for a mere $699.95!

Well, I know a deal when I see one! Do you take checks?

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
MSch...@nospam.carolina.rr.com

Remove the "nospam" to reply.

http://members.xoom.com/WorstNurse/

Lee LaCroix

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00
Thanks Daniel for you reply. My goal as always is to craft something
that will
bring joy and some peace into peoples lives, and that, in turn brings
joy into
mine.
Lee

Lee LaCroix

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00
Hi Brook,
There must be a certain amount of trust in what I do because that's the
way
I choose to live my life relative to flute making. I don't deceive
anyone and
don't expect to be deceived. Not that it couldn't happen, but it hasn't
so
far in the years I've been doing this. Those interested in the Native
American
flute just don't seem to be the kind to deceive or mistrust. I can't
explain it,
but I love it.
Kindest Regards,
Lee

Lee LaCroix

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00
Thanks Charlie, if I was a tad closer I would do just that.

Lee LaCroix

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00
Hi Buddy,
You're exactly right, I'm no kid myself. That's the reason I can talk
about
old dudes, I'm one myself. If I was a youngster, it would be
disrespectful.

Lee LaCroix

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00
Hi John,
Thanks for the kind words about my work. Also the suggestions, I'm
working
on that now.
I think you're probably right about woodworkers, I know that one of the
things
I like best about working wood is that as I work it, things are revealed
that no
man has ever seen before. There are not many things one can say that
about.
It's a continuous wonder to me. Each flute I craft is different from the
last one,
even if they are from the same wood.
Your trip to the Northwest makes me jealous. I haven't been up there in
number of years, but it never fails to amaze me. Guess I should begin to

think about another trip, huh?
Kindest Regards,
Lee

Andy

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00
Nope. I won't buy it if it ain't serial numbered and signed.

"D.L." wrote:

> foxeye <fox...@ddyne.com> wrote in article
> <38d18ba6...@news.ddyne.com>...
> > Just what is lightning suppoxsed to do to the wood to make a flute out
> > of it andy better than a non-struck tree's wood? I have pines, and
> > oaks and a hickory and some others on my place all struck by the big
> > power surge in the sky, and when I burn it in a woodstove it all burns

> > the same, as well as looks the same when I am cutting it up, and
> > splitting it. So tell us what makes lightning struck wood so much
> > prefered.
> >

> > Just curious.
> > foxeye
> > On Tue, 14 Mar 2000 00:31:45 GMT, a...@bright.net (Al Taylor) wrote:
>
> Probably about as much as those magnets do for foot pain in Dr. Scholls
> "magnetic therapy" shoe inserts.....
>
> But...the person that wants it is a customer, so I can only assume he is
> going to charge apremium for this "rare" wood...and his troubles in
> finding it.....

rhonda....@gmail.com

Jun 29, 2014, 12:48:50 PM6/29/14
This is about 14 years too late but I'm looking for a way to finish a piece of wood w lightening strike scars. So maybe someone else will stumble on this.
When lightening strikes a tree it leaves a pattern referred to as a Lichtenberg pattern. This is basically a fractal pattern. (Look it up) these scars are a very interesting pattern that are really beautiful in the finished wood. I found my piece in Colorado. You know-forest fires. I also saw some really nice finished pieces.

Spalted Walt

Jun 29, 2014, 2:27:54 PM6/29/14
A friend emailed me this video a few days ago with the subject: Nice rack!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_qQw0MsJ4I

The tree limb was struck by a tornado instead of lightning and it is spalted
"(Look it up)" instead of Lichtenberged.

IMO the nice rack is the only reason the video has been viewed 474K times ;-)

whit3rd

Jul 8, 2014, 8:33:13 PM7/8/14
On Tuesday, March 14, 2000 1:00:00 AM UTC-7, The tool man wrote:
> I was going to argue with you, but I looked it up. You're right. For
> some reason, I remembered that the skin effect was for all current.
> Thanks for setting me straight.
>
> Regards,
> John.

You're not wrong, though!

Conductivity of living sapwood, near the bark, is high, and
that of inner wood is low. So, the current WILL avoid the center of
the tree.

