New circular saw

Dr. Deb

Aug 15, 2017, 6:46:17 AM8/15/17
I bought a Black and Decker 7 1/4" circular saw a few months ago and loved it.

Last Friday I was breaking down some 2" Southern Yellow Pine (with the required 12' rips) and it started blowing smoke, vast quantities of smoke, out the motor vents, with the melodic sound of bearings going south.

Did a bit of research and the DeWalt 575 was the first or second on everyone's list. It should be in today and we will see if it lives up to its billing.

Ed Pawlowski

Aug 15, 2017, 9:30:43 AM8/15/17
B & D was the choice of professionals in the past but the last pro
quality tool they made was probably about 1960. They were fine for the
home handyman use. I had one for many years for light duty. Making 12'
rips was not their forte.

I don't know about DeWalt. They used to be a higher quality. Meantime,
can you get the B&D repaired under warranty? Keep it as a spare or sell
it and recoupe some of your cost.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Aug 15, 2017, 11:39:16 AM8/15/17
Makita is still a lot better than DeWalt - so are Milwaukee and Skill
and Bosch.
Generally speaking, if under Warrantee they will more likely replace
than repair - many of the B&D crap today you can't even get parts for.
Wear out a brush, and the replacement part is the whole motor,
including the plastic case.

Scott Lurndal

Aug 15, 2017, 12:23:51 PM8/15/17
cl...@snyder.on.ca writes:
>On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 09:30:39 -0400, Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.net> wrote:
>
>>On 8/15/2017 6:46 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:
>>> I bought a Black and Decker 7 1/4" circular saw a few months ago and loved it.
>>>
>>> Last Friday I was breaking down some 2" Southern Yellow Pine (with the required 12' rips) and it started blowing smoke, vast quantities of smoke, out the motor vents, with the melodic sound of bearings going south.
>>>
>>> Did a bit of research and the DeWalt 575 was the first or second on everyone's list. It should be in today and we will see if it lives up to its billing.
>>>

>>B & D was the choice of professionals in the past but the last pro
>>quality tool they made was probably about 1960. They were fine for the
>>home handyman use. I had one for many years for light duty. Making 12'
>>rips was not their forte.
>>
>>I don't know about DeWalt. They used to be a higher quality. Meantime,
>>can you get the B&D repaired under warranty? Keep it as a spare or sell
>>it and recoupe some of your cost.
> Makita is still a lot better than DeWalt - so are Milwaukee and Skill

I think that depends on the Skil model - the homeowners models (used to) suck,
but the worm-drive saws are de rigueur on job sites (and it appears that
Skil no longer makes the worm-drive saws).

nailsh...@aol.com

Aug 15, 2017, 12:34:21 PM8/15/17
On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 11:23:51 AM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:

> I think that depends on the Skil model - the homeowners models (used to) suck,
> but the worm-drive saws are de rigueur on job sites (and it appears that
> Skil no longer makes the worm-drive saws).

Actually, it is their flagship saw. For a while, they made them for Bosch as well. Don't know about now. I didn't realize they were making this many sidewinders, though.

https://goo.gl/y3vdVN

Robert

-MIKE-

Aug 15, 2017, 12:53:01 PM8/15/17
I have the 575SB and from day one, the electric blade brake is
intermittent. Sometimes it works and stops the blade and other times it
don't do a thing.

Of course, Murphy's Law dictates that it usually doesn't work when I'm
actually cutting.
YMMV.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Scott Lurndal

Aug 15, 2017, 1:00:49 PM8/15/17
Ah, I see that there is a Skil Tools (which makes the homeowner crap)
and SkilSaw (which makes the good stuff).

woodchucker

Aug 15, 2017, 1:26:51 PM8/15/17
My first question is why would you buy a B&D anything these days?

--
Jeff

nailsh...@aol.com

Aug 15, 2017, 1:50:23 PM8/15/17
On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 12:00:49 PM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:

> Ah, I see that there is a Skil Tools (which makes the homeowner crap)
> and SkilSaw (which makes the good stuff).

