dado sets and box joint sets

Electric Comet

Jan 16, 2017, 2:47:05 PM1/16/17

looking for a new dado set and found something i had not heard of before

freud has a box joint set

two blades

one formation gives you 3/8 inch and the other gives you 1/4 inch

would probably meet my needs but it is not cheap

may just go with a 6 inch dado set from hf with a 20 off coupon
anyone have an hf dado set

freud also has a dial a width dado set which is 260 dollars or more

k...@notreal.com

Jan 16, 2017, 8:14:52 PM1/16/17
On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 11:46:53 -0800, Electric Comet
<electri...@mail.invalid> wrote:

>looking for a new dado set and found something i had not heard of before
>
>freud has a box joint set
>
>two blades
>
>one formation gives you 3/8 inch and the other gives you 1/4 inch
>
>would probably meet my needs but it is not cheap
>
>may just go with a 6 inch dado set from hf with a 20 off coupon
>anyone have an hf dado set

All of the above (from Freud, or better). A dado set may give a
slightly different profile than a box joint set. Often dados have
glue reliefs at the edges (cutters slightly deeper than chippers).

Bill Leonhardt

Jan 17, 2017, 8:54:41 AM1/17/17
I used an 8" HF dado set for years with my old 10" Walker Turner contractor style TS. It only had a 1 HP motor but that never held it back. Anyway, I had no issues with the HF set except that the shims would get caught in the saw arbor threads and get deformed. Easy fix with magnetic shims.

My use was occasional and the quality of the dado bottom was not an issue or concern.

I have recently replace the WT saw with a Saw Stop cabinet saw. Love it. I also upgraded my dado set to the 8" set from Ridge Carbide. Day and night quality difference in the dado set and the quality of the cut.

Now, the Ridge set is easily 3 to 5 times more costly then the HF. You judge how often you will use this and whether it is worth all the $$s. For me, I wanted a quality set. For occasional use, the HF will probably be just fine.

BTW, I can't say enough good things about Ridge Carbide. Both their blades and their service.

Bill Leonhardt

Brewster

Jan 17, 2017, 10:28:24 AM1/17/17
I bought the Freud box joint set a few years back when they first became
widely available ($60 at casa.com).

Absolutely perfect fingre/box joints! I then "discovered" that with the
perfectly flat grind on the teeth (and both blades the exact same
diameter), it is perfect for grooves and other cuts that need square
shoulders and a flat pocket (half laps are where I put them to use, big
time).

Even with the FTG profile, there is no tearout on the shoulders as long
as a backer board is in use on the miter gauge.

Overall, probably my favorite blade second only to my WWIIs

-BR

Electric Comet

Jan 17, 2017, 11:35:10 AM1/17/17
On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 05:54:39 -0800 (PST)
Bill Leonhardt <holzl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now, the Ridge set is easily 3 to 5 times more costly then the HF.
> You judge how often you will use this and whether it is worth all the
> $$s. For me, I wanted a quality set. For occasional use, the HF
> will probably be just fine.

39 dollars with the 20 off so hard to pass up and will not get used
much

never heard of ridge carbide but will have a look

Electric Comet

Jan 18, 2017, 3:47:16 PM1/18/17
On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 08:28:21 -0700
Brewster <b...@spambegon.net> wrote:

> Absolutely perfect fingre/box joints! I then "discovered" that with
> the perfectly flat grind on the teeth (and both blades the exact same
> diameter), it is perfect for grooves and other cuts that need square
> shoulders and a flat pocket (half laps are where I put them to use,
> big time).

maybe i need to consider box joint set

k...@notreal.com

Jan 18, 2017, 8:40:01 PM1/18/17
That's why I bought a #1 grind WWII.

Leon

Jan 18, 2017, 9:24:05 PM1/18/17
I have 3 WWII reg kerf 40 tooth blades. I had a flat grind put on the
oldest one by Forrest several years ago.