What is it? Set 553

Rob H.

Jul 10, 2014, 3:46:34 AM7/10/14
I need some help with numbers 3231, 3233, and 3234 this week:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Larger images:

http://imgur.com/gallery/lCR31/new

Rob

shazzbat

Jul 10, 2014, 3:57:33 AM7/10/14

"Rob H." wrote in message news:lplgc...@drn.newsguy.com...
3230 is a six gallon jug. Probably for transferring milk to the urn.

Steve

Mark Brader

Jul 10, 2014, 6:14:13 AM7/10/14
3230 - milk churn?
--
Mark Brader | The way the Giants are playing this season, Newton
Toronto | would have been better off standing on the wings

Ted Schuerzinger

Jul 10, 2014, 8:04:43 AM7/10/14
On 10 Jul 2014 00:46:34 -0700, Rob H. wrote:

> I need some help with numbers 3231, 3233, and 3234 this week:

Sorry, but as always I'm lousy at these, and can't help with any of
those.

But surely 3230 is a bulk milk container, used for pouring into smaller
containers in the old days when milkmen didn't deliver one-quart glass
bottles? Watch me be wrong.

--
Ted S.
fedya at hughes dot net

Stormin Mormon

Jul 10, 2014, 8:32:13 AM7/10/14
Posting from my desk top PC in the living room, as always.

3229, tamping tool for a Jack and the Beanstalk
size tobacco pipe.
3230 milk can from a dairy.
3231, no clue.
3232, maybe for some kind of flower?
3233, no clue.
3234, would make a good seed planter.

--
.
Christopher A. Young

Stormin Mormon

Jul 10, 2014, 8:33:10 AM7/10/14
On 7/10/2014 8:04 AM, Ted Schuerzinger wrote:
> On 10 Jul 2014 00:46:34 -0700, Rob H. wrote:
>
>> I need some help with numbers 3231, 3233, and 3234 this week:
>
> Sorry, but as always I'm lousy at these, and can't help with any of
> those.
>
> But surely 3230 is a bulk milk container, used for pouring into smaller
> containers in the old days when milkmen didn't deliver one-quart glass
> bottles? Watch me be wrong.

Third person to comment on this item. I'd make a
guess, but don't want to milk it.

Leon

Jul 10, 2014, 8:43:33 AM7/10/14
3230 Milk transport jug

3231 Automatic brake adjustment lever that fits on the bottom between
the two brake shoes on the early to mid 70"s Chevrolet Vega and Monza,
Olds StafFire, Buick Skyhawk, and Pontiac Astre?

Can't tell you how many of these I have replaced. Replacement was
necessary as the unit would not collapse when installing new brake
shoes, it would only expand with each application of the parking brake
lever. Actually there was a tool to collapse the internal "one way"
piece but the tool was more expensive than the part and therefore more
time consuming.

shazzbat

Jul 10, 2014, 9:08:09 AM7/10/14

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message news:aKvvv.7312$Zt3...@fx02.iad...

On 7/10/2014 8:04 AM, Ted Schuerzinger wrote:
> On 10 Jul 2014 00:46:34 -0700, Rob H. wrote:
>
>> I need some help with numbers 3231, 3233, and 3234 this week:
>
> Sorry, but as always I'm lousy at these, and can't help with any of
> those.
>
> But surely 3230 is a bulk milk container, used for pouring into smaller
> containers in the old days when milkmen didn't deliver one-quart glass
> bottles? Watch me be wrong.

Third person to comment on this item. I'd make a
guess, but don't want to milk it.

Pull the udder one.

Steve

David B

Jul 10, 2014, 9:21:19 AM7/10/14
"shazzbat" <shaz...@spamlessness.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
I curd take a guess but I'd be whey off the mark.

--
David

Steve W.

Jul 10, 2014, 10:07:07 AM7/10/14
3229 -

3230 - Gas/Oil bucket

3231 - GM H platform (Vega, Astre, Monza etc.) rear brake adjuster strut.

3232 -

3234 - bolus tool?

--
Steve W.

G. Ross

Jul 10, 2014, 10:09:27 AM7/10/14
Rob H. wrote: > I need some help with numbers 3231, 3233, and 3234 this week: > http://55tools.blogspot.com/ > Larger images: > http://imgur.com/gallery/lCR31/new > Rob 3230 Never saw a milk container without a lid. Maybe for fueling early autos. 3234 For giving medication to a small animal. The plunger is for a pill or liquids could be poured into the funnel. GW Ross An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

Ralph

Jul 10, 2014, 11:37:43 AM7/10/14
On 7/10/2014 2:46 AM, Rob H. wrote:
3230 Cream can

---

Mike Marlow

Jul 10, 2014, 12:49:58 PM7/10/14
Oh... bull shit...