Skil is owned by a Chinese company after being sold by Bosch that apparently bought them to get rights to the worm drive saw.

Its confusing. When I started in the trades a few decades ago, even though we didn't use Skil branded tools (except the worm drive)all wood cutting circular saws were called "Skilsaws". Nothing has changed. We don't say get a drill and a "Makita" and head to the job.

Skilsaw© was the first, powerful, practical and reliable wood cutting circular saw. It was a patented, heavily protected piece of machinery (much like the old Fein oscillators or the Festool Domino) that had the worm drive market to itself. The Skil line of saws, drills, routers, was developed for the lighter use group and in the 60s they made some pretty good tools.

Skil makes the Skilsaw©, and now (rumor has it) that since Skil was recently sold to a Chinese company, they are redirecting their efforts to make a "professional quality" set of tools. Not sure what that means anymore, but I guess they are getting out of the crap tool business.

Robert

notbob

Aug 15, 2017, 1:54:55 PM8/15/17
On 2017-08-15, Scott Lurndal <sc...@slp53.sl.home> wrote:

> Skil no longer makes the worm-drive saws).

You may be wrong:

https://www.skilsaw.com/saws#17696

nb

Scott Lurndal

Aug 15, 2017, 2:28:46 PM8/15/17
"nailsh...@aol.com" <nailsh...@aol.com> writes:
[snip]

>Skilsaw=C2=A9 was the first, powerful, practical and reliable wood cutting =
>circular saw. It was a patented, heavily protected piece of machinery (muc=
>h like the old Fein oscillators or the Festool Domino) that had the worm dr=
>ive market to itself. The Skil line of saws, drills, routers, was developed=
> for the lighter use group and in the 60s they made some pretty good tools.

Hm.. I have a worm-drive saw that's not a skilsaw (was in the
garage when I moved in). Probably 50's vintage. Needs grease,
so I've never even fired it up (came in a nice metal case). I'll
have to dig it out of the back of the shop and see if it can be
rehabilitated.

Scott Lurndal

Aug 15, 2017, 2:29:01 PM8/15/17
Doesn't even show up on www.skiltools.com. Confusing indeed.

notbob

Aug 15, 2017, 2:40:15 PM8/15/17
On 2017-08-15, Scott Lurndal <sc...@slp53.sl.home> wrote:
> notbob <not...@nothome.com> writes:
>>On 2017-08-15, Scott Lurndal <sc...@slp53.sl.home> wrote:
>>
>>> Skil no longer makes the worm-drive saws).
>>
>>You may be wrong:
>>
>>https://www.skilsaw.com/saws#17696
>>

> Doesn't even show up on www.skiltools.com. Confusing indeed.

Perhaps, fer you. (shrug) ;)

nb

DerbyDad03

Aug 15, 2017, 6:31:22 PM8/15/17
I get this this great big banner, alternating with a banner for
their homeowner circular saw line. Right on the main page.

http://i.imgur.com/LYORA7j.jpg

Just Wondering

Aug 15, 2017, 6:40:47 PM8/15/17
On 8/15/2017 4:31 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
If you go on amazon.com, search for 7 1/4" circular saws, and sort on
customer reviews, the top 12 saws are all Skil, Dewalt, and Makita. No.
10 is a worm drive Skil.
https://www.amazon.com/SKILSAW-SPT77WML-01-15-Amp-Lightweight-Circular/dp/B00B7EUS46/ref=sr_1_10?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1502836676&sr=1-10&keywords=circular+saw&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin%3A387625011

Michael

Aug 15, 2017, 6:42:11 PM8/15/17
People seem to really like that saw. I bought a Milwaukee 6390 years back when they were on sale at Sears. I just used it this afternoon. It's on the heavy side, but it's never disappointed me for power.

