Blew Out/Burnt Up My Miter Saw - Suggestions Wanted

DerbyDad03

Jan 13, 2017, 11:24:41 AM1/13/17
I was using my 15 YO Delta miter saw last night when the end cap of the motor housing
blew off and landed about a foot from the saw.

http://i.imgur.com/3iiOh0i.jpg

The saw seemed to still be working so I made a few more cuts. That's when I noticed a
burning smell from the motor housing. That's also when I noticed a wavy washer (spring
washer?) on the floor of the shop. The washer fits into a recess in the center of the end cap
so that it would be positioned right on the bearing seen in the image.

Little did I know that the plastic end cap actually held the motor in place. Once ithe end cap
blew off, the motor appears to have shifted outward. I assume that the partially meshed
gears at the blade end of the motor is what caused the burning smell.

In any case, the saw has had a good (and rough) life, so I think I'd rather go with a replace
as opposed to a repair. I'd like to get a 10" sliding CMS with a laser guide. However, my
biggest issue is the size of my shop. I don't know that I have room for a sliding saw since
they are deeper than my current saw. As it is, the Delta just fits on a narrow workbench
that runs along the side of my shop. That side is the long dimension and there really is no
other place to put the saw.

I'm looking for suggestions as to what to buy. Are there sliding miters that aren't
as deep as others? I don't have a particular price point in mind other than I don't think
I need a $300+ saw for the types of projects I build.

If a sliding miter is out of the question due to the shop size limitations, who makes
a decent fixed 10" CMS?

As always, thanks for your expert advice.

Leon

Jan 13, 2017, 11:38:45 AM1/13/17
On 1/13/2017 10:24 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> I was using my 15 YO Delta miter saw last night when the end cap of the motor housing
> blew off and landed about a foot from the saw.

Luck you! I learned that my Delta MS, somewhere of that vintage, has
pot metal adjustment levers. Accidentally pushing the tilt lever the
wrong way to loosen resulted in a shorter lever. ;~(

Time for better brand saws. ;~)

> http://i.imgur.com/3iiOh0i.jpg
>
> The saw seemed to still be working so I made a few more cuts. That's when I noticed a
> burning smell from the motor housing. That's also when I noticed a wavy washer (spring
> washer?) on the floor of the shop. The washer fits into a recess in the center of the end cap
> so that it would be positioned right on the bearing seen in the image.
>
> Little did I know that the plastic end cap actually held the motor in place. Once ithe end cap
> blew off, the motor appears to have shifted outward. I assume that the partially meshed
> gears at the blade end of the motor is what caused the burning smell.
>
> In any case, the saw has had a good (and rough) life, so I think I'd rather go with a replace
> as opposed to a repair. I'd like to get a 10" sliding CMS with a laser guide. However, my
> biggest issue is the size of my shop. I don't know that I have room for a sliding saw since
> they are deeper than my current saw. As it is, the Delta just fits on a narrow workbench
> that runs along the side of my shop. That side is the long dimension and there really is no
> other place to put the saw.

Look at the articulating arm Bosch. Requires virtually no room on the
back side for a slider.

> I'm looking for suggestions as to what to buy. Are there sliding miters that aren't
> as deep as others? I don't have a particular price point in mind other than I don't think
> I need a $300+ saw for the types of projects I build.

OK, nix the Bosch. ;~(

> If a sliding miter is out of the question due to the shop size limitations, who makes
> a decent fixed 10" CMS?
>
> As always, thanks for your expert advice.

I would look at Makita for quality.

Spalted Walt

Jan 13, 2017, 12:41:31 PM1/13/17
DerbyDad03 <teama...@eznet.net> wrote:

> I'm looking for suggestions as to what to buy. Are there sliding miters that aren't
> as deep as others? I don't have a particular price point in mind other than I don't think
> I need a $300+ saw for the types of projects I build.

Bosch 10" SCMS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkPhX1sLC98

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G5R4E9A/

DerbyDad03

Jan 13, 2017, 12:52:04 PM1/13/17
$549! SWMBO knows I need a new saw, but she might balk at that price.

On the other hand, she does want built in bookshelves for the kitchen.
I could tell her I need the slider for the 1 x 2 face frames. ;-)

DerbyDad03

Jan 13, 2017, 12:58:36 PM1/13/17
On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 11:38:45 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
> On 1/13/2017 10:24 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> > I was using my 15 YO Delta miter saw last night when the end cap of the motor housing
> > blew off and landed about a foot from the saw.
>
> Luck you! I learned that my Delta MS, somewhere of that vintage, has
> pot metal adjustment levers. Accidentally pushing the tilt lever the
> wrong way to loosen resulted in a shorter lever. ;~(
>
> Time for better brand saws. ;~)

When I was building Derby cars I cut a lot of 3/4 steel rod and 1/2" steel
plates on the saw. I don't know if I bent the fence or if it had always
been that way but a few years ago I noticed that I could only align the
blade to one side of the fence or the other.

I found a local machine shop and for the price of coffee for the guys in
the tool area, they milled the face perfectly flat for me.

> > http://i.imgur.com/3iiOh0i.jpg
> >
> > The saw seemed to still be working so I made a few more cuts. That's when I noticed a
> > burning smell from the motor housing. That's also when I noticed a wavy washer (spring
> > washer?) on the floor of the shop. The washer fits into a recess in the center of the end cap
> > so that it would be positioned right on the bearing seen in the image.
> >
> > Little did I know that the plastic end cap actually held the motor in place. Once ithe end cap
> > blew off, the motor appears to have shifted outward. I assume that the partially meshed
> > gears at the blade end of the motor is what caused the burning smell.
> >
> > In any case, the saw has had a good (and rough) life, so I think I'd rather go with a replace
> > as opposed to a repair. I'd like to get a 10" sliding CMS with a laser guide. However, my
> > biggest issue is the size of my shop. I don't know that I have room for a sliding saw since
> > they are deeper than my current saw. As it is, the Delta just fits on a narrow workbench
> > that runs along the side of my shop. That side is the long dimension and there really is no
> > other place to put the saw.
>
> Look at the articulating arm Bosch. Requires virtually no room on the
> back side for a slider.
>

> > I'm looking for suggestions as to what to buy. Are there sliding miters that aren't
> > as deep as others? I don't have a particular price point in mind other than I don't think
> > I need a $300+ saw for the types of projects I build.
>
> OK, nix the Bosch. ;~(

$549, but it's gotten 2 votes already. Maybe I should go for it.

