Gift Boxed Almost Finished

Leon

Dec 10, 2017, 7:19:13 PM12/10/17
I separated the tops from the bottoms and that made the grove around the
perimeter of the previous pictures of the boxes disappear.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/38934733442/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/38934733432/in/dateposted-public/

The box opened with the detail of how the twp parts fit together.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/27193916059/in/dateposted-public/

And with the first coat of varnish on the sides.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/25100172398/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/38934733102/in/dateposted-public/

By making the sides out of the same piece of wood and separating later
you naturally get the grain right on each side. A bonus is that the
boxes do not have to be perfectly square as the top and bottoms glue up
at the exact same angles. Less to worry about than if I had made the
tops and bottoms separately.

k...@notreal.com

Dec 10, 2017, 7:47:58 PM12/10/17
On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 18:19:05 -0600, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
wrote:

>I separated the tops from the bottoms and that made the grove around the
>perimeter of the previous pictures of the boxes disappear.
>
>https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/38934733442/in/dateposted-public/
>
>https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/38934733432/in/dateposted-public/
>
>The box opened with the detail of how the twp parts fit together.
>
>https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/27193916059/in/dateposted-public/
>
>And with the first coat of varnish on the sides.
>
>https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/25100172398/in/dateposted-public/
>
>https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/38934733102/in/dateposted-public/

Beautiful, as always.

>By making the sides out of the same piece of wood and separating later
>you naturally get the grain right on each side. A bonus is that the
>boxes do not have to be perfectly square as the top and bottoms glue up
>at the exact same angles. Less to worry about than if I had made the
>tops and bottoms separately.

When you made the lap joint, you lost 2x the width of the lap, right?
The grain is pretty straight but it doesn't look like there is a piece
missing, even. Am I missing something?

Michael

Dec 10, 2017, 7:48:31 PM12/10/17
Those look great!

Leon

Dec 11, 2017, 8:51:44 AM12/11/17
On 12/10/2017 6:47 PM, k...@notreal.com wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 18:19:05 -0600, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
> wrote:
>
>> I separated the tops from the bottoms and that made the grove around the
>> perimeter of the previous pictures of the boxes disappear.
>>
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/38934733442/in/dateposted-public/
>>
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/38934733432/in/dateposted-public/
>>
>> The box opened with the detail of how the twp parts fit together.
>>
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/27193916059/in/dateposted-public/
>>
>> And with the first coat of varnish on the sides.
>>
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/25100172398/in/dateposted-public/
>>
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/38934733102/in/dateposted-public/
>
> Beautiful, as always.

Thank you sir!

>> By making the sides out of the same piece of wood and separating later
>> you naturally get the grain right on each side. A bonus is that the
>> boxes do not have to be perfectly square as the top and bottoms glue up
>> at the exact same angles. Less to worry about than if I had made the
>> tops and bottoms separately.
>
> When you made the lap joint, you lost 2x the width of the lap, right?
> The grain is pretty straight but it doesn't look like there is a piece
> missing, even. Am I missing something?

You lose width of the one of the groves, 1/4", plus the section 1/8"
when the desperation cut is made. Basically the resulting bottom of the
top side piece is 3/8" closer to the bottom side piece.

Leon

Dec 11, 2017, 8:51:57 AM12/11/17
Thank you!

G Ross

Dec 11, 2017, 11:07:21 AM12/11/17
Beautiful, as always. Do you do the dados with your table saw or with
a router table?

--
G Ross

Leon

Dec 11, 2017, 2:23:53 PM12/11/17
Thank you.

With the TS, much faster. Believe it or not, I'm cutting approximately
140 feet of groves for the 11 boxes. AND I am custom fitting the top
grove width to receive the plywood panel and the 1/16" thick veneer and
custom fitting for the the bottom plywood panel

Leon

Dec 11, 2017, 2:27:47 PM12/11/17
Crap, not desperation, should be the separation cut.