-MIKE-

Aug 15, 2017, 7:19:23 PM8/15/17
There's a lot more to the sorting by reviews than just the reviews.
You could have a dozen widgets with the exact same reviews and they'll
get sorted a certain way for various reasons.
Amazon is a bit tricky that way.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Aug 15, 2017, 7:55:06 PM8/15/17
On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 16:23:46 GMT, sc...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:
They still make several worm drive saws. The Sawsquatch is one of
them. Remember, Skill is now owned by Bosch.
They stil make the SHD77 too amd the SPT 77 and 78 models.(as well as
the MeduSaw for concrete)

hub...@ccanoemail.ca

Aug 15, 2017, 7:58:50 PM8/15/17
On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 18:19:17 -0500, -MIKE- <mi...@mikedrumsDOT.com>
wrote:
I always take the reviews with a big grain of salt -
- the Chevy Vega was MotorTrend Car-Of-The-Year for 1971 -
.. yep I owned one ..
As for circular saws - I have yet to learn how to use one -
after about 30 years of owning 2 or 3 ..so I can't comment .
... seriously - I always struggle with this tool. not sure why.
John T.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Aug 15, 2017, 8:00:13 PM8/15/17
I've got a 1958 worm drive skill, an 8 inch Milwaukee, and a 7 1/2
1nch Rockwell. I think they are all old enough to vote and drink -
just like my truck - - -

Ed Pawlowski

Aug 15, 2017, 9:02:52 PM8/15/17
On 8/15/2017 8:02 PM, hub...@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

> I always take the reviews with a big grain of salt -
> - the Chevy Vega was MotorTrend Car-Of-The-Year for 1971 -
> .. yep I owned one ..

I drove one cross country. It was good on the trip but bunred oil after
that. I guess an 800 mile day is too much for it.

> As for circular saws - I have yet to learn how to use one -
> after about 30 years of owning 2 or 3 ..so I can't comment .
> ... seriously - I always struggle with this tool. not sure why.
> John T.
I know why for me. I'm left handed.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Aug 15, 2017, 9:23:03 PM8/15/17
Yiu just need a lefthand saw - - -

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Aug 15, 2017, 9:32:13 PM8/15/17
On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 21:02:48 -0400, Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.net> wrote:

>On 8/15/2017 8:02 PM, hub...@ccanoemail.ca wrote:
>

>> I always take the reviews with a big grain of salt -
>> - the Chevy Vega was MotorTrend Car-Of-The-Year for 1971 -
>> .. yep I owned one ..
>
>I drove one cross country. It was good on the trip but bunred oil after
>that. I guess an 800 mile day is too much for it.
After you bore them out and put in cast iron sleaves and akuminum
postons instead of iron plated pistons in aluminum bores, they
actually were not a BAD engine. If you could keep them from
overheating even the aluminum wasn't bad - but keeping them cool was a
problem

DerbyDad03

Aug 15, 2017, 11:46:49 PM8/15/17
Lots of right-handed folks use left-blade circular saws. I'm one of them.

When a righty uses a left-blade saw, they don't have to lean over the saw
to see the cut line. Some folks think that the sawdust gets thrown back
in the user's face, but my Porter Cable 743 has a dust chute that mounts
to the top of the saw so you can point the dust at someone else. ;-)

Pic (and praise) can be found here:

http://www.contractortalk.com/f40/porter-cable-model-743-blade-left-circular-saw-128514/

I was introduced to it many years back by a right-handed journeyman framer.
He bought one for the guys in his crew (Christmas) so they would stop
borrowing his. :-)

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Aug 16, 2017, 12:50:21 AM8/16/17
On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 20:46:43 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
<teama...@eznet.net> wrote:

>On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 9:23:03 PM UTC-4, cl...@snyder.on.ca wrote:

>> >I drove one cross country. It was good on the trip but bunred oil after
>> >that. I guess an 800 mile day is too much for it.