> > If a sliding miter is out of the question due to the shop size limitations, who makes
> > a decent fixed 10" CMS?
> >
> > As always, thanks for your expert advice.
>

> I would look at Makita for quality.

So, Bosch slider for space, Makita for quality?

Does that mean I'm giving up some quality to gain the sliding feature?

Leon

Jan 13, 2017, 1:36:26 PM1/13/17
On 1/13/2017 11:58 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 11:38:45 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
>> On 1/13/2017 10:24 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
>>> I was using my 15 YO Delta miter saw last night when the end cap of the motor housing
>>> blew off and landed about a foot from the saw.
>>
>> Luck you! I learned that my Delta MS, somewhere of that vintage, has
>> pot metal adjustment levers. Accidentally pushing the tilt lever the
>> wrong way to loosen resulted in a shorter lever. ;~(
>>
>> Time for better brand saws. ;~)
>
> When I was building Derby cars I cut a lot of 3/4 steel rod and 1/2" steel
> plates on the saw. I don't know if I bent the fence or if it had always
> been that way but a few years ago I noticed that I could only align the
> blade to one side of the fence or the other.
>
> I found a local machine shop and for the price of coffee for the guys in
> the tool area, they milled the face perfectly flat for me.

Mine was a 12 CMS SawBuck, with out the stand IIRC. There were all
kinds of things wrong with that saw that are more evident today than
back then. Today's saws seem to be much more refined. My guard
detractor broke at least 3 times, thank you JB Weld for the fix each
time. The detents filled with saw dust and would not click into
position. Horribly loud when coming to a stop. Really bad dust
collection and apparently a lot of pot metal.

>>> http://i.imgur.com/3iiOh0i.jpg
>>>
>>> The saw seemed to still be working so I made a few more cuts. That's when I noticed a
>>> burning smell from the motor housing. That's also when I noticed a wavy washer (spring
>>> washer?) on the floor of the shop. The washer fits into a recess in the center of the end cap
>>> so that it would be positioned right on the bearing seen in the image.
>>>
>>> Little did I know that the plastic end cap actually held the motor in place. Once ithe end cap
>>> blew off, the motor appears to have shifted outward. I assume that the partially meshed
>>> gears at the blade end of the motor is what caused the burning smell.
>>>
>>> In any case, the saw has had a good (and rough) life, so I think I'd rather go with a replace
>>> as opposed to a repair. I'd like to get a 10" sliding CMS with a laser guide. However, my
>>> biggest issue is the size of my shop. I don't know that I have room for a sliding saw since
>>> they are deeper than my current saw. As it is, the Delta just fits on a narrow workbench
>>> that runs along the side of my shop. That side is the long dimension and there really is no
>>> other place to put the saw.
>>
>> Look at the articulating arm Bosch. Requires virtually no room on the
>> back side for a slider.
>>

>>> I'm looking for suggestions as to what to buy. Are there sliding miters that aren't
>>> as deep as others? I don't have a particular price point in mind other than I don't think
>>> I need a $300+ saw for the types of projects I build.
>>
>> OK, nix the Bosch. ;~(
>
> $549, but it's gotten 2 votes already. Maybe I should go for it.

I understand it to be a great saw but not great on dust collection. BUT
IIRC only the Festool has great dust collection and that is certainly
not worth another $900 on top of that. ;~)

>>> If a sliding miter is out of the question due to the shop size limitations, who makes
>>> a decent fixed 10" CMS?
>>>
>>> As always, thanks for your expert advice.
>>

>> I would look at Makita for quality.
>
> So, Bosch slider for space, Makita for quality?
>
> Does that mean I'm giving up some quality to gain the sliding feature?

I doubt you would find much difference in quality, comparing like saws,
from Bosch and Makita. And Hitachi might be worth a look if you do not
mind the "Transformers" look. ;~)

And like anything else, brand does not guarantee the same quality on all
like products with in the brand.

Sonny

Jan 13, 2017, 1:41:58 PM1/13/17
On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 10:24:41 AM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> In any case, the saw has had a good (and rough) life, so I think I'd rather go with a replace
> as opposed to a repair. I'd like to get a 10" sliding CMS with a laser guide.

Maybe check this out... can't hurt - http://rochester.craigslist.org/tls/5956106303.html

He doesn't say what brand/model it is. I'd ask how it got broken!

If the saw IS new, there may be some warranty remaining and can get it repaired or replaced, if it's a reasonable name brand of saw in the first place.

Sonny

Leon

Jan 13, 2017, 1:42:58 PM1/13/17
And if you don't mind Refurbished, for $30 more than the Amazon Prime
price you can get the 12" version of the Bosch from CPO.

http://www.cpotools.com/factory-reconditioned-bosch-gcm12sd-rt-12-in--dual-bevel-glide-miter-saw/bshrgcm12sd-rt,default,pd.html

DerbyDad03

Jan 13, 2017, 2:02:43 PM1/13/17
I may check it out, but I don't need a 12" saw nor do I think it will fit
within the confines of my shop.

Thanks, though.

Leon

Jan 13, 2017, 2:02:56 PM1/13/17

DerbyDad03

Jan 13, 2017, 2:18:36 PM1/13/17
Thanks, but I certainly don't need a 12" saw, new blades, etc.

2 things I noticed about the Bosch 10" SCMS:

1 - No laser. I've lived without one for 15 years. Should that be a major
factor in my decision?

2 - 64 lbs! I often take my saw out to the picnic table when I need more
room or have a ton of cuts to make or if it's an outdoor project. 64lbs
is a lot of saw to lug around.

But damn, it sure looks like a nice saw and at 23" I don't think it's any
deeper than the Delta.

nailsh...@aol.com

Jan 13, 2017, 2:20:19 PM1/13/17
On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 10:24:41 AM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

> If a sliding miter is out of the question due to the shop size limitations, who makes
> a decent fixed 10" CMS?

Check out the DeWalt 713. I have used mine for about 20+ years on the job and it has made >>literally<< thousands of cuts on too many job sites to count. I need to replace it as last year the plastic carry handle broke off after the loading it in the truck for the umpteenth time.

