Where are YOU cutting back?

Too_Many_Tools

Oct 25, 2008, 11:57:15 AM10/25/08
In tough times consumers tend to cut back...so where are you cutting
back, reprioritizing resources, whatever to make that dollar go
farther?

I am also posting this in the metal and wood working groups to hear
how those who pursue the hobby are allotting their resources.

Thanks

TMT

Doug Winterburn

Oct 25, 2008, 12:26:59 PM10/25/08

I'm spreading the wealth around. Bought new tires and a 32" LCD TV for
the 5th wheel. Ordered a Grizzly G0555 bandsaw on sale for $379.
Stimulating the economy as best I can.

Phisherman

Oct 25, 2008, 12:32:05 PM10/25/08

I have cut way back on using my vehicle. This includes less basic
shopping, no restaurants, less clothing, and no trying out new
products including woodworking tools. When it costs $85 to fill up I
try to make the tank last longer with fewer shorter trips, less
frequent visits (why is gas $2.90 a gallon when barrels are less than
$80?). No money right now to replace the gas truck guzzler, maybe
when the stock market improves and stabilizes a little bit.

Morris Dovey

Oct 25, 2008, 12:32:26 PM10/25/08
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
> In tough times consumers tend to cut back...so where are you cutting
> back, reprioritizing resources, whatever to make that dollar go
> farther?

I'm not cutting back. Instead I'm working to help people cut forward.

It /does/ take a bit of thinking about... :)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

EXT

Oct 25, 2008, 12:47:17 PM10/25/08

"Phisherman" <nob...@noone.com> wrote in message

Don't complain about $2.90 per gallon, during the peak, here in Canada,
where we have all our own oil and sell most of it to the US, it was running
at $1.20 per litre. At approximately 4 litres per gallon, gas cost us $4.80
per gallon. Today it is about 96 cents per litre, that is still about $3.84
per gallon. Makes $2.90 a bargain.

Ed Pawlowski

Oct 25, 2008, 12:50:23 PM10/25/08

"Too_Many_Tools" <too_man...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Doing less, but still doing everything as in the past. The price of gas and
heating oil is costing me about $300 a month over last year. I wanted to
build some new end tables, but they are pushed back a bit; instead I'm
making a couple of picture frames. There are a couple of other small
projects that I want to do cabinet, shelves) that can be done with pine
boards, not cherry.

All the money saving articles tell you to eat at home instead of at a
restaurant. OK, it is cheaper but stopping that once a week meal can put
the restaurant and all its employees out of business. I may skip the wine
or cocktail, but still order a normal meal. At home I may buy a chicken
instead of a rib roast. I skipped lobster at $10.99 and now it is on sale
at $3.99. Good bourbon is still about the same price though. I should
stock up.

Han

Oct 25, 2008, 1:02:59 PM10/25/08
"EXT" <noe...@reply.in.this.group> wrote in

It's less than $2.60/gal here in North Jersey, at many cheaper stations,
including Exxon <grimace>

--
Best regards
Han

Ignoramus3071

Oct 25, 2008, 2:21:22 PM10/25/08
I now use both sides of toilet paper

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Terry Coombs

Oct 25, 2008, 2:27:14 PM10/25/08

Only place we've cut back is fuel . The wife has a camper to stay in
during the week , since she teacches 45+ miles from where we live .
I haven't really cut back anywhere . In fact , I'm moving forward with my
plans to build a foundry to cast aluminum (and maybe bronze/brass later) ,
just finished pouring the hot face in my five gallon furnace . Firin' this
bad boy with a burner built similar to the Reil burners - based on his ,
actually .
Truth is , my wife is one verry verry savvy lady , has been doing a lot of
this "new" frugal stuff for years . She could WRITE those magazine articles
Snag
A good woman should be BESIDE her man ...

Rod Speed

Oct 25, 2008, 3:06:15 PM10/25/08
Too_Many_Tools <too_man...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In tough times consumers tend to cut back...

Some do, some dont.

> so where are you cutting back, reprioritizing resources,
> whatever to make that dollar go farther?

Nowhere, nada, ziltch.

Sac Dave

Oct 25, 2008, 3:26:18 PM10/25/08

"Morris Dovey" <mrd...@iedu.com> wrote in message

If you are into solar What should a 5.96 KW AC system cost . 30 panels (
sunpower SPR-225-BLK-U) one inverter ( sunpower SPR-7000m) We just
started looking into Solar because of high electric cost in our area (
Pacific Gas & Electric) Just curious if you would have any Idea.

JonquilJan

Oct 25, 2008, 3:13:22 PM10/25/08
Too_Many_Tools <too_man...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Letting some magazine subscriptions expire without renewing.
Making Christmas (and birthday) presents by hand instead of buying
(needlework)
Cutting out a lot of 'extra' comfort food purchases.
Hanging tarps/curtains over doorways to keep heat in the most lived in
areas/avoiding drafts.
Getting more from the 'day old' racks of produce. (Makes good soup - and
salads if used immediately).
Making some breads from scratch instead of purchasing.
Cancelling book club memberships (too tempting to buy).

All little things - but they add up.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

.

William Souden

Oct 25, 2008, 3:51:48 PM10/25/08
Rod Speed wrote:
> Too_Many_Tools <too_man...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> In tough times consumers tend to cut back...
>
> Some do, some dont.
>
>> so where are you cutting back, reprioritizing resources,
>> whatever to make that dollar go farther?
>
> Nowhere, nada, ziltch.

When you survive on welfare subsistence you have nothing to cut back.

William Souden

Oct 25, 2008, 3:53:54 PM10/25/08
canceled the local paper, the LA Times, and read it on line. I
still get the NY times and the web version misses a lot of stories from
the print edition.

Morris Dovey

Oct 25, 2008, 3:57:04 PM10/25/08
Sac Dave wrote:

> If you are into solar What should a 5.96 KW AC system cost . 30 panels (
> sunpower SPR-225-BLK-U) one inverter ( sunpower SPR-7000m) We just
> started looking into Solar because of high electric cost in our area (
> Pacific Gas & Electric) Just curious if you would have any Idea.

[responding from rec.woodworking]

I don't know. I stay pretty focused on thermal solar (heating, cooling,
and pumping), rather than photovoltaic. A good place to check would be
on news:alt.solar.photovoltaic where there are some folks in PG&E territory.

My accumulation of useful info from ASPV went down the drain with a
Windows/ME crash on my previous computer.

Chris

Oct 25, 2008, 4:16:39 PM10/25/08
But how much of that cost is tax. Where I live we pay about a total of $0.45 in
tax. Federal tax I believe is about $0.18 per/gl

Chris

Chris

Oct 25, 2008, 4:19:28 PM10/25/08
The only place my wife and I cut back is on our driving. We have a budget that
we live by and do not make increases for gas until each January. Other budget
items are done semi annually and quarterly.

Chris

cavelamb himself

Oct 25, 2008, 4:24:14 PM10/25/08

Why would anyone want to Cut Back?

Damn the torpedoes, Full spead ahead.

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

Jack Stein

Oct 25, 2008, 4:37:31 PM10/25/08
Tell me your not the Rod Speed of Fidonets Dr. Debug fame?

Damn, you get around...

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Gordon

Oct 25, 2008, 4:37:40 PM10/25/08
Too_Many_Tools <too_man...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:68bba63c-348a-
4da5-a10c-2...@l64g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

We are always looking for ways to save a few bucks.

-Shop at the Grocery Outlet for some good bargins
-Shop at the bread outlet store for bargins on bread.

-Shop low on the "food chain". That is buy more basics,
and no boxed meals. Buy from the bulk selection.

-Shop at the store with the best prices. Shun the
pricey upscale and natural food stores.

- WE have a pay as you throw garbage collection. Recently
we got a large recycleing tip cart (gratis). The thing is
huge. We realized that a lot of what we were throwing
out was recycleable. Se we diverted a large amount of
our trash to the recycleing bin (following the guidlines
of what was acceptable). We then had so little garbage,
that we were able to switch to the smaller garbage tip
cart. The tip rate depends on the size of the tip cart.
So we have a savings by using the smaller cart.

- Disconnect the cable TV.

- Cars: I have always bought used cars for cash. No actual
savings since it was a good habit already.

- Cutting my own hair. Use a #6 to buzz the sides. Trim the
top with sisors, my wife tapers the back.

- No eating out. We used to eat out once a week.

- Make our own pizza instead of calling for delivery.

-

Pat

Oct 25, 2008, 5:03:26 PM10/25/08
It is time to begin that new shop.

Lee Michaels

Oct 25, 2008, 5:19:20 PM10/25/08

"Too_Many_Tools" <too_man...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Well, I have put off buying that mansion, hummer and building a utopian
shop.