The 'DC' argument is flaky, too; the first microsecond or
two of a strike creates an ion path that conducts the rest of the current
(more in ionized gas than in the tree). For one microsecond, a "DC"
current is mainly in the megahertz frequency range; skin effect does matter.

cjc...@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2019, 3:49:39 PM7/13/19
On Monday, March 13, 2000 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Lee LaCroix wrote:
> Hi Group,
> Does anyone know of a source for lighting struck wood. I'm a flutemaker
> who has a client that would like a flute crafted from lighting struck
> wood.
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks

I have some-c...@yahoo.com

itsmes...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2020, 3:22:11 AM7/3/20
Yes I do email me at itsmes...@gmail.com with your contact details and I will forward it to a friend I know that makes furniture and other items look like they have been hit but thunder and lightning.

Sonny

Jul 3, 2020, 8:44:22 AM7/3/20
On Friday, July 3, 2020 at 2:22:11 AM UTC-5, itsmes...@gmail.com wrote:
> Yes I do email me at itsmes...@gmail.com with your contact details and I will forward it to a friend I know that makes furniture and other items look like they have been hit but thunder and lightning.

I'd like to see some pics of furniture struck by thunder.

Sonny

DerbyDad03

Jul 3, 2020, 9:32:12 AM7/3/20
I've heard that it's a deafening sight.

hub...@ccanoemail.ca

Jul 3, 2020, 9:39:36 AM7/3/20
On Fri, 3 Jul 2020 05:44:19 -0700 (PDT), Sonny <cedar...@aol.com>
wrote:
... crank up a set of Genesis speakers ? :-)

http://www.hifitimereview.com/genesis-1-2-loudspeakers-english/

John T.

Markem

Jul 3, 2020, 11:48:40 AM7/3/20
And play the Firth Of Fifth at 11.

dpb

Jul 3, 2020, 2:28:55 PM7/3/20
Not to mention the lighting from the lighting struck...

DerbyDad03

Jul 3, 2020, 5:19:38 PM7/3/20
On Friday, July 3, 2020 at 8:44:22 AM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
(I get the joke)

Lichtenberg (fractal) burning is (sometimes) pretty cool. I say sometimes
because...

SWMBO and I went to a crafts show a few years ago and there was a vendor
selling all sorts of "Lichtenberg" stuff.

The maker had done everything from simple panels that you could hang on a
wall like a picture to end tables to large dressers. We liked the simpler
pieces, but when it came to the dressers and other large items, especially
when they were filled with bright colored epoxy, we lost interest. The large
pieces that were just minimally figured were fine, but it looked to us like
the maker had gone a little far with some of the pieces. Almost garish in
appearance.

For those not familiar with the Lichtenburg process, there's about a million
of these videos out there. For entertainment purposes only (the lawyers made
me say that) ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krIy7YLuhrM

Spalted Walt

Jul 3, 2020, 5:42:48 PM7/3/20

DerbyDad03

Jul 3, 2020, 6:37:23 PM7/3/20
It's very sad that the Schmidt family lost a loving husband and father,
but this statement really has me baffled:

"We didn’t know it was dangerous"

It's 2020. *Any* amount of research into fractal burning would have turned
up tons of information on the dangers. I just don't believe that Matt didn't
know that it was dangerous. And Caitlin? She's an RN. She didn't know that
working with electricity can kill you?

DAGS for fractal burning.

The very first hit, right on the Google results page (you don't even have to
click a link) says:

"Fractal burning, also called Lichtenberg, is a process that creates images
such as these on wood using high-voltage electricity and a conductive
solution. ... The American Association of Woodturners Safety Committee issued
a policy against fractal burning, also known as Lichtenberg, banning it from
AAW events. Jul 24, 2017"

If that's not enough for someone to dig a little further, I don't know what
is.

"We didn’t know it was dangerous"

Seriously?

k...@notreal.com

Jul 3, 2020, 6:49:32 PM7/3/20
Yeah, high voltage/power electricity (it's got to burn wood) with a
conductive solution... What could go wrong?

pyotr filipivich

Jul 4, 2020, 3:23:59 PM7/4/20
Sonny <cedar...@aol.com> on Fri, 3 Jul 2020 05:44:19 -0700 (PDT)
typed in rec.woodworking the following:
>On Friday, July 3, 2020 at 2:22:11 AM UTC-5, itsmes...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Yes I do email me at itsmes...@gmail.com with your contact details and I will forward it to a friend I know that makes furniture and other items look like they have been hit but thunder and lightning.
>
>I'd like to see some pics of furniture struck by thunder.

So would I. Google, of course is useless.

--
pyotr filipivich