It is a 15 amp saw which is plenty of power for an old fashioned thick bodied multitooth blade to zip through hardwood molding. I has a a blade brake, and the highest capacity for cutting material such as baseboards, etc. of any non sliding miter saw. The movable fences are high enough to be useful, and will nest most common crown moldings with no problem. Best of all for me, it has adjustable fine tuning detentes for common angles that are held by a heavy duty stainless plate. It does not lock into an aluminum frame for the miter angles, but into the stainless plate; the stainless plate will adjust to get your cuts to the last hair of perfect you can squeeze out of it. It also has an over-travel feature that will let you cut and bevel a couple of more degrees than your standard 45 degree miter. Good stuff when applying molding to unsquare or misshapen surfaces. The "D" style handle makes it easier to use all day than the old pistol grip style and it feels better in the hand to me.

Since the initial adjustment/fine tuning of the saw to meet unpainted crown molding joint standards (mine), it has never fallen out of adjustment after all the use.

I used the Makita 10" slider and it was a wonderful saw. However, sliders in my experience aren't as accurate as fixed miters. and if they are, they don't stay that way. It was too awkward to take to the job site, and moving it around changed the accuracy of the cuts which annoyed me to no end. If you are applying molding that is clear finished, you can't worry about the moldings having any kind of gaps. Needing the larger capacity on rare occasion, I bought the DeWalt 716 dual bevel that is the big brother of the 713. I got rid of the Makita. Due to the amount of real estate they consume to store and operate, I don't have any of my compadres that use sliders anymore on the job site. Some in their shops, but then only the 10" models. The 12" seems to have gone the way of the radial saw.

As always, YMMV.

Robert

Leon

Jan 13, 2017, 2:38:00 PM1/13/17
On 1/13/2017 1:18 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 1:42:58 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

>>> Bosch 10" SCMS:
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkPhX1sLC98
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G5R4E9A/
>>>

>> And if you don't mind Refurbished, for $30 more than the Amazon Prime
>> price you can get the 12" version of the Bosch from CPO.
>>
>> http://www.cpotools.com/factory-reconditioned-bosch-gcm12sd-rt-12-in--dual-bevel-glide-miter-saw/bshrgcm12sd-rt,default,pd.html
>
> Thanks, but I certainly don't need a 12" saw, new blades, etc.
>
> 2 things I noticed about the Bosch 10" SCMS:
>
> 1 - No laser. I've lived without one for 15 years. Should that be a major
> factor in my decision?

I think a laser would be good IF it works well. I have seen lasers that
help if you are blind but not accurate. I simply do not trust lasers
for accurate alignment.

> 2 - 64 lbs! I often take my saw out to the picnic table when I need more
> room or have a ton of cuts to make or if it's an outdoor project. 64lbs
> is a lot of saw to lug around.

Yes but that is why it apparently stays set up well.

> But damn, it sure looks like a nice saw and at 23" I don't think it's any
> deeper than the Delta.

We since we are helping you spend your money.....

This is the first stand that I think I would like.
http://www.portamate.com/pm-8000-portacube-str-miter-saw-work-station

And why I like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlPMqD2P6Hg

-MIKE-

Jan 13, 2017, 3:00:43 PM1/13/17
On 1/13/17 1:18 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

> 1 - No laser. I've lived without one for 15 years. Should that be a
> major factor in my decision?

It's one of those thing that, after you get it, you think, "How did I
ever live without this!?"

The two lasers on my Delta are easily adjustable and align to both sides
of the kerf.
When I adjust them to DNOA (dead-nuts-on-accurate) the feature is
probably the best part of the saw. I don't ever have to bring the blade
down to the line to double-check where the cut will be. I see the laser
on the line (or just adjacent to it, depending on preference), hit the
switch and pull the saw down. Perfect every time.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com
mi...@mikedrumsDOT.com

Unknown

Jan 13, 2017, 3:06:42 PM1/13/17
DerbyDad03 <teama...@eznet.net> wrote in

*snip*
> 1 - No laser. I've lived without one for 15 years. Should that be a
> major factor in my decision?

*snip*

No, I don't think so. My saw had a laser, it's a defocused piece of junk
now and doesn't even slow me down. I just check where the blade tooth hits
the board and make my cut. It's going to be the blade teeth making the cut
anyway, you can't get more precise feedback than that.

Puckdropper

DerbyDad03

Jan 13, 2017, 3:18:23 PM1/13/17
Nice stand. Now I'm up to $900 for that $300 saw I was looking for.

What else you got? ;-)

G. Ross

Jan 13, 2017, 3:34:51 PM1/13/17
When my old saw died, I got a reconditioned 12 inch Ridgid non slider.
I like the 12 incher for cutting larger timber. The laser on it is
useless to me. One downside: The aluminum fence bowed. Easy to fix.
I glued 1/2" boards on each side and took the fence off and trued it
on the jointer. came with a clamp to hold a wood stop for repeat cuts
of the same length. I really like the angle adjustment and it has a
good dust collection.
It never leaves the shop. It is mounted in a lowered section of the
long work table on the side of my shop so the wood to be cut lies on
the worktable and the saw.

--
GW Ross

DerbyDad03

Jan 13, 2017, 3:42:03 PM1/13/17
On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 12:41:31 PM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:
Maybe I'll buy the saw from Zoro.

$549 on Amazon
$945 from Zoro

https://www.zoro.com/bosch-miter-saw-120v-4800-rpm-10-in-dia-cm10gd/i/G6154233

Spalted Walt

Jan 13, 2017, 5:55:11 PM1/13/17
DerbyDad03 <teama...@eznet.net> wrote:

> > Bosch 10" SCMS:
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkPhX1sLC98
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G5R4E9A/
>
> Maybe I'll buy the saw from Zoro.
>
> $549 on Amazon

$549 at Lowes

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bosch-10-in-15-Amp-Bevel-Sliding-Compound-Miter-Saw/50124427

Doug Miller

Jan 13, 2017, 6:23:40 PM1/13/17
DerbyDad03 <teama...@eznet.net> wrote in news:c27f0b20-842f-4834-8a6c-
9d4e47...@googlegroups.com:

> I'm looking for suggestions as to what to buy. Are there sliding miters that aren't
> as deep as others? I don't have a particular price point in mind other than I don't think
> I need a $300+ saw for the types of projects I build.