F. George McDuffee

Oct 25, 2008, 6:02:53 PM10/25/08
On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 08:57:15 -0700 (PDT), Too_Many_Tools
<too_man...@yahoo.com> wrote:

==========
Most of the posters to both RCM and AMC tend to be prudent and
frugal consumers [translastion real cheapscrews] so you may not
see much change here.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).

Leonard Shapiro

Oct 25, 2008, 6:56:25 PM10/25/08
strangely, nothing nothing at all

len

Swingman

Oct 25, 2008, 7:13:23 PM10/25/08
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote

> All the money saving articles tell you to eat at home instead of at a
> restaurant. OK, it is cheaper but stopping that once a week meal can put
> the restaurant and all its employees out of business. I may skip the wine
> or cocktail, but still order a normal meal. At home I may buy a chicken
> instead of a rib roast. I skipped lobster at $10.99 and now it is on sale
> at $3.99. Good bourbon is still about the same price though. I should
> stock up.

Food is indeed getting noticeably higher and higher here in Houston. I
suspect these folks here are taking advantage and charging what the trade
will bear ... typical US corporate bottom line mentality first, morality
last ... or what the hell is that?

Why do I think that?... in AR almost every single item in your shopping cart
at Kroger is a dollar cheaper than here in Texas.

So, screw 'em ... it's back to my old coon ass ways. I have a pressure
cooker that is older than I am (belonged to my grandmother). A 3 lb chuck
roast from the sale bin, seasoned, stuffed with some garlic buds, then
browned in olive oil in the cooker with sliced mushrooms, chopped onion and
bell pepper; add 1/4 cup of wine, and 15 minutes of pressure cooking will
give you a tender chunk of meat, with a lot gravy that will make you slap
your momma, is good for two, or three, for two days +.

Keep it refrigerated and on the third day, with about a half pound or so of
roast left, slice it into chunks, add canned new potatoes, carrots and corn
to the meat and gravy, maybe season some more, heat and you have a "stew"
that's good for at least one more meal.

Total for three days of supper ... less than $15, even at current exorbitant
prices.

The wine for the roast - a good Texas red can be had at Sam's for $9.89 for
2, 1 1/2 liter bottles - and is also damn good for the cook. DAMHIKT

Do the above twice a month and you can maybe afford to go to the Chinese
buffet occasionally ... or maybe even the Arlington for Sunday brunch once
every six months .... well, maybe not!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Bob in Phx

Oct 25, 2008, 7:16:14 PM10/25/08
Terry, I believe your wife is doing whats called "living within your
means"... At least thats what my Grandparents and Parents told me that its
called... Been there for years!!!! The house is almost paid (15 years early)
all the cars were paid for in cash I have some money in the bank and for
retirement.
Some years its harder then others, but they all sort of even out!!!!

bob in phx.
"Terry Coombs" <sna...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

Buddy Matlosz

Oct 25, 2008, 7:24:58 PM10/25/08
In your case, you can downsize to Just_Enough_Tools.

B.

Jim Stewart

Oct 25, 2008, 7:54:30 PM10/25/08
Ignoramus3071 wrote:
> I now use both sides of toilet paper

Another Russian joke?

Jim Stewart

Oct 25, 2008, 8:01:57 PM10/25/08
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
> In tough times consumers tend to cut back...so where are you cutting
> back, reprioritizing resources, whatever to make that dollar go
> farther?

It helps if you aren't a consumer.

I build and sell things for a living. Business
is very good. Huge amount of overseas orders
right now and having to beg my employees to work
overtime. I'm actually hoping it will slow down
a bit so we can tool up for some new products.

Personally, I'm a scrounge and I live in a temperate
climate and I'm 3 minutes from work. Don't spend
much to start with. The wife is a different matter,
but we're not going to go there (:

Rod Speed

Oct 25, 2008, 8:26:49 PM10/25/08
Jack Stein <jbst...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Tell me your not the Rod Speed of Fidonets Dr. Debug fame?

I'm not into lying |-)

> Damn, you get around...

Better than being a square I spose...

Gunner Asch

Oct 25, 2008, 8:52:29 PM10/25/08
On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 18:13:23 -0500, "Swingman" <k...@nospam.com> wrote:

>Food is indeed getting noticeably higher and higher here in Houston. I
>suspect these folks here are taking advantage and charging what the trade
>will bear ... typical US corporate bottom line mentality first, morality
>last ... or what the hell is that?
>
>Why do I think that?... in AR almost every single item in your shopping cart
>at Kroger is a dollar cheaper than here in Texas.

A friend came by today. He works for Walmart...and just transfered
back to California from Texas.

Mimimum wage was less in Texas, but housing, food ect ect were higher
in Texas than in California..least my part of it.

He transfered back to california, took a 2 level decrease in grade,
and a $2 an hour increase in pay.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.

Bruce L. Bergman

Oct 25, 2008, 9:06:43 PM10/25/08
<too_man...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>In tough times consumers tend to cut back...so where are you cutting

>back, reprioritizing resources, whatever to make that dollar go
>farther?
>

>I am also posting this in the metal and wood working groups to hear
>how those who pursue the hobby are allotting their resources.

We're not running an extravagant house, we're already the schlunky
looking place on the block. Much to the chagrin of the guy trying to
sell across the street, but if he thinks he can get top dollar in
/this/ market he's got a rude awakening coming - Forget making a
killing, he'll be lucky to get out alive... I'm cleaning up and
moving everything to the back yard.

Buying smarter, and raising the "Do we really need it?" bar yet
another notch - If it still works, it stays, if it can be fixed simply
it gets fixed. Amazing how many things die just because the fuse
popped, ignore the "No User Serviceable Parts Inside" bullshit.

Combining trips, and using Mom's Saturn SL2 (30+ MPG) a LOT more
than the Work Truck (10 MPG) for little trips.

Saving old light poles, Strut pieces, and other recyclable materials
for reuse. Have to build a horizontal rolling conduit and pipe rack,
and it'll be all reclaimed steel. Not 'Old Bed Frame' either -
although I have some OBF Steel I'm going to build a small paint rack
out of.

Sand down and put a coat of Oil-base Spar Polyurethane on shovel and
pick handles, rather than toss them and buy new. When they break,
/then/ they go.

Have to send in for DTV Converter coupons and put up another outdoor
antenna, since we've only got one Digital Ready set. With the old
small dish sometimes DirecTV goes away in the rain, and I'm not giving
Time/Warner Cable a dime.

Have to start following Mom's old tricks more of buying "almost
outdates" in the meat case - amazing that they used to charge extra
for "Aged Beef!" Cook triple and quadruple batches, and freeze meals
for later - or portion and freeze the ingredients.

And selectively picking dent cans, as long as it isn't on the seams.
I'm not going for Mystery Cans just yet... But if the market folks
are on the ball, they mark what they are. Or you can sometimes figure
it out from the production codes.

I might have to get/build one new computer to run Vista and new
apps, but the old ones keep running till they die.

--<< Bruce >>--

jo4hn

Oct 25, 2008, 10:22:47 PM10/25/08
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
> In tough times consumers tend to cut back...so where are you cutting
> back, reprioritizing resources, whatever to make that dollar go
> farther?
>
> I am also posting this in the metal and wood working groups to hear
> how those who pursue the hobby are allotting their resources.
>
> Thanks
>
> TMT
Query: Are you selling some of those excess tools you apparently have?
mahalo,
jo4hn

J. Clarke

Oct 25, 2008, 10:15:46 PM10/25/08

Nahh, Russians use Pravda. The toilet paper's never in stock.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

J. Clarke

Oct 25, 2008, 10:25:42 PM10/25/08

My machine is about 5 years old and it runs Vista just fine. And it
wasn't cutting edge when it was new. It did get a new video board
about a year ago, but that was because the old one died--it was
running Vista fine to the end.

Lee Michaels

Oct 25, 2008, 11:01:38 PM10/25/08

"J. Clarke" wrote

> My machine is about 5 years old and it runs Vista just fine. And it
> wasn't cutting edge when it was new. It did get a new video board
> about a year ago, but that was because the old one died--it was
> running Vista fine to the end.

So vista killed off your old graphics card, eh?

Reminds me of an old, reliable HP II printer I had. I got a postscript
cartridge for it and cranked out huge amount of work from this machine.

Then I got windows. It did not take long. Windows killed that old, reliable
machine. It just couldn't keep up.

Technology marches on, leaving a trail of old, toxic electonic waste. I am
now reviewing software based on their ability to run duo core versus quad
core. One application, I may just change some software over that is not as
versatile as what I am running now. But one application cries out for the
extra speed and processing power. The present setup is freezing and slowing
down.

And if I go and change it over, a major hassle, what will the situation be
like in another year or two?

<grumble, grumble>

Message has been deleted

Ignoramus3071

Oct 26, 2008, 2:33:39 AM10/26/08
On 2008-10-26, FlexUP! <FlexUP!> wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 13:21:22 -0500, Ignoramus3071
><ignora...@NOSPAM.3071.invalid> wrote:
>
>>I now use both sides of toilet paper
>
> I took free yoga classes at our local library, until I was limber enough to
> lick my own butt. The taste is nasty, but I save $42 per year in toilet
> paper.