>> >I know why for me. I'm left handed.
>> Yiu just need a lefthand saw - - -
>
>Lots of right-handed folks use left-blade circular saws. I'm one of them.
I like my wormdrive for the same reason, but Ed said he's always had
trouble with circular saws because he's a Lefty.
So FOR HIM a Lrft Handed saw may well be the answer for him.

nailsh...@aol.com

Aug 16, 2017, 12:57:35 AM8/16/17
On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 6:55:06 PM UTC-5, cl...@snyder.on.ca wrote:

> They still make several worm drive saws. The Sawsquatch is one of
> them. Remember, Skill is now owned by Bosch.
> They stil make the SHD77 too amd the SPT 77 and 78 models.(as well as
> the MeduSaw for concrete)

Not as of last year. Although I can't find the article, I read some time back that Bosch no longer needed (or wanted) Skil. They were sold to Chevron, a Chinese company that indicated (sorry, no cite) that intends to start making more "professional grade" tools.

Sale info:

http://toolguyd.com/bosch-sells-skil-brand-to-chervon/

Robert

Just Wondering

Aug 16, 2017, 5:23:13 AM8/16/17
I thought this thread was about the availability of worm drive Skil
circular saws. I'm not getting sucked into a discussion of the merits
of various methods for assessing the value of Amazon customer reviews.

Just Wondering

Aug 16, 2017, 5:28:01 AM8/16/17
I owned one, too. It was a nice little car with one big problem. The
aluminum block and steel head would heat and therefore expand unevenly,
resulting in blown head gaskets. The good news was that changing a head
gasket was pretty easy. The second time I had to do it took about a
half hour start to finish, and I'm no mechanic. The third time it
happened I put in a new block with steel cylinder sleeves.

DerbyDad03

Aug 16, 2017, 6:43:11 AM8/16/17
On Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 12:50:21 AM UTC-4, cl...@snyder.on.ca wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 20:46:43 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
> <teama...@eznet.net> wrote:

> >> Yiu just need a lefthand saw - - -
> >
> >Lots of right-handed folks use left-blade circular saws. I'm one of them.
> I like my wormdrive for the same reason, but Ed said he's always had
> trouble with circular saws because he's a Lefty.

> So FOR HIM a Lrft Handed saw may well be the answer for him.

Hmmm...you seem to think I was disagreeing with you. Interesting.

-MIKE-

Aug 16, 2017, 10:57:49 AM8/16/17
I thought you were trying to judge the quality of Skilsaw worm drive
saws based on where they ranked on Amazon.

Among professional carpenters they have always been go-to saw and highly
regarded in the industry. I trust that reputation over Amazon reviews,
that's all I'm saying.

Leon

Aug 16, 2017, 11:05:46 AM8/16/17
On 8/15/2017 11:34 AM, nailsh...@aol.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 11:23:51 AM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:
>
>> I think that depends on the Skil model - the homeowners models (used to) suck,
>> but the worm-drive saws are de rigueur on job sites (and it appears that
>> Skil no longer makes the worm-drive saws).
>
> Actually, it is their flagship saw. For a while, they made them for Bosch as well. Don't know about now. I didn't realize they were making this many sidewinders, though.
>
> https://goo.gl/y3vdVN
>
> Robert

IIRC Skil and Bosch have separated.

hub...@ccanoemail.ca

Aug 16, 2017, 11:14:13 AM8/16/17

>>> I always take the reviews with a big grain of salt -
>>> - the Chevy Vega was MotorTrend Car-Of-The-Year for 1971 -
>>> .. yep I owned one ..

>>I drove one cross country. It was good on the trip but bunred oil after
>>that. I guess an 800 mile day is too much for it.