Bosch has both 10" and 12" saws that use a heavy-duty double hinge, instead of sliding bars.
And I recently saw a 10" Hitachi that has the sliding bars in front, instead of behind.

DerbyDad03

Jan 13, 2017, 7:48:11 PM1/13/17
I was joking about the Zoro unit. $400 more for the same saw? How do they
expect to sell even a single unit?

I saw the Lowe's price. It's only available on line with delivery on 1/27. Amazon would be much quicker.

Ed Pawlowski

Jan 13, 2017, 8:47:13 PM1/13/17
On 1/13/2017 7:48 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

>>> $945 from Zoro
>>>
>>> https://www.zoro.com/bosch-miter-saw-120v-4800-rpm-10-in-dia-cm10gd/i/G6154233
>
> I was joking about the Zoro unit. $400 more for the same saw? How do they
> expect to sell even a single unit?
>
> I saw the Lowe's price. It's only available on line with delivery on 1/27. Amazon would be much quicker.

But Zoro says one day free shipping. Think of the added value. Its
cheap SOBs like you that put Sears out of business.

DerbyDad03

Jan 13, 2017, 11:22:34 PM1/13/17
You are right. I apologize to all Sears-Heads across the globe. As penance,
I'll buy 2 saws from Zoro and donate one to the crews that will dismantling
all the Sears stores over the next few years.

k...@notreal.com

Jan 13, 2017, 11:30:58 PM1/13/17
The Bosch has an articulated arm that doesn't take any space behind
and green's entry has the slides the opposite direction, also saving
the space behind.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/miter-saws-gcm12sd-33969-p/
http://festoolusa.com/power-tools/miter-saws/kapex-ks-120-sliding-compound-miter-saw-561287

k...@notreal.com

Jan 13, 2017, 11:32:49 PM1/13/17
On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 11:18:31 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
<teama...@eznet.net> wrote:

>On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 1:42:58 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

>> > Bosch 10" SCMS:
>> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkPhX1sLC98
>> >
>> > https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G5R4E9A/
>> >

>> And if you don't mind Refurbished, for $30 more than the Amazon Prime
>> price you can get the 12" version of the Bosch from CPO.
>>
>> http://www.cpotools.com/factory-reconditioned-bosch-gcm12sd-rt-12-in--dual-bevel-glide-miter-saw/bshrgcm12sd-rt,default,pd.html
>
>Thanks, but I certainly don't need a 12" saw, new blades, etc.
>
>2 things I noticed about the Bosch 10" SCMS:
>
>1 - No laser. I've lived without one for 15 years. Should that be a major
>factor in my decision?

You can buy lasers that are held on by the arbor bold.

DerbyDad03

Jan 14, 2017, 12:04:11 AM1/14/17
Welcome to the party! Both saws have already been suggested, although
others have suggested the 10" Bosch, not the 12" version.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/miter-saws-cm10gd-48431-p/

Leon

Jan 14, 2017, 11:50:21 AM1/14/17
On 1/13/2017 2:18 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

>>> But damn, it sure looks like a nice saw and at 23" I don't think it's any
>>> deeper than the Delta.
>>>
>> We since we are helping you spend your money.....
>>
>> This is the first stand that I think I would like.
>> http://www.portamate.com/pm-8000-portacube-str-miter-saw-work-station
>>
>> And why I like it.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlPMqD2P6Hg
>
> Nice stand. Now I'm up to $900 for that $300 saw I was looking for.
>
> What else you got? ;-)

ROTFL..Thank you for being a good sport on this. ;~)

Electric Comet

Jan 14, 2017, 1:24:14 PM1/14/17
On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 08:24:39 -0800 (PST)
DerbyDad03 <teama...@eznet.net> wrote:

> I was using my 15 YO Delta miter saw last night when the end cap of
> the motor housing blew off and landed about a foot from the saw.

get this

http://www.felderusa.com/us-us/products/combination-machines/combination-machine-new-cf-741-s-professional.html

plus you get some other tools with it

DerbyDad03

Jan 14, 2017, 4:23:12 PM1/14/17
After checking with Amazon about return shipping fees if I can't make
it fit in my shop, I ordered the Bosch CM10GD. It should be here on
Tuesday.

It took a couple of calls to get the complete answer, but if I call
customer service and tell that the product "does not meet my expectations",
as opposed to just clicking the "No longer needed" option on their website,
they will send me a prepaid return shipping label. On an item that size,
they will also arrange for pick up. Who knew? :-)

I'll let you all know how it works out. Thanks for the suggestions.

J. Clarke

Jan 15, 2017, 9:28:29 AM1/15/17
In article <0ad843b5-4310-4b8e-8d5a-2745afd33ec3
@googlegroups.com>, teama...@eznet.net says...

> On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 12:41:31 PM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:
> > DerbyDad03 <teama...@eznet.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm looking for suggestions as to what to buy. Are there sliding miters that aren't
> > > as deep as others? I don't have a particular price point in mind other than I don't think
> > > I need a $300+ saw for the types of projects I build.
> >
> $549! SWMBO knows I need a new saw, but she might balk at that price.
>
> On the other hand, she does want built in bookshelves for the kitchen.
> I could tell her I need the slider for the 1 x 2 face frames. ;-)

Show her a Kapex and let her talk you down to
the crummy old Bosch. But read the reviews very
carefully--that particular model seems to have
at one time had a few problems--don't know if
they've been resolved.

Leon

Jan 15, 2017, 10:30:57 AM1/15/17
On 1/15/2017 8:28 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
> In article <0ad843b5-4310-4b8e-8d5a-2745afd33ec3
> @googlegroups.com>, teama...@eznet.net says...

>>> Bosch 10" SCMS:
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkPhX1sLC98
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G5R4E9A/
>>
>> $549! SWMBO knows I need a new saw, but she might balk at that price.
>>
>> On the other hand, she does want built in bookshelves for the kitchen.
>> I could tell her I need the slider for the 1 x 2 face frames. ;-)
>
> Show her a Kapex and let her talk you down to
> the crummy old Bosch.

LOL, There you go!

But read the reviews very
> carefully--that particular model seems to have
> at one time had a few problems--don't know if
> they've been resolved.

I heard it was the first version that may have had issues. The 2.0/next
version apparently resolved those issues. I would imagine if you buy
one from a place that had decent inventory turnover you will get the
later version.

DerbyDad03

Jan 15, 2017, 11:24:57 AM1/15/17
Amazon?

