New Job!

Leon

Jun 14, 2016, 5:00:30 PM6/14/16
A good customer has commissioned me to build her a bed. For those that
may have been following she was the one that sent me a squiggly line
drawing that I posted and we had fun with. I AAMOF told her that we
discussed it here. ;~)

Anyway I got the approval for something much different yesterday and
will begin in the next several days.

This will be the third version of this bed that I designed about 6 years
ago four my wife and I. It was the bed that went with the tower
project. Our bed has 18 drawers in the bed frame, this third version
will have 9 drawers in the bed frame.

This is the same customer that I recently built bedside end tables with
drawers, and the entertainment center with mantle.

What I will be building.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/27673261035/in/dateposted-public/

Version two, I built this one about 4 years ago.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6131171593/in/dateposted-public/

The original version in its present location.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/27266646601/in/dateposted-public/

I do plan on posting the process/progress at various stages.

Thoughts?

Sonny

Jun 14, 2016, 5:27:07 PM6/14/16
On Tuesday, June 14, 2016 at 4:00:30 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
> A good customer ...

+1

> Thoughts?

Only thing I can think of is: What kind of wood, this time, if different? Contrasting woods?

Sonny

Leon

Jun 14, 2016, 5:35:14 PM6/14/16
Red Oak and that will receive a Candlelite colored gel stain. With the
furniture that I design for my wife and I, I almost always use contrast
but typically a customer does not want to take that chance... Even
though I can show them what it will look like almost exactly.

nailsh...@aol.com

Jun 15, 2016, 4:12:58 AM6/15/16
On Tuesday, June 14, 2016 at 4:35:14 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

> >> Thoughts?

I like the new design as much as I do the original (in your bedroom). The newest form has a kind of clean Scandinavian feel to it, which may just be my imagination, but seems to be a direction you are leaning with longer, gentle flowing lines.

> Red Oak and that will receive a Candlelite colored gel stain. With the
> furniture that I design for my wife and I, I almost always use contrast
> but typically a customer does not want to take that chance... Even
> though I can show them what it will look like almost exactly.

I wonder... could you make up a sample board of the color/finish on some of the scrap before you simply clear coat? When I did a lot of finishing on new woods I would get pieces of wood/plywood and finish with two colors/finishes on the same board. It seemed to help folks. Just a thought.

Robert

Leon

Jun 15, 2016, 5:42:28 AM6/15/16
nailsh...@aol.com <nailsh...@aol.com> wrote:

> I like the new design as much as I do the original (in your bedroom).
> The newest form has a kind of clean Scandinavian feel to it, which may
> just be my imagination, but seems to be a direction you are leaning with
> longer, gentle flowing lines.

It seems my down stair furniture pieces get some type of non straight
sections what I like to call show pieces.
My seal the deal pieces if you will. ;-). I try to get potential new
customers to see what I have built in our home.
And although this customer has now bought 8 pieces, 6 jobs counting this
one, I invited her and her husband out to see and feel our bed. This bed
design eliminates the need for box springs and she was concerned about how
that would feel. And then Kim cooked dinner for all of us and I think that
was the last step necessary to sell this job. LOL

>> Red Oak and that will receive a Candlelite colored gel stain. With the
>> furniture that I design for my wife and I, I almost always use contrast
>> but typically a customer does not want to take that chance... Even
>> though I can show them what it will look like almost exactly.
>
> I wonder... could you make up a sample board of the color/finish on some
> of the scrap before you simply clear coat? When I did a lot of finishing
> on new woods I would get pieces of wood/plywood and finish with two
> colors/finishes on the same board. It seemed to help folks. Just a thought.

I do this at times but this customer knows what she wants and again has
seen all of our pieces a few times. I will say that both were intrigued
with our Amish made kitchen chairs and why I did not build them. So in
this case she knows what a mix of different woods and or contrasting stains
look like.

> Robert

G. Ross

Jun 15, 2016, 6:31:16 AM6/15/16
Leon wrote:

snip

> And although this customer has now bought 8 pieces, 6 jobs counting this
> one, I invited her and her husband out to see and feel our bed. This bed
> design eliminates the need for box springs and she was concerned about how
> that would feel. And then Kim cooked dinner for all of us and I think that
> was the last step necessary to sell this job. LOL

Sounds sorta kinky to me.
--
GW Ross

Patience..yeah...yeah...how long will
*that* take?

Leon

Jun 15, 2016, 11:40:42 AM6/15/16
On 6/15/2016 5:31 AM, G. Ross wrote:
> Leon wrote:
>
> snip
>
>> And although this customer has now bought 8 pieces, 6 jobs counting this
>> one, I invited her and her husband out to see and feel our bed. This bed
>> design eliminates the need for box springs and she was concerned about
>> how
>> that would feel. And then Kim cooked dinner for all of us and I think
>> that
>> was the last step necessary to sell this job. LOL
>>

> Sounds sorta kinky to me.

LOL..... AAMOF when we first moved into our new home, just over 5 years
ago, our surrounding neighbors, mostly women, would check in on the new
people with the 3 car garage and all the WW equipment. At the time the
only big pieces that we brought with us was the bedroom furniture. So
the first lady that I met I offered to show her my bedroom. ;~) She
delighted at telling the other women that she was the first that I
invited to my bedroom.

Now, LOL, this current customer, has seen our bedroom before but was not
buying a bedroom furniture at the time. When she and her husband came
over on Sunday she asked ME to show her my bedroom.

Takes me back about 40 years....;~)

sawdustmaker

Jun 15, 2016, 6:39:39 PM6/15/16
Sonny <cedar...@aol.com> wrote in
I've built 4 queen size beds over the years. Each time I think 'boy this is
a big SOB'.
Nice job.

Leon

Jun 16, 2016, 2:00:59 AM6/16/16
Thank you. I have built a king and queen in this style and this one will
be a king. I have also built a twin and a queen Murphy bed. And when
another customer saves the money I will have another queen Murphy bed to
build.

And Yes! They are big SOB's. LOL The furniture I build seems to fill
walls rather than just spots in a room. For our new new home I have built
7, go together, pieces of furniture in the last 5 years. 6 of the pieces
are 8' long, the seventh is 11' long. Our bed and side towers, in one of
the links, covers 12' of wall space.

Leon

Jun 18, 2016, 8:36:11 PM6/18/16
So I bought 109 lf of 1x8 red oak, a couple of sheets of 1/2" Baltic
birch, a couple of 3/4" MDO and a couple of 1/4" plies for filler panels
and drawer bottoms yesterday.

I use CutList Plus to optimize my cuts and one of the MDO illustrations
showed no waste on width after all rip cuts. I usually don't like to
plan things out that close but I did fine. I had 2-13" wide cuts and
7-3" wide cuts to come out of a 4x8 sheet of MDO. I got all with about
1/32" taken off the last rip. I used the track saw for the first rip at
26.125" and its blade is just under 1/8" wide. I try to precut, for the
TS, easier to handle sizes.

Any way I cut the bed deck supports/drawer guides along with kick plate
cut outs and cut outs for upper and lower perpendicular supports.

I'll be adding spacers, wood slides/races to the support panels and
finally a face frame on both ends of the support panels.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/27683573421/in/dateposted-public/

OFWW

Jun 21, 2016, 12:06:30 AM6/21/16
On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 16:00:18 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
wrote:
Two hidden drawers for a his and hers self defense weapon?

Leon

Jun 21, 2016, 1:10:06 AM6/21/16
There are actually 3 hidden drawers but they are also more trouble to get
to.