>After you bore them out and put in cast iron sleaves and akuminum
>postons instead of iron plated pistons in aluminum bores, they
>actually were not a BAD engine. If you could keep them from
>overheating even the aluminum wasn't bad - but keeping them cool was a
>problem

Do all that - then drop the engine into a car that doesn't rot away
in 3 or 4 years ..
then you might have a car-of-the-year candidate !
John T.

hub...@ccanoemail.ca

Aug 16, 2017, 11:31:02 AM8/16/17

>> I always take the reviews with a big grain of salt -
>> - the Chevy Vega was MotorTrend Car-Of-The-Year for 1971 -
>> .. yep I owned one ..

>I owned one, too. It was a nice little car with one big problem. The
>aluminum block and steel head would heat and therefore expand unevenly,
>resulting in blown head gaskets. The good news was that changing a head
>gasket was pretty easy. The second time I had to do it took about a
>half hour start to finish, and I'm no mechanic. The third time it
>happened I put in a new block with steel cylinder sleeves.

I bought mine used - just 4 years old - and it already had rust
holes - and older rust holes that had been patched !
... that and the smoke-machine of a motor.
.. yeah nice little car .. says you and MotorTrend.
John T.

Unquestionably Confused

Aug 16, 2017, 11:37:45 AM8/16/17
On 8/16/2017 4:27 AM, Just Wondering wrote:
> On 8/15/2017 6:02 PM, hub...@ccanoemail.ca wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 18:19:17 -0500, -MIKE- <mike@mikedrum

[snip]

And thus the guy who just said:

"I thought this thread was about the availability of worm drive Skil
circular saws. I'm not getting sucked into a discussion of the merits
of various methods for assessing the value of Amazon customer reviews."

Contributes to two off topic posts! ;-)

Bob La Londe

Aug 16, 2017, 1:13:56 PM8/16/17
I still favor a Skil Worm Drive, but they are not cheap.

notbob

Aug 16, 2017, 2:34:10 PM8/16/17
On 2017-08-16, Bob La Londe <no...@none.com99> wrote:

> I still favor a Skil Worm Drive, but they are not cheap.

Compared to what?

<https://www.amazon.com/SKILSAW-SPT77WML-01-15-Amp-Lightweight-Circular/dp/B00B7EUS46/ref=dp_ob_title_hi>

*****OR*****

https://www.timberwolftools.com/mafell-mks-165ec-circular-saw

Yer money, yer choice. ;)

nb

Just Wondering

Aug 16, 2017, 3:23:50 PM8/16/17
Well, I'm always Just Wondering.
But you are Unquestionably Confused. :)

Just Wondering

Aug 16, 2017, 3:25:20 PM8/16/17
OK, but it sure looks to me like all you were saying was, "There's a lot
more to the sorting by reviews than just the reviews. You could have a
dozen widgets with the exact same reviews and they'll get sorted a
certain way for various reasons. Amazon is a bit tricky that way." :)

-MIKE-

Aug 16, 2017, 4:18:52 PM8/16/17
Well yeah, that too. :-)
I wasn't trying to lead us off on another tangent, just making the point
that the Skilsaw worms are as good as everyone says they are and are
better than those other despite what a list of reviews might lead you to
believe.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Aug 16, 2017, 5:58:42 PM8/16/17
Just about any car in the seventies rusted away in 3 or 4 years.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Aug 16, 2017, 5:59:32 PM8/16/17
On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 10:13:46 -0700, "Bob La Londe" <no...@none.com99>
wrote:

>I still favor a Skil Worm Drive, but they are not cheap.
Quality seldom is.

k...@notreal.com

Aug 16, 2017, 9:58:37 PM8/16/17
My '74 Rustang II (a Pinto in drag) disappeared and I replaced it with
a '78 Granada that I had for fourteen years before I gave it away. It
looked like a Liberian Tanker but it ran.

Bill

Aug 16, 2017, 10:24:16 PM8/16/17
"We" had a Granada of comparable vintage: 6-cylinder, about 8 mpg city
(really and truly), no performance. That was when gas was spiking at
about $1.51_9 too!

k...@notreal.com

Aug 16, 2017, 10:54:58 PM8/16/17
On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 22:23:24 -0400, Bill <BILL_...@whoknows.net>
wrote:
We had the 250CID straight-six too. Nice engine, though points were a
PITA. It was always in the 30s and raining when I had to change them.
I got about twice the gas mileage you did, probably because I had the
three on the tree.

