Spray Gun

Sonny

Aug 26, 2016, 10:25:43 AM8/26/16
After buying a Duralast 2 gun set (from Autozone), the instructions state the guns are to be used for oil based paints, not thin applications, so I searched again. Another thing I discovered, didn't like about these guns, the lid of the tank just laid in place, it didn't screw on, hence, if I wanted to lay the gun down, between sprayings, I'd need to empty the tank. *I'll return the Duralast guns.

I found this review: http://www.paintspraypro.com/best-spray-gun-for-lacquer/

Don't know how reliable these reviewers are, but the Kawasaki gun ($30) appears to be a reasonable choice, for the low price, despite it being a siphon feed. I had initially thought, maybe, a gravity feed might be an upgrade to my previous (limited) spraying experience.

If this gun lasts a year, then it should be worth the little investment, but I think it'll serve my needs for longer than that.

I hope the local Walmart has the gun in stock. I want to spray a rustic cypress bench, today, so I may have a follow-up review. I'll be spraying water based Varathane, on the bench. I brushed on the first coat. This bench will go with the cypress trestle table, I made recently. I have some chairs, in mind, to build, also.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/?

For any hobbyist/DIYers, who may have considered purchasing (minimal) spraying equipment (upgrading? from their previous brushing or wiping on a finish), maybe my pending review may help them decide, without having to invest in more expensive equipment, for good results. I recall, long ago, when I first thought to start spraying, I was intimidated about spraying. I discovered it's easier and have better results (vs brushing/wiping), than I thought, so maybe my review will help someone, else, decide to try spraying.... seeing as how the investment can be somewhat minimal, these days.

Sonny

Mike Marlow

Aug 26, 2016, 11:17:00 AM8/26/16
Sonny wrote:
> After buying a Duralast 2 gun set (from Autozone), the instructions state the guns are to be used for oil based paints, not thin applications, so I searched again. Another thing I discovered, didn't like about these guns, the lid of the tank just laid in place, it didn't screw on, hence, if I wanted to lay the gun down, between sprayings, I'd need to empty the tank. *I'll return the Duralast guns.
>
> I found this review: http://www.paintspraypro.com/best-spray-gun-for-lacquer/
>
> Don't know how reliable these reviewers are, but the Kawasaki gun ($30) appears to be a reasonable choice, for the low price, despite it being a siphon feed. I had initially thought, maybe, a gravity feed might be an upgrade to my previous (limited) spraying experience.

I would not worry about the siphon feed Sonny. I have several siphon
guns that are over 35 years old and still shoot like new. As is the
case with any paint gun, you'll rebuild the gun from time to time over
the years and the availability of rebuild kits could be a consideration,
but as you say, if you get 5 years out of it before it needs a rebuild,
you'll be just as well off to simply buy a new gun. Rebuild kits can
get pretty pricey.

I do 90% of my shooting these days with gravity feed HVLP and I like the
feel and mobility of gravity feed, but it does not bother me one bit to
load up one of my siphon guns for a particular need.

The most important thing with any gun, but especially with siphon guns,
is keeping them clean. No short cuts. After every single use, run a
cleaning brush up the pickup tube. Don't trust just filling the cup
with thinner and hoping that it will clean out the tube. Some materials
will clean out very well that way, but other materials like urethane
primers, will not. And - keep the air vent perfectly clean. Siphon
really relies on that air vent. My guns have a little less shine than
they did when they were new, and some stains on the cups from before I
bought them, but otherwise every one of my guns is in like new condition
in the working areas. I've learned the things I mention here the hard
way!

I even have a couple of HF gravity guns that I keep on hand for primers
and they work perfectly. $9 each when they run their sales. I can lay
down a factory finish with these guns. The only problem is - I
typically get maybe four or five uses out of them before they die.
Seals deteriorate, etc. and there are no rebuild kits for them. So,
when they go on sale I buy one or two and just throw them on the shelf.

--
-Mike-
mmarlo...@windstream.net

Sonny

Aug 26, 2016, 2:31:45 PM8/26/16
On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 10:17:00 AM UTC-5, Mike Marlow wrote:

> I even have a couple of HF gravity guns that I keep on hand for primers
> and they work perfectly. $9 each when they run their sales.

Yeah, I think you may have advise me, before. I ran a lot of errands this morning..... Walmart didn't have the Kawasaki gun, Lowes was no help, Sherwin Williams had high-end guns, so I went to HF and got a $15 gravity feed gun. I just got home and rain is threatening.... I spray outdoors. Kinna feels like a wasted day, so for, but...

Went by Mom's, also, to pick up more (specific) cypress lumber, for the chairs build. At least the lumber didn't/won't get rained on, so all efforts aren't lost, after all.

My old guns need repair, I think, and parts are no longer available. I didn't search for rebuild kits, though. I think I've cleaned them, well, but they aren't shooting as they once did. They are, at least, 30 yrs old, so it's time to get new ones, I suppose.

I'm anxious to try this gravity feed gun!

Sonny

dadiOH

Aug 26, 2016, 3:28:39 PM8/26/16

"Sonny" <cedar...@aol.com> wrote in message

For any hobbyist/DIYers, who may have considered purchasing (minimal)
spraying equipment (upgrading? from their previous brushing or wiping on a
finish), maybe my pending review may help them decide, without having to
invest in more expensive equipment, for good results. I recall, long ago,
when I first thought to start spraying, I was intimidated about spraying.
I discovered it's easier and have better results (vs brushing/wiping), than
I thought, so maybe my review will help someone, else, decide to try
spraying.... seeing as how the investment can be somewhat minimal, these
days.

The guns are pretty cheap, the compressors not so much so :)

Mike Marlow

Aug 26, 2016, 9:27:06 PM8/26/16
Sonny wrote:
> On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 10:17:00 AM UTC-5, Mike Marlow wrote:
>
>> I even have a couple of HF gravity guns that I keep on hand for primers
>> and they work perfectly. $9 each when they run their sales.
>
> Yeah, I think you may have advise me, before. I ran a lot of errands this morning..... Walmart didn't have the Kawasaki gun, Lowes was no help, Sherwin Williams had high-end guns, so I went to HF and got a $15 gravity feed gun. I just got home and rain is threatening.... I spray outdoors. Kinna feels like a wasted day, so for, but...

The $15.00 gun is the same one I get for $9.00 on sale. Limited use
gun, but it works well until it doesn't...

--
-Mike-
mmarlo...@windstream.net

dpai...@gmail.com

Aug 3, 2018, 1:34:10 AM8/3/18
if you want to spray oil based paint & water based paint, the spray gun must use stainless steel nozzle / needle, and the O-ring / gasket / washer all parts need to be solvent resistant.

if you spray large area like a house / wall / roofing, it's better to use high pressure airless paint spray
take reference from below web site
http://www.dpairless.com/products/piston-pump-airless-paint-sprayers

Dr. Deb

Aug 3, 2018, 10:49:55 AM8/3/18
I have found the little touch up gun from HF does everything I could ask and is dirt cheap. I have sprayed everything from shellac to poly with it and have had no problems.