Can you type on a keyboard while doing that? Now that would be a real
yoga accomplishment.
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

J. Clarke

Oct 26, 2008, 5:48:04 AM10/26/08
Lee Michaels wrote:
> "J. Clarke" wrote
>>
>> My machine is about 5 years old and it runs Vista just fine. And
>> it
>> wasn't cutting edge when it was new. It did get a new video board
>> about a year ago, but that was because the old one died--it was
>> running Vista fine to the end.
>>

> So vista killed off your old graphics card, eh?

Nahh, the fan died and the chip overheated.

> Reminds me of an old, reliable HP II printer I had. I got a
> postscript
> cartridge for it and cranked out huge amount of work from this
> machine.

HP used to make good stuff (of course the HP Laserjet II was really a
Canon with an HP label on it). The thing that annoys me is that they
don't support it the way they used to--no Vista driver for my HP photo
printer for example (but then there was never a
Windows 95 driver for the Scanjet I, so I guess that it's the same as
always).

> Then I got windows. It did not take long. Windows killed that old,
> reliable machine. It just couldn't keep up.
>
> Technology marches on, leaving a trail of old, toxic electonic
> waste.
> I am now reviewing software based on their ability to run duo core
> versus quad core. One application, I may just change some software
> over that is not as versatile as what I am running now. But one
> application cries out for the extra speed and processing power. The
> present setup is freezing and slowing down.

Just a suggestion, but spend the extra bucks for a machine that takes
ECC RAM. Most freezing problems are the result of defective memory.
One of the most annoying trends in computing is the elimination of any
kind of error checking on RAM--I understand the why of it--most
"computer technicians" used to "fix" parity errors by turning off
parity checking instead of finding and replacing the dead chip--but
for those of us who do know our butts from a hole in the ground it's
nice to have.

> And if I go and change it over, a major hassle, what will the
> situation be like in another year or two?

Good question, I think it's going to be a long while before I upgrade
software again.

> <grumble, grumble>

J T

Oct 26, 2008, 5:56:16 AM10/26/08
Sat, Oct 25, 2008, 8:57am (EDT-3) too_man...@yahoo.com
(Too_Many_Tools) did queryeth thusly:

In tough times consumers tend to cut back...so where are you cutting
back, reprioritizing resources, whatever to make that dollar go farther?
I am also posting this in the metal and wood working groups to hear how
those who pursue the hobby are allotting their resources.

I am doing my part by not answering questions like this, from
people who ask them, then don't say what they're doing.

JOAT
Where the choice is between only violence and cowardice, I would advise
violence.
- Mohandas Gandhi

Message has been deleted

Terry Coombs

Oct 26, 2008, 9:32:33 AM10/26/08
Stuart wrote:
> In article <ge0kn...@news7.newsguy.com>,

> J. Clarke <jclarke...@cox.net> wrote:
>> My machine is about 5 years old and it runs Vista just fine. And it
>> wasn't cutting edge when it was new. It did get a new video board
>> about a year ago, but that was because the old one died--it was
>> running Vista fine to the end.
>
> Even the last machine I built, a few months ago, has XP on it. I'm not
> touching Vista with a barge pole - far too many issues with it.
>
> Sorry wrong newsgroup for mickysoft rants.

The only machine in my house that runs Vista (well , not counting the kid's
comps) is the Acer we bought a year ago . The rest all run XP , with one as
a dual boot running Ubuntu 8.04 - which plays with Windows very well indeed
. Had Vista on that machine too , but decided to go to XP-Pro because of the
bloat .
Vista is indeed "Windows for Idiots" ...
--
Snag
Too many hobbies , too little time .

John Grossbohlin

Oct 26, 2008, 9:50:04 AM10/26/08

"J T" <Jakofal...@webtv.net> wrote in message

> Sat, Oct 25, 2008, 8:57am (EDT-3) too_man...@yahoo.com
> (Too_Many_Tools) did queryeth thusly:
> In tough times consumers tend to cut back...so where are you cutting
> back, reprioritizing resources, whatever to make that dollar go farther?
> I am also posting this in the metal and wood working groups to hear how
> those who pursue the hobby are allotting their resources.
>
> I am doing my part by not answering questions like this, from
> people who ask them, then don't say what they're doing.

Had a national phone survey call on the elections the other day that was
kind of intriguing so I stayed with it... By the time it was over, via the
questions asked, I figured out it was sponsored by Diageo
http://www.diageo.com/en-row/homepage.htm

It was pretty clear there are concerned about an increase in the sin tax
that applies to their products. The response categories made me think they
were polling using a list purchased from the WSJ... could be wrong about
that but it sure seemed that way. ;~)

A bit of sage craft in politics... nothing new there!

Bill

Oct 26, 2008, 10:47:42 AM10/26/08
I've been cutting back for 7 years (I look ahead).

Basically I have done everything I can to reduce fixed monthly expenses. If
these expenses are reduced, then I have more discretionary money each month.

I have free-to-air mpeg satellite (no monthly charge) and have no paid TV. I
also have zillions of VCR tapes. Nobody wants them anymore, I recently
purchased 100 VCR tapes for $10 the last day/hour of an estate sale. (They
sat there for 3 days.)
Free-to-air satellite: http://www.sadoun.com/Satellite-Products.htm

I have all electronic devices on power strips and turn off power when not in
use.

Have super-insulated my house and installed Energy Star windows.

I have new Energy Star appliances which use much less energy.

Energy Star....
http://www.energystar.gov

My car, which I purchased 4 years ago for $300 plus 1k in repairs, gets 38
MPG. (This was when no one wanted small cars.)

I don't take a shower unless it is needed. I can skip a couple of days in
the winter, summer sometimes 2 times a day - but as needed.

Food - I shop in a grocery store with price per ounce on the shelf label. I
buy the lowest cost per ounce foods. Sometimes I pay $20 for something
instead of $4, but the price per ounce is lower and I am getting more food
for what I spend.

ne...@picaxe.us

Oct 26, 2008, 10:55:07 AM10/26/08
On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 23:01:38 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
<leemichaels*nadaspam*@comcast.net> wrote:

>"J. Clarke" wrote
>>
>> My machine is about 5 years old and it runs Vista just fine. And it
>> wasn't cutting edge when it was new. It did get a new video board
>> about a year ago, but that was because the old one died--it was
>> running Vista fine to the end.
>>

>So vista killed off your old graphics card, eh?
>
>Reminds me of an old, reliable HP II printer I had. I got a postscript
>cartridge for it and cranked out huge amount of work from this machine.
>
>Then I got windows. It did not take long. Windows killed that old, reliable
>machine. It just couldn't keep up.

The HP III that I got free about 4 years ago (freecycle.org) developed
a smear issue when printing anything other than text. Not a toner
cartridge problem and I'm not currently able to do the disassembly to
repair it (recovering rom back surgery is only slightly faster than a
glacier melting).

Having found a Brother 2040 for my wife at end of year close-out
pricing last year, I considered the 2070N (same printer with network
capability) as a replacement for the III but found it discontinued.
There was a good deal on Ebay (do your homework - you can see prices
of previous sales), so that's what I'm now using. These little
printers weigh less than 15 lb and use less than half the power of the
II/III series (something like 500 watts max).

I still have a couple of the HP 500/520 series inkjet printers - these
were the ones that had a 3 year warranty (even the refurb units).
Although big, slow, and noisy by curent standards, they still work OK
for draft printing. Ink is cheap, as there were millions of these
sold and there are still new and refilled cartridges available.

>Technology marches on, leaving a trail of old, toxic electonic waste. I am
>now reviewing software based on their ability to run duo core versus quad
>core. One application, I may just change some software over that is not as
>versatile as what I am running now. But one application cries out for the
>extra speed and processing power. The present setup is freezing and slowing
>down.

Some software doesn't understand multi-core processors (the software
that came with my weather station) but the affinity utility can force
a program to use just one core.

>And if I go and change it over, a major hassle, what will the situation be
>like in another year or two?
>
><grumble, grumble>

I got 6 years out of the previous laptop; this dual-core one is from
the Dell Small Business line and came with XP installed and Vista
Business in the box. Since the next version of Windows (currently
identified as Windows 7) will probably be out in early 2009, Vista may
never get installed.

Swingman

Oct 26, 2008, 11:25:19 AM10/26/08
"Terry Coombs" wrote \

> Vista is indeed "Windows for Idiots" ...

More likely in this day and age: "Windows that Idiots Can't Run" ...