-MIKE-

Aug 17, 2017, 12:02:14 AM8/17/17
On 8/16/17 8:58 PM, k...@notreal.com wrote:
> My '74 Rustang II (a Pinto in drag) disappeared and I replaced it with
> a '78 Granada that I had for fourteen years before I gave it away. It
> looked like a Liberian Tanker but it ran.

HAHAHA! I had a Mustang II.
I called it the Christmas Tree because every body panel was a different
color.

Leon

Aug 17, 2017, 12:36:16 PM8/17/17
That depended on your location. I lived 3 miles from the gulf coast and
my 72 Vega had no rust even when I got rid of it 4 years later. For
that matter none of my parents vehicles rusted in the same location over
a 20 year period.

Markem

Aug 17, 2017, 3:57:14 PM8/17/17
On Thu, 17 Aug 2017 11:35:59 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
wrote:
You lack the salt on the roads for a few months in the winter would be
my thought. The rust belt has a few meanings.

notbob

Aug 17, 2017, 6:17:45 PM8/17/17
On 2017-08-17, Markem <mark...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> The rust belt has a few meanings.

None of 'em good. ;)

nb

DerbyDad03

Aug 17, 2017, 11:39:55 PM8/17/17
I don't know about that. This rust belt looks good to me.

https://xo.lulus.com/images/product/xlarge/2491682_478852.jpg

Leon

Aug 18, 2017, 10:47:18 AM8/18/17
Precisely.

Brewster

Aug 19, 2017, 10:39:33 AM8/19/17
On 8/16/17 7:58 PM, k...@notreal.com wrote:
.

> My '74 Rustang II (a Pinto in drag) disappeared and I replaced it with
> a '78 Granada that I had for fourteen years before I gave it away. It
> looked like a Liberian Tanker but it ran.

My parents had a '76 Granada. My dad really wanted the 3-speed manual
but my mom said 'no'

Their mechanic always called it the "Gernade", not too bad of a car, but
the c4 automatic kept him well funded.
They were choosing between it and a Plymouth Volare, I think they won
the coin toss...

-BR

k...@notreal.com

Aug 19, 2017, 11:23:41 AM8/19/17
On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 08:39:25 -0600, Brewster <b...@spambegon.net> wrote:

>On 8/16/17 7:58 PM, k...@notreal.com wrote:
>.
>>
>> My '74 Rustang II (a Pinto in drag) disappeared and I replaced it with
>> a '78 Granada that I had for fourteen years before I gave it away. It
>> looked like a Liberian Tanker but it ran.
>>

>My parents had a '76 Granada. My dad really wanted the 3-speed manual
>but my mom said 'no'

Yeah, that was a couple of decades before my wife started saying "no"
to sticks. ;-) We even had '85 and '90 minivans with sticks but she
now drives a Mustang convertible with an automatic and wouldn't let me
buy a stick for my last two pickups, even.

>Their mechanic always called it the "Gernade", not too bad of a car, but
>the c4 automatic kept him well funded.
>They were choosing between it and a Plymouth Volare, I think they won
>the coin toss...

That's the truth! The Chryslers of that era were horrible. They
never improved.

nailsh...@aol.com

Aug 19, 2017, 12:53:54 PM8/19/17
On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 5:46:17 AM UTC-5, Dr. Deb wrote:
.
> Did a bit of research and the DeWalt 575 was the first or second on everyone's list. It should be in today and we will see if it lives up to its billing.

Not to derail the thread, but how do you like it? It is a pretty popular saw on the job site as it is pretty light weight and seems to have plenty of power. The only gripe I ever hear is that some think it is too big. Never heard a complaint about its performance, though.

Robert