Or:

How would I know which version I will have received from Amazon on 1/17? I
guess I could call Bosch once I have the serial number.

DerbyDad03

Jan 15, 2017, 11:30:21 AM1/15/17
When I was a teenager I had female friend with very strict parents. They had
a rule about "going steady". Strictly forbidden.

One day she came home from school and told her parents "Mom, Dad, umm...I'm
really sorry. I'm pregnant." After a few minutes of "What!"s and "Oh my God!"s
she laughed and said "I'm kidding! Bobby and I are just going steady."

"Oh, good. Thank God! Don't ever do that to us again."

:-)

Leon

Jan 15, 2017, 1:39:17 PM1/15/17
On 1/15/2017 10:30 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> On Sunday, January 15, 2017 at 9:28:29 AM UTC-5, J. Clarke wrote:
>> In article <0ad843b5-4310-4b8e-8d5a-2745afd33ec3
>> @googlegroups.com>, teama...@eznet.net says...

>>> $549! SWMBO knows I need a new saw, but she might balk at that price.
>>>
>>> On the other hand, she does want built in bookshelves for the kitchen.
>>> I could tell her I need the slider for the 1 x 2 face frames. ;-)
>>
>> Show her a Kapex and let her talk you down to
>> the crummy old Bosch. But read the reviews very
>> carefully--that particular model seems to have
>> at one time had a few problems--don't know if
>> they've been resolved.
>
> When I was a teenager I had female friend with very strict parents. They had
> a rule about "going steady". Strictly forbidden.

Um huh,... That is what she told YOU! LOL

Leon

Jan 15, 2017, 1:43:11 PM1/15/17
Amazon if stocked by Amazon, if from one of many suppliers, maybe not.

> Or:
>
> How would I know which version I will have received from Amazon on 1/17? I
> guess I could call Bosch once I have the serial number.

Yes, Bosch could tell you and it is likely that it is not going to be a
problem with the 10" model. That model is relatively new compared to
the 12" model. You remember the link I provided showing a refurbished
12" from CPO? That may be one of the early ones.

DerbyDad03

Jan 15, 2017, 4:15:44 PM1/15/17
Does "fulfilled by Amazon" mean "stocked by Amazon"?

I bought it with a prime account and am getting "guaranteed 2 day free
delivery". I don't see how they could make that claim unless they stocked it.

Of course, based I what I've been reading in the Sears thread, I probably
don't know anything about retail/on-line/any kind of business. I may be just
tilting at windmills. ;-)

> > Or:
> >
> > How would I know which version I will have received from Amazon on 1/17? I
> > guess I could call Bosch once I have the serial number.
> >
> Yes, Bosch could tell you and it is likely that it is not going to be a
> problem with the 10" model. That model is relatively new compared to
> the 12" model. You remember the link I provided showing a refurbished
> 12" from CPO? That may be one of the early ones.

We'll see...I'll call.

Ed Pawlowski

Jan 15, 2017, 4:35:40 PM1/15/17
On 1/15/2017 4:15 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

>> Amazon if stocked by Amazon, if from one of many suppliers, maybe not.
>
> Does "fulfilled by Amazon" mean "stocked by Amazon"?
>
> I bought it with a prime account and am getting "guaranteed 2 day free
> delivery". I don't see how they could make that claim unless they stocked it.

It means the merchandise is owned by the seller but is sitting in the
Amazon warehouse. Amazon will pack and ship the order to you, pay the
seller less a fee for shipping and handling that they agreed on.

Spalted Walt

Jan 15, 2017, 5:00:52 PM1/15/17
DerbyDad03 <teama...@eznet.net> wrote:

> > Amazon if stocked by Amazon, if from one of many suppliers, maybe not.
>
> Does "fulfilled by Amazon" mean "stocked by Amazon"?

This link https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G5R4E9A/

Says "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com."

"fulfilled by Amazon" is nowhere on the page.

Leon

Jan 15, 2017, 5:13:08 PM1/15/17
On 1/15/2017 3:15 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Snip

>>> Amazon?
>>
>> Amazon if stocked by Amazon, if from one of many suppliers, maybe not.
>
> Does "fulfilled by Amazon" mean "stocked by Amazon"?

I believe that is true.

> I bought it with a prime account and am getting "guaranteed 2 day free
> delivery". I don't see how they could make that claim unless they stocked it.

Probably not.

DerbyDad03

Jan 15, 2017, 6:07:17 PM1/15/17
On Sunday, January 15, 2017 at 5:00:52 PM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:
> DerbyDad03 <teama...@eznet.net> wrote:
>
> > > Amazon if stocked by Amazon, if from one of many suppliers, maybe not.
> >
> > Does "fulfilled by Amazon" mean "stocked by Amazon"?
>
> This link https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G5R4E9A/
>
> Says "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com."
>
> "fulfilled by Amazon" is nowhere on the page.

I called Amazon Customer Service to find out about return shipping fees. I was told by 3 different
CSR's that the order would be "fulfilled by Amazon", which is one of the criteria to qualify for
a pre-paid return shipping label.

Another criteria is the reason for the return. I was told by 2 reps that if I called them, as opposed
to notifying them via the website, and said that the item does meet my expectations, they would
issue a pre-paid return shipping level.

DerbyDad03

Jan 15, 2017, 6:08:38 PM1/15/17
> issue a pre-paid return shipping *level.

*label

k...@notreal.com

Jan 15, 2017, 10:48:55 PM1/15/17
According to the GOF, the Kapex has had its problems, too. I haven't
read the thread for a while but it seems that green wasn't doing
anything about it, either.

J. Clarke

Jan 16, 2017, 12:11:07 AM1/16/17
In article <vigo7cpgd63diqftfah1bq6mj4eipraf54@
4ax.com>, k...@notreal.com says...
So what? The objective is not to get the Kapex,
the objective is to get SWMBO to sign off on the
Bosch.

DerbyDad03

Jan 16, 2017, 10:08:50 AM1/16/17
But what if she says "Go ahead...get the Kapex." ;-)

Leon

Jan 16, 2017, 10:14:48 AM1/16/17
I would say get the Kapex! and maybe.....

http://festoolusa.com/power-tool-accessories/miter-saws/kapex-ug-mobile-miter-station-with-cart-and-extensions-497354

Now you are up to $2400. Do you have a dust extractor? LOL

Leon

Jan 16, 2017, 10:53:38 AM1/16/17
On 1/16/2017 9:08 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

> But what if she says "Go ahead...get the Kapex." ;-)

Did you ever put your hands on the Bosch saw that you are buying?