Gary Heston

Oct 26, 2008, 11:28:06 AM10/26/08
In article <034ed093$0$18622$c3e...@news.astraweb.com>,
Lee Michaels <leemichaels*nadaspam*@comcast.net> wrote:
[ ... ]

>Technology marches on, leaving a trail of old, toxic electonic waste. I am
>now reviewing software based on their ability to run duo core versus quad
>core. One application, I may just change some software over that is not as
>versatile as what I am running now. But one application cries out for the
>extra speed and processing power. The present setup is freezing and slowing
>down.

This is usually a symptom of memory problems, most often not enough of it.
Put in 4GB if your system will take it (only 64-bit versions of Windows
can address more than that; the 32-bit versions can only use 3.5GB). Use
the same brand and type modules; they will play well together better than
mixing brands or speeds.

Another poster mentioned using ECC memory; that will also improve stability,
but it adds to cost. It's usually found in servers rather than PCs, so
expect to spend $300+ for a motherboard, for example.

I've been building systems at work recently with dual quad-core Intel Xeon
CPUs, SuperMicro X7DAL motherboards, 12GB of memory, and GeForce 8800GT
video cards, dual booting between Windows XP and RedHat Linux. Also built
some similar ones with 2GB and no fancy video in 1U rack cases (one of
them at 100% CPU puts out less heat than a dual 3.2GHz Xeon while doing
4x the work) for computation servers running Fedora 7. The users like
them quite a bit, and I haven't heard of any stability issues.

>And if I go and change it over, a major hassle, what will the situation be
>like in another year or two?

No telling, but Intel is about to bring out a six-core chip with an eight-
core in the works, which are supposed to be socket-compatable with the
quad-cores...

It's impossible to keep up. Just buy a system to do the job you need to
do at the moment, and don't worry about the future.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

Why is it that these days, the words "What idiot" are so frequently
followed by the words "at Microsoft"?

Tom Veatch

Oct 26, 2008, 11:36:51 AM10/26/08
<too_man...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>In tough times consumers tend to cut back...so where are you cutting
>back, reprioritizing resources, whatever to make that dollar go
>farther?
>
>I am also posting this in the metal and wood working groups to hear
>how those who pursue the hobby are allotting their resources.
>

>Thanks
>
>TMT

Retired, "tough times" haven't affected my pensions nor, so far, the
income from my securities. Market value of my holdings has decreased
but I've lost no money unless I sell them which I have no intention of
doing. In fact, I'm buying more while the price is low.

In general, I've decided not to participate in the tough times nor in
the media induced panic. Ever noticed that the prophesies of the doom
and gloom pundits are self-fulfilling.

People, the "stock market" is NOT the economy regardless of what the
nightly news-readers say. Too many people use Wall Street like your
friendly neighborhood casino. When you do, expect to lose.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Doug Winterburn

Oct 26, 2008, 11:49:59 AM10/26/08
You can use the following to check the memory in your PC:

http://www.memtest.org/

Terry Coombs

Oct 26, 2008, 11:48:47 AM10/26/08
Swingman wrote:
> "Terry Coombs" wrote \
>
>> Vista is indeed "Windows for Idiots" ...
>
> More likely in this day and age: "Windows that Idiots Can't Run" ...

Dude , you do some seriously nice woodwork ! I'm a cabinetmaker by trade ,
but production work doesn't allow such niceties as fingerjointed corners ...
BTW , you mis-spelled "ruin" . Vista throws up so many flags , the average
sheeple won't dare change much for fear of crashing the system .
--
Snag
'90 Ultra "Strider"

Swingman

Oct 26, 2008, 11:56:21 AM10/26/08

> Swingman wrote:
>> "Terry Coombs" wrote \
>>
>>> Vista is indeed "Windows for Idiots" ...
>>
>> More likely in this day and age: "Windows that Idiots Can't Run" ...
>
> Dude , you do some seriously nice woodwork ! I'm a cabinetmaker by trade
> , but production work doesn't allow such niceties as fingerjointed corners

"Fingerjointed" corner? ... where?

> BTW , you mis-spelled "ruin" . Vista throws up so many flags , the
> average sheeple won't dare change much for fear of crashing the system .

Pretty well proves the point that "average sheeple" aren't smart enough to
run it, eh?

mac davis

Oct 26, 2008, 1:51:56 PM10/26/08
<too_man...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>In tough times consumers tend to cut back...so where are you cutting
>back, reprioritizing resources, whatever to make that dollar go
>farther?
>
>I am also posting this in the metal and wood working groups to hear
>how those who pursue the hobby are allotting their resources.
>
>Thanks
>
>TMT

Mostly Gas.. Even though we're still paying only about $250 USD for a gallon of
unleaded, it still is high, compared to about $1.55 a year ago..
Almost everyone that I talk to here are cutting down on their trips and visits
to the States, because of the fuel prices..

Somewhat related, since I order most of my tools and supplies on the web, I look
for free shipping offers, as the price of fuel has made shipping very
expensive..

I'm lucky enough to be in sort of a good position..
My income is actually going up faster than prices are rising..
Who woulda thunk it, retiring to Mexico?

I'm trying to spend as much as I can locally, and telling folks how well the
economy will be doing soon...
Not true? Well, as we used to say in the real estate business, "perception
becomes reality, if enough people share the perception"...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Robatoy

Oct 26, 2008, 2:14:15 PM10/26/08
In article
<68bba63c-348a-4da5...@l64g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
Too_Many_Tools <too_man...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In tough times consumers tend to cut back...so where are you cutting
> back, reprioritizing resources, whatever to make that dollar go
> farther?
>
> I am also posting this in the metal and wood working groups to hear
> how those who pursue the hobby are allotting their resources.
>
> Thanks
>
> TMT

It is at times like these that a lot of good toys are going cheap. Stuff
like motor bikes, power boats, even cottages up north are showing more
ForSale signs. (A lot of Michiganians are no longer willing to spend the
money on fuel to get there.)

True conservative money managers, are now in a position to snatch away
all those toys from those spend-crazy libtards at bargain basement
prices. Fools and their money etc. etc. etc.

So, times like these are opportunities for those who show fiscal
restraint during times of strong incomes. The trick is to cut back when
there is lots to go around, not when you 'have to' cut back.

IOW... my family's life-style is not going to change much as we are used
to being careful. Angela and I never needed to clip coupons, but always
did. Most things were bought on sale. Last weekend, we celebrated our
anniversary in Toronto, stayed in one of the best hotels for two nights,
saw two high quality plays at nice theaters, had some superb food.
Package deals, PriceLine, Coupons.. all made the whole trip very
affordable. Then we bought 3 leather jackets at a Danier Outlet store
and saved huge there too. We managed to keep a couple of grand of our
hard earned cash that weekend.

Life goes on as usual.

Terry Coombs

Oct 26, 2008, 2:18:22 PM10/26/08
Swingman wrote:
> "Terry Coombs" <sna...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> Swingman wrote:
>>> "Terry Coombs" wrote \

>>> More likely in this day and age: "Windows that Idiots Can't Run" ...
>>
>> Dude , you do some seriously nice woodwork ! I'm a cabinetmaker by
>> trade , but production work doesn't allow such niceties as
>> fingerjointed corners ...
>
> "Fingerjointed" corner? ... where?

Oops , dovetail corner on the walnut hope chest .
A horse is a horse , of course . Unless it's a mule . Well , they *do* look
a lot alike !

Swingman

Oct 26, 2008, 2:42:58 PM10/26/08

"Terry Coombs" wrote

> Oops , dovetail corner on the walnut hope chest .
> A horse is a horse , of course . Unless it's a mule . Well , they *do*
> look a lot alike !

LOL ... that they do.

Swingman

Oct 26, 2008, 2:55:23 PM10/26/08
"Robatoy" wrote

> It is at times like these that a lot of good toys are going cheap. Stuff
> like motor bikes, power boats, even cottages up north are showing more
> ForSale signs. (A lot of Michiganians are no longer willing to spend the
> money on fuel to get there.)

Not cheap enough.

I want a bass boat. I'm watching craigslist in three states. Have the icons
on my desktop to prove it. I even have a lake with dock to put it in. I have
requested additional pictures from all the sucker sellers who will send
them, just so I can mas ... er, salivate.

That said, SWMBO just got off the phone after making me pay for youngest
daughter's round trip home from college for Thanksgiving.

... and now the Christmas reservations must be made.

... and that dock needs repair, and the permit for that is $250, then the
material, plus gas to get there.

So much for the farking bass boat ... now wondering if I can afford a cork
and cane pole?

Lee Michaels

Oct 26, 2008, 3:00:09 PM10/26/08

"Gary Heston" wrote

> This is usually a symptom of memory problems, most often not enough of it.
> Put in 4GB if your system will take it (only 64-bit versions of Windows
> can address more than that; the 32-bit versions can only use 3.5GB). Use
> the same brand and type modules; they will play well together better than
> mixing brands or speeds.

Nope, not a memory problem. Just a lot more data and computations than the
original software was designed for. Which is why everybody is going to the
duocore.