--

-Mike-
mmarlo...@windstream.net

Ted Schuerzinger

Jul 10, 2014, 4:31:25 PM7/10/14
On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 12:49:58 -0400, Mike Marlow wrote:

> Oh... bull shit...

That's some bull that gives milk. ;-)

Rob H.

Jul 10, 2014, 5:43:20 PM7/10/14
>http://55tools.blogspot.com/
>
>Larger images:
>
>http://imgur.com/gallery/lCR31/new
>

>3230 is a six gallon jug. Probably for transferring milk to the urn.
>
>Steve

I had a typo in my description which I changed earlier, it's actually a five
gallon container. And after doing some searching, it looks like it was probably
used for something other than milk.

Rob H.

Jul 10, 2014, 5:47:55 PM7/10/14

>3231 Automatic brake adjustment lever that fits on the bottom between
>the two brake shoes on the early to mid 70"s Chevrolet Vega and Monza,
>Olds StafFire, Buick Skyhawk, and Pontiac Astre?
>
>Can't tell you how many of these I have replaced. Replacement was
>necessary as the unit would not collapse when installing new brake
>shoes, it would only expand with each application of the parking brake
>lever. Actually there was a tool to collapse the internal "one way"
>piece but the tool was more expensive than the part and therefore more
>time consuming.

I haven't found an exact match yet on the web but did find some similar shaped
struts. Thanks

Rob H.

Jul 10, 2014, 5:55:11 PM7/10/14

>3230 - Gas/Oil bucket

I think this is probably correct, the closest that I could find online are the
cans on this page:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?
_nkw=Vintage%20Ellisco%205%20Gallon%20Geo%20D%20Ellis%20Sons%20Gas%20Cans&_itemI
d=350399304515

>3231 - GM H platform (Vega, Astre, Monza etc.) rear brake adjuster strut.

I'll take yours and Leon's word on this one.

>3234 - bolus tool?

Sounds possible, I'm still not sure about this item.

shazzbat

Jul 10, 2014, 6:09:04 PM7/10/14

"Ted Schuerzinger" wrote in message

On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 12:49:58 -0400, Mike Marlow wrote:

> Oh... bull shit...

That's some bull that gives milk. ;

I saw a maid milk a bull, fie, man, fie
I saw a maid milk a bull, who's the fool now
I saw a maid milk a bull, at every pull a bucket full
Thou hast well drunken, man, who's the fool now

A few lines from Martin said to his man, an old English folk song.

Steve

Message has been deleted

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Jul 10, 2014, 6:46:24 PM7/10/14
Rob H. <Rob_m...@newsguy.com> fired this volley in

> I had a typo in my description which I changed earlier, it's actually
> a five gallon container. And after doing some searching, it looks like
> it was probably used for something other than milk.

Gotta be for syrup, then. Figure it's the transfer container for maple
sugaring.

LLoyd

Leon

Jul 10, 2014, 8:52:09 PM7/10/14
You may not find a match, it was unique to the a few GM vehicles in the
70's maybe into the early 80's. I looked at a few nation auto parts
store online catalogs and while the description was named no part was
available. The part actually mounted just under the wheel cylinder.

Steve W.

Jul 11, 2014, 1:54:47 AM7/11/14
Rob H. wrote:
>> 3230 - Gas/Oil bucket
>

> I think this is probably correct, the closest that I could find online are the
> cans on this page:
>
> http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?
> _nkw=Vintage%20Ellisco%205%20Gallon%20Geo%20D%20Ellis%20Sons%20Gas%20Cans&_itemI
> d=350399304515
>

>> 3231 - GM H platform (Vega, Astre, Monza etc.) rear brake adjuster strut.
>

> I'll take yours and Leon's word on this one.

Changed a bunch of them myself. They "worked" but getting them to
retract when they rusted was almost impossible.

Here is a mitchell page showing them.

http://vintage.mitchell1.com/PClubData/chassis/dch73/V2D738081.pdf

>> 3234 - bolus tool?
>

> Sounds possible, I'm still not sure about this item.

--
Steve W.