The articulating slide is ULTRA smooth compared to any of the regular
cylindrical rail slides.

DerbyDad03

Jan 16, 2017, 12:08:18 PM1/16/17
No. Lowes carries them for the same price but according to the customer
service rep that I chatted with "Due to the popularity of this item, it
is only available on-line." 1/27 would be the earliest I could get it.

The Amazon Bosch is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Of course, today
is the day I have off from work. All could do today is put the Delta out
in the shed in anticipation of the delivery. Right now I'm taking a lunch
break beforeI go back out and finish taking down the Christmas lights.

29° here. You?

Leon

Jan 16, 2017, 4:45:38 PM1/16/17
79 degrees F. Last weekend 8 days ago 19 degrees.

J. Clarke

Jan 16, 2017, 5:46:35 PM1/16/17
In article <9c7434a0-a32e-4866-a096-e9748276bc60
How bad can it be?

Unknown

Jan 16, 2017, 5:55:40 PM1/16/17
Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> wrote in

> 79 degrees F. Last weekend 8 days ago 19 degrees.

Do you mind keeping the warmth down there? I'm trying to enjoy winter, and
can't with this half-hearted cool junk we're getting with 30-40F and rain.

20F highs, 10F lows, just about perfect! It's not too cold, but not too
warm. The ground freezes, we get snow instead of freezing rain, and life
is so much better.

Puckdropper

k...@notreal.com

Jan 16, 2017, 7:29:29 PM1/16/17
On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 00:11:04 -0500, "J. Clarke"
Of course I was responding to:

k...@notreal.com

Jan 16, 2017, 7:30:40 PM1/16/17
Depends. Has she been looking at new cars? ;-)

k...@notreal.com

Jan 16, 2017, 8:29:41 PM1/16/17
On 16 Jan 2017 22:55:38 GMT, Puckdropper
<puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

>Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> wrote in
>

>> 79 degrees F. Last weekend 8 days ago 19 degrees.
>
>Do you mind keeping the warmth down there? I'm trying to enjoy winter, and
>can't with this half-hearted cool junk we're getting with 30-40F and rain.
>
>20F highs, 10F lows, just about perfect! It's not too cold, but not too
>warm. The ground freezes, we get snow instead of freezing rain, and life
>is so much better.

We're trying. You can keep that white crap (1/4" of ice last
weekend).

Unknown

Jan 16, 2017, 9:02:22 PM1/16/17
k...@notreal.com wrote in
I'd love to! But you'll have a hard time selling me 1/4" of ice instead
of 3" of snow!

I'd rather have the snow. At least you can push it out of the way. Ice
can only be removed by salt or heat.

k...@notreal.com

Jan 16, 2017, 9:26:58 PM1/16/17
On 17 Jan 2017 02:02:20 GMT, Puckdropper
<puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

>k...@notreal.com wrote in
>
>> On 16 Jan 2017 22:55:38 GMT, Puckdropper
>> <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>>>Do you mind keeping the warmth down there? I'm trying to enjoy
>>>winter, and can't with this half-hearted cool junk we're getting with
>>>30-40F and rain.
>>>
>>>20F highs, 10F lows, just about perfect! It's not too cold, but not
>>>too warm. The ground freezes, we get snow instead of freezing rain,
>>>and life is so much better.
>>
>> We're trying. You can keep that white crap (1/4" of ice last
>> weekend).
>
>I'd love to! But you'll have a hard time selling me 1/4" of ice instead
>of 3" of snow!
>
>I'd rather have the snow. At least you can push it out of the way. Ice
>can only be removed by salt or heat.

Well, either has to wait for heat here. There's nothing to push with
and the only salt, around, is in shakers. After the 2012
"Snowmageddon", the DOT did get some brine trucks but they're used
only on the Interstates and a few state highways.

DerbyDad03

Jan 16, 2017, 9:31:25 PM1/16/17
...and how long do you have to wait for that heat? Hours...maybe a day?

k...@notreal.com

Jan 16, 2017, 9:51:25 PM1/16/17
In 2012? Three days. We were without power for 30hrs. All for 2" of
snow (in our area). I understand 2010 was much worse.

Last weekend? 12 hours. We got lucky. The rain had all but stopped
before it got cold.

Markem

Jan 17, 2017, 1:12:50 PM1/17/17
On 17 Jan 2017 02:02:20 GMT, Puckdropper
<puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

>k...@notreal.com wrote in
>
>> On 16 Jan 2017 22:55:38 GMT, Puckdropper
>> <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>>>Do you mind keeping the warmth down there? I'm trying to enjoy
>>>winter, and can't with this half-hearted cool junk we're getting with
>>>30-40F and rain.
>>>
>>>20F highs, 10F lows, just about perfect! It's not too cold, but not
>>>too warm. The ground freezes, we get snow instead of freezing rain,
>>>and life is so much better.
>>
>> We're trying. You can keep that white crap (1/4" of ice last
>> weekend).
>
>I'd love to! But you'll have a hard time selling me 1/4" of ice instead
>of 3" of snow!
>
>I'd rather have the snow. At least you can push it out of the way. Ice
>can only be removed by salt or heat.
>
>Puckdropper

Have about a 60 foot limb off one of the oaks laying on the house
cause of ice. Dented the gutter, increased squirrel traffic on the
roof but no major holes.

Calling the tree guy tomorrow.

DerbyDad03

Jan 17, 2017, 9:22:50 PM1/17/17
On Monday, January 16, 2017 at 10:53:38 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
Yep, she's pretty smooth!

The saw arrived today. It sure is a lot more saw than the old Delta.

It needs a little fine tuning which I hope to get to over the next day
or so. I'll keep you guys informed.

DerbyDad03

Jan 17, 2017, 11:04:57 PM1/17/17
The Amazon price went up $50 yesterday or today. Good thing I ordered it when I did.

Leon

Jan 17, 2017, 11:42:37 PM1/17/17
Great! You got a slick saw. I'll personally be interested in hearing
you thoughts.

Unknown

Jan 18, 2017, 12:48:05 AM1/18/17

> The Amazon price went up $50 yesterday or today. Good thing I ordered
> it when I did.