One particular application I found allows me to use the quadcore. But it is
only one application. But the savings in functions, etc should justify the
extra cost. Not just yet theough. We'll see.

> Another poster mentioned using ECC memory; that will also improve
> stability,
> but it adds to cost. It's usually found in servers rather than PCs, so
> expect to spend $300+ for a motherboard, for example.

I will look into that. The problem with the server boards I have had in the
past, they don't run a lot of monitors. I have need for lots of monitors.
The big limit to the monitors I can run in this freezing and slowing
behavior when the data increases beyond a certain point.

> I've been building systems at work recently with dual quad-core Intel Xeon
> CPUs, SuperMicro X7DAL motherboards, 12GB of memory, and GeForce 8800GT
> video cards, dual booting between Windows XP and RedHat Linux. Also built
> some similar ones with 2GB and no fancy video in 1U rack cases (one of
> them at 100% CPU puts out less heat than a dual 3.2GHz Xeon while doing
> 4x the work) for computation servers running Fedora 7. The users like
> them quite a bit, and I haven't heard of any stability issues.

Sounds like my kind of machine! I been hearing about the 64 bit windows
seven. The memory constraints of older operating systems will be gone. I
am certain that a lot of my problems would go away with enough memory.

Swingman

Oct 26, 2008, 3:13:12 PM10/26/08
"Lee Michaels" wrote

> Sounds like my kind of machine! I been hearing about the 64 bit windows
> seven. The memory constraints of older operating systems will be gone. I
> am certain that a lot of my problems would go away with enough memory.

Seems like that would hold true for processors also. In the old days in the
studio I always built dual processor mb's (the software was multi-threaded)
when digital recording was coming to the fore in the industry, and even with
the same amount of RAM, the fact that no processor was being run at, or
close to capacity did wonders for all those aberrations, lockups and
glitches that happened on a single processor machine.

I'm getting rusty on new technology, admittedly. I've gone from bleeding
edge to old fogey in the last four years ... but even though my geek status
has been revoked, I do watch John D. on his weekly "Cranky Geeks" podcast,
and am still convinced that Leo Laporte is a know nothing newcomer.

Larry Jaques

Oct 26, 2008, 3:47:58 PM10/26/08
On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 10:56:21 -0500, the infamous "Swingman"
<k...@nospam.com> scrawled the following:

>"Terry Coombs" <sna...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> Swingman wrote:
>>> "Terry Coombs" wrote \

>>> More likely in this day and age: "Windows that Idiots Can't Run" ...
>>
>> Dude , you do some seriously nice woodwork ! I'm a cabinetmaker by trade
>> , but production work doesn't allow such niceties as fingerjointed corners
>
>"Fingerjointed" corner? ... where?

Could he mean dovetailed joins, p'raps?

>> BTW , you mis-spelled "ruin" . Vista throws up so many flags , the
>> average sheeple won't dare change much for fear of crashing the system .
>
>Pretty well proves the point that "average sheeple" aren't smart enough to
>run it, eh?

The average OS isn't smart enough to run itself. I waited for two
years before moving up to XP. I'll give Vista an extra year for good
measure.

--
Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Gary Heston

Oct 26, 2008, 4:32:01 PM10/26/08
In article <034fb128$0$18607$c3e...@news.astraweb.com>,
Lee Michaels <leemichaels*nadaspam*@comcast.net> wrote:

>"Gary Heston" wrote
[ ... ]

>> Another poster mentioned using ECC memory; that will also improve
>> stability,
>> but it adds to cost. It's usually found in servers rather than PCs, so
>> expect to spend $300+ for a motherboard, for example.
>>

>I will look into that. The problem with the server boards I have had in the
>past, they don't run a lot of monitors. I have need for lots of monitors.
>The big limit to the monitors I can run in this freezing and slowing
>behavior when the data increases beyond a certain point.

How many monitors do you need? Most of our workstations are dual monitor
with the GeForce 8800GTs... Perhaps you would benefit more with a better
video adapter (or two) to offload the main CPU a bit.

>> I've been building systems at work recently with dual quad-core Intel Xeon
>> CPUs, SuperMicro X7DAL motherboards, 12GB of memory, and GeForce 8800GT
>> video cards, dual booting between Windows XP and RedHat Linux. Also built
>> some similar ones with 2GB and no fancy video in 1U rack cases (one of
>> them at 100% CPU puts out less heat than a dual 3.2GHz Xeon while doing
>> 4x the work) for computation servers running Fedora 7. The users like
>> them quite a bit, and I haven't heard of any stability issues.

>Sounds like my kind of machine! I been hearing about the 64 bit windows
>seven. The memory constraints of older operating systems will be gone. I
>am certain that a lot of my problems would go away with enough memory.

There is a 64-bit version of Windows XP currently available. You might also
consider Windows Server 2003; it might prove more stable for you.

There are also 64-bit versions of several Linux distributions, including
RedHat, if your apps are available for it.

However, whether Windows or Linux, your application would have to be
compiled for 64-bit to take advantage of the OS.

Gary Heston

Oct 26, 2008, 4:45:15 PM10/26/08
In article <qq2Nk.54120$Ep1....@bignews2.bellsouth.net>,

Terry Coombs <sna...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>Swingman wrote:
>> "Terry Coombs" <sna...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
[ ... ]

>>> Dude , you do some seriously nice woodwork ! I'm a cabinetmaker by
>>> trade , but production work doesn't allow such niceties as
>>> fingerjointed corners ...

>> "Fingerjointed" corner? ... where?

> Oops , dovetail corner on the walnut hope chest .
>A horse is a horse , of course . Unless it's a mule . Well , they *do* look
>a lot alike !

Finger joints tend to be equally spaced, dovetails usually aren't.

Definantly concur on the quality of the work, though, having spent most
of the afternoon looking at the project archive, very nice construction
and finishing.

Gary Heston

Oct 26, 2008, 4:53:32 PM10/26/08
In article <ZqqdnQ_f7YOHIJnU...@giganews.com>,
Swingman <k...@nospam.com> wrote:
[ ... ]

>... and that dock needs repair, and the permit for that is $250, then the
>material, plus gas to get there.

>So much for the farking bass boat ... now wondering if I can afford a cork
>and cane pole?

Have you considered building a wood strip canoe?

http://home.rochester.rr.com/cjbond/canoe/canoe.htm

is one example; should be a breeze for you. You've already got all the
tools, about all you'd need is the strongback.

k...@nospam.com

Oct 26, 2008, 5:28:18 PM10/26/08
On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 15:45:15 -0500, ghe...@hiwaay.net (Gary Heston)
wrote:

>Definantly concur on the quality of the work, though, having spent most
>of the afternoon looking at the project archive, very nice construction
>and finishing.
>

>Gary

Gosh ... thanks for the kind words! I'm just one of the average
woodworker joe's hereabouts. The woods is full of some mighty fine
woodworkers over here on the wRec.

Mark & Juanita

Oct 26, 2008, 5:38:33 PM10/26/08
Swingman wrote:

Tell ya what, if times are that tight, I'll pitch in for the cork for you.
:-|

Mark & Juanita

Oct 26, 2008, 5:42:51 PM10/26/08
Tom Veatch wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 08:57:15 -0700 (PDT), Too_Many_Tools
> <too_man...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>In tough times consumers tend to cut back...so where are you cutting
>>back, reprioritizing resources, whatever to make that dollar go
>>farther?
>>
>>I am also posting this in the metal and wood working groups to hear
>>how those who pursue the hobby are allotting their resources.
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>TMT
>
> Retired, "tough times" haven't affected my pensions nor, so far, the
> income from my securities. Market value of my holdings has decreased
> but I've lost no money unless I sell them which I have no intention of
> doing. In fact, I'm buying more while the price is low.
>
> In general, I've decided not to participate in the tough times nor in
> the media induced panic. Ever noticed that the prophesies of the doom
> and gloom pundits are self-fulfilling.

Thank-you for that brief intrusion of sanity into the media-induced panic.

Lee Michaels

Oct 26, 2008, 5:48:43 PM10/26/08

"Gary Heston" wrote

> How many monitors do you need? Most of our workstations are dual monitor
> with the GeForce 8800GTs... Perhaps you would benefit more with a better
> video adapter (or two) to offload the main CPU a bit.

How many monitors do I need?? That is like asking how much sex do I need!

My applications cover so many different time periods and data, that it is
not possible to put them all together on one desktop. I am designing
workstations that will support on specialized poles, from 24 to as many as
40 flat panel displays. Another issue is the new wider flat panel displays.
Can my present applications utilize these wider dispalys? Or will they just
make it more difficult to see what needs to seen now? Again, details like
drivers and stresses on system resources need to be addressed.

Another big problem is tht nobody really addresses how their product will
perform in these extreme applictions. It really boils down to the fact that
there is a cycle involved as to how often you upgrade/replace hardware. You
get the best you can get at the time with funds available.

Gary Heston

Oct 26, 2008, 7:18:24 PM10/26/08
In article <04605ad9$0$29453$c3e...@news.astraweb.com>,
Lee Michaels <leemichaels*nadaspam*@comcast.net> wrote:

>"Gary Heston" wrote

>> How many monitors do you need? Most of our workstations are dual monitor
>> with the GeForce 8800GTs... Perhaps you would benefit more with a better
>> video adapter (or two) to offload the main CPU a bit.

>How many monitors do I need?? That is like asking how much sex do I need!

>My applications cover so many different time periods and data, that it is
>not possible to put them all together on one desktop. I am designing
>workstations that will support on specialized poles, from 24 to as many as
>40 flat panel displays. Another issue is the new wider flat panel displays.
>Can my present applications utilize these wider dispalys? Or will they just
>make it more difficult to see what needs to seen now? Again, details like
>drivers and stresses on system resources need to be addressed.

I'd say you're definantly a niche market, with that many displays required.
Have you looked into clusters? That would allow lots of monitors to be
supported, provide lots of CPUs and memory, and improve reliability.

>Another big problem is tht nobody really addresses how their product will
>perform in these extreme applictions. It really boils down to the fact that
>there is a cycle involved as to how often you upgrade/replace hardware. You
>get the best you can get at the time with funds available.

So, I suppose calling SGI is not an option...

cavelamb himself

Oct 26, 2008, 9:38:37 PM10/26/08

I've been toying with that idea as well.

I hate digging through a bunch of small windows to looks something up
while I'm drawing or whatever.

A second (or third?) screen would be most useful.

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

The Real Bev

Oct 26, 2008, 10:23:16 PM10/26/08
cavelamb himself wrote:

X/linux will allow you to have as many screens (desktops,not monitors)
as you want -- I use 4 and can move from one to another by moving my
mouse to the edge of the current screen. The Windows powertoys
(tweakui) will also allow you 4 screens.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Lee Michaels

Oct 26, 2008, 11:14:38 PM10/26/08

"Gary Heston" wrote

> I'd say you're definantly a niche market, with that many displays
> required.
> Have you looked into clusters? That would allow lots of monitors to be
> supported, provide lots of CPUs and memory, and improve reliability.

OK, you are in an area that I have not heard of. What are clusters? The
present solution is to configure various windows machines with either 4, 6.
8 or 12 monitors. Then put them nex to each other.

Another problem is drivers. Many of these systems do not allow monitors to
be configured three high. So we configure two sets of whatever on the
bottom two high. Then a third unit on top, spread across the top of the
other units. They are then configured as a horizontal configuration. Then
the whole thing is run from three mice and micro keyboards. We use the
keyboards very little for these programs.

If you have any other suggestions, like the clusters, etc, send them along.
I am in research mode for the next systems to be installed in the next 3 - 6
months.

Modat22

Oct 27, 2008, 9:44:43 AM10/27/08
<too_man...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>In tough times consumers tend to cut back...so where are you cutting
>back, reprioritizing resources, whatever to make that dollar go
>farther?
>
>I am also posting this in the metal and wood working groups to hear
>how those who pursue the hobby are allotting their resources.
>
>Thanks
>
>TMT

Well I built a sawmill 3 years ago so wood isn't a problem for me. The
economy has actually made me get into my hobby more. I find that I
stay home after work most of the time now and just build things to
keep my mind off the economy and job fears.

Saying that though, if the economy gets worse and I loose my job I'll
probably have to sell my place, get an apartment and get rid of my
tools since I won't have a place to store them.

Jeff

Oct 26, 2008, 9:50:10 AM10/26/08
Sac Dave wrote:
> "Morris Dovey" <mrd...@iedu.com> wrote in message

>> Too_Many_Tools wrote:
>>> In tough times consumers tend to cut back...so where are you cutting
>>> back, reprioritizing resources, whatever to make that dollar go
>>> farther?
>> I'm not cutting back. Instead I'm working to help people cut forward.
>>
>> It /does/ take a bit of thinking about... :)
>>
>> --
>> Morris Dovey
>> DeSoto Solar
>> DeSoto, Iowa USA
>> http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/
>
> If you are into solar What should a 5.96 KW AC system cost . 30 panels (
> sunpower SPR-225-BLK-U) one inverter ( sunpower SPR-7000m) We just
> started looking into Solar because of high electric cost in our area (
> Pacific Gas & Electric) Just curious if you would have any Idea.

Wait a bit. You can do solar AC without ever generating electricity.
PV is expensive. You can ask in alt.solar.pv for Photovoltaic questions.
There's some technology (printed PV) there also that may hit the market
some day at 1$/watt.

Jeff

mac davis

Oct 27, 2008, 12:40:44 PM10/27/08
On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 20:38:37 -0500, cavelamb himself <cave...@Xearthlink.net>
wrote:

>I've been toying with that idea as well.
>
>I hate digging through a bunch of small windows to looks something up
>while I'm drawing or whatever.
>
>A second (or third?) screen would be most useful.

I've been using 2 monitors for a few years...
I don't have room or budget for more, and with most versions of windoz, it's
very easy to set up if your graphics card supports 2..
It's basically just an extended desktop, and you drag whatever you want over to
the extension..

I don't do a lot of high end stuff, but I enjoy the simple things like having
Frontpage on one monitor and Photoshop on the other, or when being bad, a game
on one while I still see my email, icons, task bar, etc..

OH! Almost forgot that for our karaoke gig, the wife uses her monitor to run the
program and the extended desktop to run the 3 TV sets that the words appear on..

mac davis

Oct 27, 2008, 12:46:34 PM10/27/08
On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 12:47:58 -0700, Larry Jaques <novalidaddress@di\/ersify.com>
wrote:

>The average OS isn't smart enough to run itself. I waited for two
>years before moving up to XP. I'll give Vista an extra year for good
>measure.

My computer blew a motherboard a few months ago...
I shopped all over the web for an XP machine and all they offered was Vista..

Since my wife is braver than I, we got HER a nice machine with Vista, and I took
over her old computer (a slightly faster version of mine) and just moved her
drive to D and threw mine in as C..
She actually likes Vista, unless she needs to print something out of Word or
Excel.. then she has to use my XP machine.. and we did have to move all the
printers from her computer to mine..

It appears that Micro$oft wants you to buy Office 07 as well as Vista..
Vista does not really like Office 03.. Go figure!

Pat Barber

Oct 27, 2008, 3:16:36 PM10/27/08
I had some of your etouffee on Friday night....

Very tasty and has now been added to the permanent list
of stuff to eat.

Swingman wrote:

> So, screw 'em ... it's back to my old coon ass ways.

wfhab...@hotmail.com

Oct 27, 2008, 4:55:41 PM10/27/08
On Oct 25, 7:24 pm, "Buddy Matlosz" <amatl...@optonline.net> wrote:
> In your case, you can downsize to Just_Enough_Tools.
>
> B.
>
> "Too_Many_Tools" <too_many_to...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > In tough times consumers tend to cut back...so where are you cutting
> > back, reprioritizing resources, whatever to make that dollar go
> > farther?
>
> > I am also posting this in the metal and wood working groups to hear
> > how those who pursue the hobby are allotting their resources.
>
> > Thanks
>
> > TMT

Well, last year we had a high efficiency natural gas furnace
installed; 94% vs 64% efficiency. Two years ago we increased the
insulation from 6" to 15 1/2" in 1200 sq. ft. attic. Had the front
thermopanes replaced... They'd begun to fog up in the evenings during
winter. The walls have 6" fibreglas plus 1" styrofoam and 4" bricks
already. The windows are still tight. Exterior doors were all
replaced with metal doors and urethane foam insulation including
magnetic door seals. Installed low energy "curly" bulbs in the
workshop. Sold all US investments 2 years ago.

My better half is very frugal by nature so no prob. there. We
traveled less this summer but not because of gas prices.

Apart from that we already own most conveniences, thus no changes
you'd notice. Shop projects are sporadic at best as is machinery
acquisition.. Material costs are minimal.

Wolfgang

Swingman

Oct 27, 2008, 6:31:46 PM10/27/08
"Pat Barber" wrote

Glad you enjoyed it .... one of my favorites for a quick meal that tastes
like it took all day to cook.

Han

Oct 27, 2008, 8:05:43 PM10/27/08
mac davis <m...@davisbajasplinters.com> wrote in

> My computer blew a motherboard a few months ago...
> I shopped all over the web for an XP machine and all they offered was
> Vista..
>
> Since my wife is braver than I, we got HER a nice machine with Vista,
> and I took over her old computer (a slightly faster version of mine)
> and just moved her drive to D and threw mine in as C..
> She actually likes Vista, unless she needs to print something out of
> Word or Excel.. then she has to use my XP machine.. and we did have to
> move all the printers from her computer to mine..

Our printers are attached to the upstairs desktop. Her XP laptop and my
Vista laptop can easily print to the Brother 5040 monchrome laser or the
Canon pixma whatever color inkjet. No problem, except running upstairs
to change paper and collect the printout. Same for daughter and son and
their Vista laptops. It took a while to get the machines to recognize
the printers on the workgroup in my house ...

> It appears that Micro$oft wants you to buy Office 07 as well as
> Vista.

That may be so, but I still like Office 2003 much better, and it works
under Vista Home Basic just fine, so far. Knocking on wood ...

> Vista does not really like Office 03.. Go figure!

Huh?

--
Best regards
Han

Gary Heston

Oct 27, 2008, 8:48:36 PM10/27/08
In article <0445ccd6$0$4419$c3e...@news.astraweb.com>,
Lee Michaels <leemichaels*nadaspam*@comcast.net> wrote:

>"Gary Heston" wrote

>> I'd say you're definantly a niche market, with that many displays
>> required.
>> Have you looked into clusters? That would allow lots of monitors to be
>> supported, provide lots of CPUs and memory, and improve reliability.

>OK, you are in an area that I have not heard of. What are clusters? The
>present solution is to configure various windows machines with either 4, 6.
>8 or 12 monitors. Then put them nex to each other.

Clusters are interconnected systems; they can be configured in various
ways, you'd probably want a load-balancing setup. Downside is that where
Windows is concerned, only server operating systems support clusters.

A search of www.microsoft.com will produce more and more detailed info.

>Another problem is drivers. Many of these systems do not allow monitors to
>be configured three high. So we configure two sets of whatever on the
>bottom two high. Then a third unit on top, spread across the top of the
>other units. They are then configured as a horizontal configuration. Then
>the whole thing is run from three mice and micro keyboards. We use the
>keyboards very little for these programs.

Sounds like an impresive setup. Most of what I take care of is in racks.

>If you have any other suggestions, like the clusters, etc, send them along.
>I am in research mode for the next systems to be installed in the next 3 - 6
>months.

You might contact your video adapter vendor to see if they'll do a custom
driver for you, or provide the source code to a developer working for you
to get it to handle your preferred monitor configuration.

Get an evaluation copy of Windows Server 2008 and try running your application
on it. While you don't need most of the services (just disable them), its'
superior memory management and less "user experience" crud should prove
to be much more stable. Anything running on XP should run on it with no
problems.

I gather your application isn't available on Linux/Unix/BSD; if it were
and was multithreaded, a Linux cluster would be an excellent choice.

Gary Heston

Oct 27, 2008, 9:01:41 PM10/27/08
In article <GeudnS_gF8IjhpjU...@earthlink.com>,
cavelamb himself <cave...@Xearthlink.net> wrote:

[ ... ]

>I've been toying with that idea as well.

>I hate digging through a bunch of small windows to looks something up
>while I'm drawing or whatever.

>A second (or third?) screen would be most useful.

Windows XP will support dual monitors, either using a dual-head
video adapter, or two of the same type. A good dual-head adapter
(like the GeForce 8800GT) is the better choice. (Why? Because while
a lot of motherboards have two PCI Express slots, they're usually
not the same speed--one is 16x, the other is 1x or 4x. One card in
the 16x slot gives better performace.)

cavelamb himself

Oct 27, 2008, 9:43:00 PM10/27/08
The Real Bev wrote:

>>> Another big problem is tht nobody really addresses how their product
>>> will perform in these extreme applictions. It really boils down to
>>> the fact that there is a cycle involved as to how often you
>>> upgrade/replace hardware. You get the best you can get at the time
>>> with funds available.
>>

>> I've been toying with that idea as well.
>>
>> I hate digging through a bunch of small windows to looks something up
>> while I'm drawing or whatever.
>>
>> A second (or third?) screen would be most useful.
>

> X/linux will allow you to have as many screens (desktops,not monitors)
> as you want -- I use 4 and can move from one to another by moving my
> mouse to the edge of the current screen. The Windows powertoys
> (tweakui) will also allow you 4 screens.

Thanks Real,

I'lve heard of TweakUI, but never played with it.
Guess it's time...

The Real Bev

Oct 27, 2008, 10:05:41 PM10/27/08
cavelamb himself wrote:

>>> I've been toying with that idea as well.
>>>
>>> I hate digging through a bunch of small windows to looks something up
>>> while I'm drawing or whatever.
>>>
>>> A second (or third?) screen would be most useful.
>>

>> X/linux will allow you to have as many screens (desktops,not monitors)
>> as you want -- I use 4 and can move from one to another by moving my
>> mouse to the edge of the current screen. The Windows powertoys
>> (tweakui) will also allow you 4 screens.

You have to click on the 1/2/3/4 down at the bottom, but it works.

> Thanks Real,
>
> I'lve heard of TweakUI, but never played with it.
> Guess it's time...

M$ puts a BEWARE THERE BE DRAGONS HERE notice on it, but I've used one
or another of its functions since 1995 with no problems at all. It
contains stuff that SHOULD have been in the OS but, for some reason, isn't.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Scritch

Oct 28, 2008, 10:17:46 AM10/28/08
Too_Many_Tools <too_man...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:68bba63c-348a-4da5-
a10c-26d...@l64g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

> In tough times consumers tend to cut back...so where are you cutting
> back, reprioritizing resources, whatever to make that dollar go
> farther?
>
> I am also posting this in the metal and wood working groups to hear
> how those who pursue the hobby are allotting their resources.
>
> Thanks
>
> TMT

It's time to start home brewing again. It might not cost less per bottle,
but it'll keep me from drinking more.

Ignoramus20172

Oct 28, 2008, 10:59:23 AM10/28/08
On 2008-10-28, Scritch <in...@mymainstreet.info> wrote:
> It's time to start home brewing again. It might not cost less per bottle,
> but it'll keep me from drinking more.

How brewing at home will keep you from drinking more?

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Charlie Self

Oct 28, 2008, 11:17:24 AM10/28/08
On Oct 25, 11:57 am, Too_Many_Tools <too_many_to...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> In tough times consumers tend to cut back...so where are you cutting
> back, reprioritizing resources, whatever to make that dollar go
> farther?
>
> I am also posting this in the metal and wood working groups to hear
> how those who pursue the hobby are allotting their resources.

We started with new windows and siding. That should cut fuel
consumption at least a bit.

We decided to keep both vehicles at least two more years, so spent
about $1,300 on the car for repairs and maintenance. My old truck
needed an oil change. I also need to get a new lock system on the
camper cap. Gaffer's tape holding the cap gate shut is getting to be a
PITA.

I upgraded my computer monitor, but kept the old (5-1/2 years, give or
take 3GB P4, 3GB RAM Dell) computer. That's changed a lot since it
showed up at the door, but my eyeballs were hurting from messing with
the 19" CRT, so I got a Dell Viewsonic 2408 WFP. What a revelation!

Instead of replacing the electric furnace in the shop, I'm thinking
very seriously of installing a wood stove.

We'll probably let the TV satellite go. That means we'll probably do
without TV, because the set is very old, cost what I consider a max
for a TV set ($297), and I am not going to pay for a conversion box to
bring in the local channel news. We watch little else, so that's not a
real loss. $750 for a TV set that we then pay $55 and rising per month
to keep active is silly when probably three days out of the week it
isn't turned on at all, and on most other days, it gets to work its
way through an hour of news programs. I can't find the time to sit in
front of the thing to be insulted by the intellegence level of
commercials (all of 'em, not just the political ads).

Buy fewer books. This 'un hurts, but we'd have to do that anyway, or
move to a bigger house.

I bought a new DSLR a few weeks ago. That's probably the last major
camera purchase for a year or so, even though it is tax deductible.
I'm not interested in working hard enough to need too many deductions,
anyway. Semi-retirement.

We'll plant a bigger vegetable garden, and my wife will can more. Of
course, most years we end up giving the kids half of what gets canned,
but Frances is farm raised, so gets itchy if she can't raise and can
and freeze, the same way I get itchy if I can't shoot photos and
write. Arthritis is starting to limit any realistic woodworking
chances these days. I've got enough local wood stored, mostly cherry
and oak, to last me at least two more years, but I'd sure love some
maple and birch and...

Cut the grass every other time it needs it...big damned sacrifice,
huh? I hate cutting grass. In fact, most of this year we paid a young
guy to come do it. He can whip the two acres out (minus shop, storage,
house, gardens) in about 1/3 the time it takes my wife and I.

The house is paid for. The cars are paid for. A few bucks in the bank.
A few bucks coming in each month that probably won't rise or fall.

Charlie Self

Oct 28, 2008, 11:23:53 AM10/28/08
On Oct 26, 2:20 am, FlexUP! wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 13:21:22 -0500, Ignoramus3071
>
> <ignoramus3...@NOSPAM.3071.invalid> wrote:
> >I now use both sides of toilet paper
>
> I took free yoga classes at our local library, until I was limber enough to
> lick my own butt.  The taste is nasty, but I save $42 per year in toilet
> paper.