Bruce Esquibel

Jul 11, 2014, 8:07:53 AM7/11/14
In rec.puzzles G. Ross <gw...@comwest.net> wrote:

> 3230 Never saw a milk container without a lid. Maybe for fueling
> early autos.

Yeah, I kind of agree with this comment, I don't think it's for milk.

Long, long, long time ago an aunt had a dairy farm up in Wisconsin and
besides a lid (needed to keep the flies out), the handle for them were on
either side of the opening, two, not one across like the one in the picture.

-bruce
b...@ripco.com

Stormin Mormon

Jul 11, 2014, 8:29:47 AM7/11/14
On 7/10/2014 9:08 AM, shazzbat wrote:

>> But surely 3230 is a bulk milk container, used for pouring into smaller
>> containers in the old days when milkmen didn't deliver one-quart glass
>> bottles? Watch me be wrong.
>>

> Third person to comment on this item. I'd make a
> guess, but don't want to milk it.
>
> Pull the udder one.
>
> Steve

You can cownt on me to kick the can down the road.

Stormin Mormon

Jul 11, 2014, 8:31:47 AM7/11/14
On 7/10/2014 4:31 PM, Ted Schuerzinger wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 12:49:58 -0400, Mike Marlow wrote:
>
>> Oh... bull shit...
>
> That's some bull that gives milk. ;-)

Hey, enough. Lets shitcan this now.

Stormin Mormon

Jul 11, 2014, 8:32:15 AM7/11/14
You can't be milking this up.....

Rob H.

Jul 11, 2014, 3:55:57 PM7/11/14

>>> 3231 - GM H platform (Vega, Astre, Monza etc.) rear brake adjuster strut.
>>

>> I'll take yours and Leon's word on this one.
>
>Changed a bunch of them myself. They "worked" but getting them to
>retract when they rusted was almost impossible.
>
>Here is a mitchell page showing them.
>
>http://vintage.mitchell1.com/PClubData/chassis/dch73/V2D738081.pdf

Thanks! That really nails this one down, I'll send your link to the owner.

Still no solid answers for the last two in this set but the rest have been
posted:

Rob

Steve W.

Jul 11, 2014, 4:39:47 PM7/11/14
Tell the owner of 3231 that if they have no use for it (or any others
they have or Vega parts in general) to go to http://forums.h-body.org/
and mention that they have them.

They are VERY RARE parts and are wanted by folks who restore the cars.

--
Steve W.

Rob H.

Jul 12, 2014, 6:17:30 AM7/12/14

>Tell the owner of 3231 that if they have no use for it (or any others
>they have or Vega parts in general) to go to http://forums.h-body.org/
>and mention that they have them.
>
>They are VERY RARE parts and are wanted by folks who restore the cars.

Ok, I'll definitely mention this to him, I'm almost certain he doesn't have a
use
for it.

John

Jul 13, 2014, 12:14:48 AM7/13/14
Rob H. wrote:
> I need some help with numbers 3231, 3233, and 3234 this week:
>
> Rob

3234 may be a tube for force feeding ducks or geese .

john

.

Stormin Mormon

Jul 13, 2014, 7:49:11 AM7/13/14
Sunday AM, and no answers yet? I keep looking for
answers in the subject line.

woodchucker

Jul 13, 2014, 2:00:28 PM7/13/14
On 7/10/2014 3:46 AM, Rob H. wrote:
> I need some help with numbers 3231, 3233, and 3234 this week:
>
> http://55tools.blogspot.com/
>
> Larger images:
>
> http://imgur.com/gallery/lCR31/new
>

> Rob

3234 might be for dusting flowers or roses...

--
Jeff

JAS

Jul 13, 2014, 2:35:38 PM7/13/14
My thoughts also.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Jul 13, 2014, 2:52:51 PM7/13/14
JAS <jasfor...@outlook.com> fired this volley in news:lpujhq$dg7$1@dont-
email.me:

>> 3234 might be for dusting flowers or roses...
>>
> My thoughts also.

Try to use it horizontally, or tilted upward. Won't work.

woodchucker

Jul 13, 2014, 4:21:26 PM7/13/14
Why not?
The container would be on top, not on bottom like shown.
The plunger is what sends the dust out. A little at a time.

--
Jeff

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Jul 13, 2014, 4:28:16 PM7/13/14
woodchucker <nos...@nospam.com> fired this volley in news:-LCdnSlAEOPUd1
_OnZ2dnUV...@ptd.net:

> Why not?