I noticed at Lowe's the DW735 kept getting cheaper and cheaper and then I
bought one. The next week, the price went up!

I figure they lowered it until they sold one, then started all over again.

DerbyDad03

Jan 18, 2017, 6:46:11 AM1/18/17
On Wednesday, January 18, 2017 at 12:48:05 AM UTC-5, nor...@googlegroups.com wrote:
> DerbyDad03 <teama...@eznet.net> wrote in
>

> > The Amazon price went up $50 yesterday or today. Good thing I ordered
> > it when I did.
>
> I noticed at Lowe's the DW735 kept getting cheaper and cheaper and then I
> bought one. The next week, the price went up!
>
> I figure they lowered it until they sold one, then started all over again.

Lowes still has the Bosch for $549, at least for the time being. Earliest availability
is 2/1.

Ed Pawlowski

Jan 18, 2017, 9:32:42 AM1/18/17
On 1/18/2017 12:48 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
> DerbyDad03 <teama...@eznet.net> wrote in
>

>> The Amazon price went up $50 yesterday or today. Good thing I ordered
>> it when I did.
>
> I noticed at Lowe's the DW735 kept getting cheaper and cheaper and then I
> bought one. The next week, the price went up!
>
> I figure they lowered it until they sold one, then started all over again.
>
> Puckdropper

They must be using the same pricing model as the airlines. If they have
a lot of activity looking at a particular flight the price can go up.

DerbyDad03

Jan 21, 2017, 11:28:23 AM1/21/17
...and now it's back down to $549.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G5R4E9A/

Leon

Jan 21, 2017, 11:40:22 AM1/21/17
Every time I looked at Amazon it has been as low as $549.

So have you got any comments about the saw yet.

DerbyDad03

Jan 21, 2017, 2:32:47 PM1/21/17
I wanted to copy the link and send it to my son. When I checked Amazon
on the night of the 17th (the day I received the saw) and then again
on the 18th, it was $598. Surprised, I checked Lowes and it was still
$549 there. When my son replied to my email and exclaimed "$600!" I told
him that the price went up and that I paid $549. So, at least one other
person saw the $598 price. :-)

> So have you got any comments about the saw yet.

First, let's talk about the installation.

As I've mentioned, my shop is pretty small. I am also pretty small: 5'4".
This saw is pretty big. That is not a great combination. ;-)

Here are the 2 saws side by side. Note the height of the handles on both
saw. You will notice that the handles are basically at the same height.
This was not the case until last night.

http://i.imgur.com/P8kY2gm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/noUfb8a.jpg

When the old saw was in use, that 2-piece white counter top was a single
piece. The cabinet was as tall as the dresser and the old saw sat where
new saw sits, but was about 4" higher. When I needed to cut long boards,
I used those 2 supports you see to the right of the old saw in the 2nd
image. Inside the cabinet is a mini shop-vac for dust collection. The
white unit on the side of the saw is the remote control for the shop-vac.

(I should mention that that counter is not the main workbench. The
main workbench is perpendicular to that counter top, along a shorter wall
to the right.)

When I put the new saw on the original counter top, 2 things were apparent:

1 - The handle was way too high to be used comfortably by a 5'4" person.
2 - The saw was much wider and stuck out beyond the front of the counter
top.

Now, based on the fact that the old saw sat on the same plane as the
"extension table" things did not have to be perfectly level, but they
were very close. I had wooden shims under the dresser and cabinet to
get the counter level with the main workbench, etc. However, since the
new saw was too high, I needed to make some modifications.

First, I cut the cabinet down by about 4". Then I cut the counter top
so I had a section the same width as the new saw. I then installed leveling
legs on the dresser and cabinet so I could get everything dead nuts level.
Next, I slid the saw's counter top section forward so that it fully supported
the saw and screwed it to the top of the cabinet. Finally, since the cabinet
was now front-heavy and I got a little movement when the glide mechanism
was extended, I used a large L-bracket to secure the cabinet to a stud. Now everything is level and secure.

While the counter top on the dresser (the extension portion) is recessed
compared to the front of the saw, it is fine for boards up to about 7-8".
For wider boards, it can be slid away from the wall and clamped down to
provide support.

Now, for some comments on the saw itself.

Out of the box, the saw needed very little adjustment. The 90°-to-the-fence
needed a slight tweak, which was very easy. There are 4 screws recessed into
the miter scale. When you loosen these screws, you can rotate the table until
until the blade is square to the fence(s). On the Delta, you adjusted the
single piece fence which tended to move when you tightened the bolts.

90°-to-the-table was fine. I haven't played with any of the bevel features
other than to ensure that the saw does indeed tilt both right and left.

Having all controls upfront is nice and they all seem really smooth although
the tilt release handle is hard to operate. If you watch the video on Amazon,
at about 48 seconds you can see how much strength the presenter puts into
lifting the handle. OK, so maybe you can't see it, but I can since I own the
saw. ;-)

The miter gauge detent override could be useful when cutting angles that are
very close to a detent stop, causing the saw to want to pop into the detent.
There is a depth stop so that (supposedly) dados could be cut, but there
is far too much vertical play in the head assembly to get anything near a
smooth bottomed cut. Even the manual states (twice) that the groove cutting
feature is simply a "convenient alternative" when a table saw is not available.

Convenient Alternative <> Good Alternative

There is also a lock lever that locks the head assembly at a couple of
front-back intervals for "maximum capacity chop cuts in up-right material
and crown molding".

Miter cuts go up to 52° left, 60° right.

Dust collection is much, much better than the Delta, but that's all I have
to compare it too. Reviews say it is so-so. I will probably add a surround
like I had for my Delta just to keep the excess contained.

I'm not impressed with the Bosch 60 tooth blade that came with the saw. I
seem to get a lot of tear out at the back of the cut, but I haven't added a
zero clearance fence yet. Changing the blade requires the removal of a
"knob" (removed from the saw body but captured in flat bar so it is not a
loose piece) and the loosening of 2 screws. The Delta only required the removal
of 1 screw, so it's a bit more work to change the blade. The Bosch comes
with an allen wrench that is used for all adjustments and blade changing and
the saw has convenient place to store the tool on-board.

Even at 64 pounds, the saw is not that bad to carry. With the head assembly
set at 45° the carrying recesses on the base work really well. Although it's
heavier, it's actually easier to carry than the 53 pound Delta.

The sliding operation is very smooth, the cuts are square, the saw is quieter
than the Delta. There is about 1/8" of front-back play in the head assembly
when it is locked in the fixed position. I don't know if that is common to
all sliding saws or just the glide style or maybe just this particular saw.
The locking mechanism is nothing more than a flat bar that pivots into a
slot in one of the glide hinges. That's where all the play is. There does not
appear to be any adjustment that can be made to eliminate the play. It's no
biggy, it's just "different" than the Delta. I plan to call Bosch on Monday
just to check.

That's it for now. Once I get busy working on the bookcases that SWMBO wants,
I'll know more. If anyone has any specific questions or techniques that they
want me to try, let me know.

Leon

Jan 21, 2017, 3:36:22 PM1/21/17
On 1/21/2017 1:32 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Snip

>>> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G5R4E9A/
>>>

>> Every time I looked at Amazon it has been as low as $549.
>
> I wanted to copy the link and send it to my son. When I checked Amazon
> on the night of the 17th (the day I received the saw) and then again
> on the 18th, it was $598. Surprised, I checked Lowes and it was still
> $549 there. When my son replied to my email and exclaimed "$600!" I told
> him that the price went up and that I paid $549. So, at least one other
> person saw the $598 price. :-)

Remember that other retailers sell this saw on Amazon, MAYBE that got
mixed up. Right now I see $549 from Amazon Prime all the way up to a
whopping $1139. + $82 shipping. LOL

>> So have you got any comments about the saw yet.
>
> First, let's talk about the installation.
>
> As I've mentioned, my shop is pretty small. I am also pretty small: 5'4".
> This saw is pretty big. That is not a great combination. ;-)

FWIW the saw is not tiny and I was beginning to think that it was bigger
than I realized. I went to a new Lowe's yesterday, actually the very
first day the store was open, All of the sliding saws were enormous.
Oddly they had no Bosch miter saws.
I did see that but I is should stay put. ;~)

> The miter gauge detent override could be useful when cutting angles that are
> very close to a detent stop, causing the saw to want to pop into the detent.
> There is a depth stop so that (supposedly) dados could be cut, but there
> is far too much vertical play in the head assembly to get anything near a
> smooth bottomed cut. Even the manual states (twice) that the groove cutting
> feature is simply a "convenient alternative" when a table saw is not available.
>
> Convenient Alternative <> Good Alternative
>
> There is also a lock lever that locks the head assembly at a couple of
> front-back intervals for "maximum capacity chop cuts in up-right material
> and crown molding".
>
> Miter cuts go up to 52° left, 60° right.
>
> Dust collection is much, much better than the Delta, but that's all I have
> to compare it too. Reviews say it is so-so. I will probably add a surround
> like I had for my Delta just to keep the excess contained.
>
> I'm not impressed with the Bosch 60 tooth blade that came with the saw.

It is unfortunate that miter saws come with blades. It would be nice if
you could buy the saw with out.

> seem to get a lot of tear out at the back of the cut, but I haven't added a
> zero clearance fence yet. Changing the blade requires the removal of a
> "knob" (removed from the saw body but captured in flat bar so it is not a
> loose piece) and the loosening of 2 screws. The Delta only required the removal
> of 1 screw, so it's a bit more work to change the blade. The Bosch comes
> with an allen wrench that is used for all adjustments and blade changing and
> the saw has convenient place to store the tool on-board.
>
> Even at 64 pounds, the saw is not that bad to carry. With the head assembly
> set at 45° the carrying recesses on the base work really well. Although it's
> heavier, it's actually easier to carry than the 53 pound Delta.

Good to know.

> The sliding operation is very smooth, the cuts are square, the saw is quieter
> than the Delta. There is about 1/8" of front-back play in the head assembly
> when it is locked in the fixed position. I don't know if that is common to
> all sliding saws or just the glide style or maybe just this particular saw.
> The locking mechanism is nothing more than a flat bar that pivots into a
> slot in one of the glide hinges. That's where all the play is. There does not
> appear to be any adjustment that can be made to eliminate the play. It's no
> biggy, it's just "different" than the Delta. I plan to call Bosch on Monday
> just to check.
>
> That's it for now. Once I get busy working on the bookcases that SWMBO wants,
> I'll know more. If anyone has any specific questions or techniques that they
> want me to try, let me know.

I understand that there is a black piece in the middle of the hinges
that you can adjust to increase or decrease the amount of effort to
slide the saw.

Thank you!

Ed Pawlowski

Jan 21, 2017, 3:56:09 PM1/21/17
On 1/21/2017 2:32 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

> I'm not impressed with the Bosch 60 tooth blade that came with the saw. I
> seem to get a lot of tear out at the back of the cut, but I haven't added a
> zero clearance fence yet.

I was not impressed with the blade on my DeWalt either. A friend wanted
to cut quite a bit of laminate floor. I figured correctly it would
trash the blade so he would pay for a new one for use of the saw. When
done, the blade was horrid.

I was going to buy a new one but decided instead to send it to Ridge
Carbide for sharpening. It came back and WOW, what a difference. Much
better than new. Still using it.

Leon

Jan 21, 2017, 6:34:22 PM1/21/17
To be fair these saws were designed for rough carpentry and trim work by
the guys in the trades. I think the Kapex is probably the only one
designed for a wood worker that deals mostly with hardwoods. So the
stock blades are probably fine for those applications. I would put the
Bosch miter saw up there as being more suited to the hardwood woodworker.

I used to buy Systematic blades and directly from the guy that sharpened
my blades. He highly suggested sharpening a brand new blade before it
left the store. There was a big difference.

ariachris56

Jun 4, 2020, 10:44:05 AM6/4/20
replying to krw, ariachris56 wrote:
I hope you got your solution because all suggestions are quite good.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodworking/blew-out-burnt-up-my-miter-saw-suggestions-wanted-804750-.htm

Just Wondering

Jun 4, 2020, 6:02:49 PM6/4/20
On 6/4/2020 8:44 AM, ariachris56 wrote:
> replying to krw, ariachris56 wrote:

> I hope you got your solution because all suggestions are
> quite good.
"posted on January 13, 2017" DerbyDad03 must be very
patient if he's still looking for comments to something
he said 3 1/2 years ago.