And think of what you save on snacks.

mac davis

Oct 28, 2008, 12:08:57 PM10/28/08
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 00:05:43 GMT, Han <nob...@nospam.not> wrote:

>Our printers are attached to the upstairs desktop. Her XP laptop and my
>Vista laptop can easily print to the Brother 5040 monchrome laser or the
>Canon pixma whatever color inkjet. No problem, except running upstairs
>to change paper and collect the printout. Same for daughter and son and
>their Vista laptops. It took a while to get the machines to recognize
>the printers on the workgroup in my house ...

It's sort of funny.. Her HP laserjet had to be moved to my XP machine, but our
much older HP "print/scan/fax but not very well" printer works well with vista..

>> It appears that Micro$oft wants you to buy Office 07 as well as
>> Vista.
>That may be so, but I still like Office 2003 much better, and it works
>under Vista Home Basic just fine, so far. Knocking on wood ...

Same with us.. Seems like newer stuff is better sometimes, but usually just
takes more space and resources to do pretty much the same job..

>> Vista does not really like Office 03.. Go figure!
>Huh?

Every time she has a problem with Vista and office, support says "Vista is
designed to run Office 2007"..

Her printing problems only seem to be when she wants to print multi-page files
from Word or Excel..
She just prints them from one of our XP machines now..

OH.. now that we have 2 vista machines, one for home and one for our karaoke
gig, (our karaoke software kicks ass on Vista), Gateway is now offering a
"downgrade" to XP on new machines..

Charlie Self

Oct 28, 2008, 12:17:29 PM10/28/08

I'm trying to figure out where the media induced any panic, not to
mention trying to locate anyone who thinks stocks are synonomous with
prices at the grocery store, jobs or much of anything we deal with on
a day-to-day basis.

Around here, people are cutting back, many are losing their jobs--
lessee, maybe it's the media's fault that all the textile industries
that amount to anything are now in China, as are 98% of the furniture
factories, two industries that used to provide jobs in this area,
or...well, the list goes on, while people still shop at Sam's, CostCo,
Wal-Mart and similar places where the main suppliers are Chinese.

Maybe it's the media's fault that we've lost 750,000 jobs so far this
year, and the pace appears to be increasing.

It might be time to quit trying to slay the messenger and start paying
some attention to the message presented.

Message has been deleted

Lee Michaels

Oct 28, 2008, 12:34:56 PM10/28/08

"mac davis" wrote

> OH.. now that we have 2 vista machines, one for home and one for our
> karaoke
> gig, (our karaoke software kicks ass on Vista), Gateway is now offering a
> "downgrade" to XP on new machines..

Be warned.

I needed XP to run my software, so I "downgraded". The downgraded XP does
not run as well as the original XP.

J. Clarke

Oct 28, 2008, 12:46:15 PM10/28/08

Office 2007 has a very different user interface from previous
versions. I can't see where it's an improvement, just different. For
someone who doesn't know the previous versions it may be OK, but it's
a pain in the butt if you have to go back and forth--the difference in
user interface between older versions and 2007 is at least as great as
the difference between older versions and Open Office or Word Perfect.

Incidentally a Vista Business or higher license is also an XP license.
This is not a new policy--an XP license was also a Windows 2000
license.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Renata

Oct 28, 2008, 1:08:32 PM10/28/08
On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 17:31:46 -0500, "Swingman" <k...@nospam.com> wrote:

>"Pat Barber" wrote
>

>> I had some of your etouffee on Friday night....
>>
>> Very tasty and has now been added to the permanent list
>> of stuff to eat.
>>
>> Swingman wrote:
>>
>>> So, screw 'em ... it's back to my old coon ass ways.
>
>Glad you enjoyed it .... one of my favorites for a quick meal that tastes
>like it took all day to cook.

So, you willing to share a recipe?

Thanx
Renata

J. Clarke

Oct 28, 2008, 1:11:45 PM10/28/08

The "downgraded XP" is the same XP as any other XP.

Lee Michaels

Oct 28, 2008, 2:14:19 PM10/28/08

"J. Clarke" wrote

> Lee Michaels wrote:
>> "mac davis" wrote
>>>
>>> OH.. now that we have 2 vista machines, one for home and one for
>>> our
>>> karaoke
>>> gig, (our karaoke software kicks ass on Vista), Gateway is now
>>> offering a "downgrade" to XP on new machines..
>>>
>> Be warned.
>>
>> I needed XP to run my software, so I "downgraded". The downgraded
>> XP
>> does not run as well as the original XP.
>
> The "downgraded XP" is the same XP as any other XP.

I have run them side by side. The downgraded one is not the same.

J. Clarke

Oct 28, 2008, 2:44:38 PM10/28/08

Then you should find the person who did the downgrade for you and
demand that he fix his hosed up installation.

The procedure for "downgrading" is to install Vista, activate it, wipe
it, then take your XP CD, the same one that you used to install XP on
your other machine, and install it using the Vista serial number. The
only thing different between them is the serial number.

If you are seeing different behavior on the two machines, then either
someone installed a different version of XP on one or the settings are
different between them. If the former then wipe your downgrade and
reinstall using the same disk you used for your other machine, if the
latter then fix the settings.

Pat Barber

Oct 28, 2008, 3:14:28 PM10/28/08
The conversion box is "free" with the government
coupon. https://www.dtv2009.gov/

With a fairly cheap ($29) UHF antenna, you can get
remarkable results from almost any TV. The digital
pictures are quite sharp.

http://www.nab.org/AM/ASPCode/DTVStations/DTVStations.asp

In our case, the digital cut over was a major
improvement over cable. The picture quality is
really unbelievable, even on my older set in the
shop.

I have Direct TV and the digital tv is certainly
as good.

I should also point out that most if not all
stations will be broadcasting in HD over the air waves
and that is free, but that does require a HD tv.

My local marker(Wilmington,NC) was the very first in the
country to switch over completely.

Now you are back to where you started 40 years ago
with a antenna.

Too_Many_Tools

Oct 28, 2008, 3:23:40 PM10/28/08
On Oct 25, 4:02 pm, F. George McDuffee <gmcduf...@mcduffee-

associates.us> wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 08:57:15 -0700 (PDT), Too_Many_Tools
>
> <too_many_to...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >In tough times consumers tend to cut back...so where are you cutting
> >back, reprioritizing resources, whatever to make that dollar go
> >farther?
>
> >I am also posting this in the metal and wood working groups to hear
> >how those who pursue the hobby are allotting their resources.
>
> >Thanks
>
> >TMT
>
> ==========
> Most of the posters to both RCM and AMC tend to be prudent and
> frugal consumers [translastion real cheapscrews] so you may not
> see much change here.
>
> Unka' George [George McDuffee]
> He that will not apply new remedies,
> must expect new evils:
> for Time is the greatest innovator: and
> if Time, of course, alter things to the worse,
> and wisdom and counsel shall not alter them to the better,
> what shall be the end?
>
> Francis Bacon (1561-1626), English philosopher, essayist, statesman.
> Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).

I know that most posters to these groups are ..err...value oriented
folks..;<)...so I figured it made sense to ask the "experts".

TMT

Too_Many_Tools

Oct 28, 2008, 3:27:44 PM10/28/08
On Oct 25, 8:22 pm, jo4hn <jo...@mahalo.charter.net> wrote:

> Too_Many_Tools wrote:
> > In tough times consumers tend to cut back...so where are you cutting
> > back, reprioritizing resources, whatever to make that dollar go
> > farther?
>
> > I am also posting this in the metal and wood working groups to hear
> > how those who pursue the hobby are allotting their resources.
>
> > Thanks
>
> > TMT
>
> Query: Are you selling some of those excess tools you apparently have?
>         mahalo,
>         jo4hn

Nope...times are that TOUGH yet. ;<)

TMT

Pat Barber

Oct 28, 2008, 3:28:48 PM10/28/08
It ain't mine but:

EZ Etoufee ... from an old post back in 2002:

Take that same 8 Oz jar of Pace Picante Sauce (Hot ONLY!); add a can of
Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup (NO water); a stick of butter or
margarine; bring all to a low boil; (RESIST temptation to add anything
else!) add 2 lbs. of crawfish or shrimp and cook about five minutes until
crawfish/shrimp is done. Serve over rice.

Takes all of 15 minutes. Best "bachelor" etoufee you ever ate ... you'd
swear your Cajun momma made it.
<<

--
www.e-woodshop.net

This a remarkable dish that will feed 4 people easy.
It is spicy.

Too_Many_Tools

Oct 28, 2008, 3:28:52 PM10/28/08

And I should note that used machine supplies have other uses too...why
that used sandpaper works just fine in the bathroom. ;<)

TMT

It is loading more messages.