Check the angle on the filler funnel. You cannot use it more tilted up
than just a little above horizontal. If the 'hopper' is even halfway
filled, it will spill out at horizontal, and empty itself completely when
the tip is tilted above horizontal.

Roses (and most plants) need to be dusted on the bottoms of the leaves as
well as the tops.

Not that... It's designed to be used vertically.

Lloyd

woodchucker

Jul 13, 2014, 4:44:34 PM7/13/14
there is a cap that would contain it.

--
Jeff

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Jul 13, 2014, 5:07:57 PM7/13/14

> there is a cap that would contain it.

Then how could it feed, with the tip above horizontal?

Lloyd

woodchucker

Jul 13, 2014, 6:51:30 PM7/13/14
There is a pump handle... it pumps probably a mixture of air and the
powder.

Whatever it is , it appears to be a pump for distributing a small (fine)
amount of particulate ..

--
Jeff

Joe Gwinn

Jul 13, 2014, 9:48:01 PM7/13/14
In article <XnsA369AE55A21A8ll...@216.168.3.70>, Lloyd
Maybe it's for loading fireworks.

Joe Gwinn

David J. Hughes

Jul 13, 2014, 9:51:10 PM7/13/14
Coarse grained material or viscous fluid also possible.
Turn it so the tube is at an angle and the funnel is upright.
Leave rod in down position, remove funnel cap, fill funnel to level,
with the rod acting as a shut off valve, return funnel cover, raise rod
to allow contents of funnel to flow down tube.
Funnel acts as rough measure.

Rob H.

Jul 14, 2014, 6:27:42 PM7/14/14
In article <130720142148013621%joeg...@comcast.net>, Joe Gwinn says...
Text on it reads "PAT. JUNE. 24 .29", but that's not a Tuesday, so either it's
an incorrect date or not a U.S. patent. One of my friends did some research and
reported: "That date was a valid patent date for Greece, England, Germany,
France and Denmark. There were 262 patents issued on that date in those
countries combined, and I looked at those from England with no obvious hits."

The end of the plunger is tapered, a photo of it can be seen here:

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/126511-unknown-gun-powder-reloding-
funnel-t?in=1129

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Jul 14, 2014, 7:38:42 PM7/14/14

> Text on it reads "PAT. JUNE. 24 .29", but that's not a Tuesday, so
> either it's an incorrect date or not a U.S. patent. One of my friends
> did some research and reported: "That date was a valid patent date for
> Greece, England, Germany, France and Denmark. There were 262 patents
> issued on that date in those countries combined, and I looked at those
> from England with no obvious hits."
>
> The end of the plunger is tapered, a photo of it can be seen here:
>
> http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/126511-unknown-gun-powder-relod
> ing- funnel-t?in=1129

Rob, I don't like it for a powder loader, by virtue of the fact that it
has no means to limit the amount of the charge. Powder piston loaders
almost all have a means to meter out a fixed amount of powder per stroke.

That one seems to just admit powder more-or-less endlessly, without any
particular method of stopping it. The tip would ram it, but what would
stop the powder remaining in the tube from just 'drizzling out' when it
was removed from the sprue it was intended to fill?

No... being a pyro person, I'm not happy with that being _anything_ to
load powder into _anything_.
(could be wrong, though. wouldn't be the first time!)

LLoyd

Terry Coombs

Jul 14, 2014, 11:28:58 PM7/14/14
I think it's for medicating small animals . I know what a problem I have
giving our dog her meds <monthly flea pill , aspirin for her aches> . Drop
pill in funnel , insert tube into mouth , pull plunger and follow the pill
down .

--
Snag

Rob H.

Jul 16, 2014, 6:52:02 AM7/16/14
>Rob, I don't like it for a powder loader, by virtue of the fact that it
>has no means to limit the amount of the charge. Powder piston loaders
>almost all have a means to meter out a fixed amount of powder per stroke.
>
>That one seems to just admit powder more-or-less endlessly, without any
>particular method of stopping it. The tip would ram it, but what would
>stop the powder remaining in the tube from just 'drizzling out' when it
>was removed from the sprue it was intended to fill?
>
>No... being a pyro person, I'm not happy with that being _anything_ to
>load powder into _anything_.
> (could be wrong, though. wouldn't be the first time!)
>
>LLoyd

I agree that it's unlikely to be a powder loader, looks like this one will
remain
unsolved for a while.

Stormin Mormon

Jul 17, 2014, 7:21:15 AM7/17/14
On 7/13/2014 7:49 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

> Sunday AM, and no answers yet? I keep looking for
> answers in the subject line.

I went back and read the posts I have for this
group, and didn't find the answers any where.

David B

Jul 17, 2014, 7:27:36 AM7/17/14
"Stormin Mormon" <cayo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On 7/13/2014 7:49 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
> >
> > Sunday AM, and no answers yet? I keep looking for
> > answers in the subject line.
> >

> I went back and read the posts I have for this
> group, and didn't find the answers any where.

Not this again!!!
I just had a look and found them in about 20 seconds.

For future reference they are always half way down the same page (or just
add #answers to the URL)

--
David

Markem

Jul 17, 2014, 7:32:34 AM7/17/14
On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 07:21:15 -0400, Stormin Mormon
<cayo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On 7/13/2014 7:49 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
>>
>> Sunday AM, and no answers yet? I keep looking for
>> answers in the subject line.
>>

>I went back and read the posts I have for this
>group, and didn't find the answers any where.

Guess you will remain ignorant

Steve W.

Jul 17, 2014, 11:48:58 AM7/17/14
Don't feed the troll....

--
Steve W.

Stormin Mormon

Jul 17, 2014, 12:12:09 PM7/17/14
On 7/17/2014 11:48 AM, Steve W. wrote:
>> Guess you will remain ignorant
>
> Don't feed the troll....

Or, provide the requested information.

Stormin Mormon

Jul 17, 2014, 12:19:08 PM7/17/14
On 7/17/2014 7:32 AM, Markem wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 07:21:15 -0400, Stormin Mormon
>>>
>> I went back and read the posts I have for this
>> group, and didn't find the answers any where.
>
> Guess you will remain ignorant

Guess you will refuse to be kind, gracious,
and helpful?

Does it occur to anyone that when a person
repeatedly asks for information, the kind
thing to do is to provide the information?

What does that say about you bunch of cruel
and sarcastic information deniers? Did your
psychiatrist ever diagnose your as anal
retentive?

Markem

Jul 17, 2014, 5:42:11 PM7/17/14
On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 12:19:08 -0400, Stormin Mormon
<cayo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On 7/17/2014 7:32 AM, Markem wrote:
>> On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 07:21:15 -0400, Stormin Mormon
>>>>
>>> I went back and read the posts I have for this
>>> group, and didn't find the answers any where.
>>
>> Guess you will remain ignorant
>>

>Guess you will refuse to be kind, gracious,
>and helpful?
>
>Does it occur to anyone that when a person
>repeatedly asks for information, the kind
>thing to do is to provide the information?
>
>What does that say about you bunch of cruel
>and sarcastic information deniers? Did your
>psychiatrist ever diagnose your as anal
>retentive?

Last month I told you how to find the answer in plain english. Rob
does not put answer in the subject line, now others have found the
answers. Why can you not?

k...@attt.bizz

Jul 17, 2014, 7:20:09 PM7/17/14
On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 06:32:34 -0500, Markem <mark...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
You said a mouthful.

Richard Heathfield

Jul 17, 2014, 8:54:04 PM7/17/14
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Followups set.

> On 7/13/2014 7:49 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
>>
>> Sunday AM, and no answers yet? I keep looking for
>> answers in the subject line.
>>

> I went back and read the posts I have for this
> group, and didn't find the answers any where.

It sounds like you're looking in the wrong place.

The images for the current puzzle are posted on a Web page. Clearly, while
the puzzle is live, the answers won't appear on that page. But the Web page
contains a link to the previous week's puzzle. If you navigate to that page,
you can find the answers about half-way down the page. It's not surprising
that it's half-way down, because each half contains the images, which
dominate the space taken up by the page. The top half is the images without
the answers, and the bottom half is the images with the answers.

I have never, ever, ever bothered to look for the answers before, let alone
look at them. But I found them within a few seconds of deciding to look.

If you are really, really struggling to find the answers, simply click in
your address bar (in your browser), and change the URL by adding "#answers"
as in the following example:

http://55tools.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/set-553.html

becomes

http://55tools.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/set-553.html#answers

Hit your "Enter" or "Return" key, and the browser will jump to the answers.

I hope that is helpful to you. I hope it solves a long-time mystery for you.
I hope it is now clear to you how to find the answers.

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk