center finder

Electric Comet

May 18, 2018, 1:14:14 PM5/18/18

finding the center for dowels and other round things is not that common
for me

but i am making a center finder to do so

the frame is wood but am deciding on either metal or plexi for the
cross piece

metal seems to be a better and lonfer lasting solution but maybe
there is a good reason to use plexi

no advantages of having a clear piece comes to mind

notbob

May 18, 2018, 3:44:27 PM5/18/18
On 2018-05-18, Electric Comet <electri...@mail.invalid> wrote:

> finding the center for dowels and other round things is not that common
> for me

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-combination-square-set-63688.html

Much like finding the 'shift' key? ;)

nb

dadiOH

May 18, 2018, 4:01:07 PM5/18/18

"notbob" <not...@nothome.com> wrote in message
That's not what he is talking about. Something with 2 dowels marked midway
between. Set over board edge, twist til a dowel touches each side, the mark
on the jig hows center.

Scott Lurndal

May 18, 2018, 4:08:09 PM5/18/18
Actually, ec has trouble expressing himself coherently - he/she/zit could
mean practically anything.

Centerfinders for locating the center axis of turning stock (round or square)
are quite common in the 'lathe' section of tool catalogs, or as notbot
pointed out, a center finder head for a combo square is designed for
the purpose.

notbob

May 18, 2018, 4:35:24 PM5/18/18
On 2018-05-18, Scott Lurndal <sc...@slp53.sl.home> wrote:

> "dadiOH" <xi...@verizon.net> writes:

>>Something with 2 dowels marked midway between. Set over board edge,
>>twist til a dowel touches each side, the mark on the jig hows
>>center.

> Actually, ec has trouble expressing himself coherently - he/she/zit could
> mean practically anything.

Apparently, "dadiOH" has a similar problem. ;)

nb

whit3rd

May 19, 2018, 4:10:11 AM5/19/18
On Friday, May 18, 2018 at 1:08:09 PM UTC-7, Scott Lurndal wrote:

> Centerfinders for locating the center axis of turning stock (round or square)
> are quite common in the 'lathe' section of tool catalogs, or as notbot
> pointed out, a center finder head for a combo square is designed for
> the purpose.

It's easy on a lathe; even a pencil sharpener always finds the center of
the pencil (but you gotta cut your way there).

dadiOH

May 19, 2018, 10:20:16 AM5/19/18

"Scott Lurndal" <sc...@slp53.sl.home> wrote in message
Yes, I know. I don't recall any using a cross piece though, other than the
rule of a combination square. It is true that OP could express himself more
clearly but what he said was sufficient to recall other things tnan the type
you mrntioned, assuming some familiarity with home made jigs and the ability
to think a bit non-conventionally.

Jack

May 23, 2018, 9:58:01 AM5/23/18
I made one for my lathe 40+ years ago. Simple to make, simple to use.
Finds the center of squares, not squares and round.

http://jbstein.com/Flick/CenterFinder1.jpg
http://jbstein.com/Flick/CenterFinder2.jpg

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Electric Comet

Jun 1, 2018, 2:14:18 PM6/1/18
On Wed, 23 May 2018 09:57:54 jbst...@comcast.net wrote:

> I made one for my lathe 40+ years ago. Simple to make, simple to use.
> Finds the center of squares, not squares and round.

gives me an idea
one side for round stock and flip it over for square

but usually square is not a problem however multipurpose tools are
best even if they see minimal use

Jack

Jun 2, 2018, 9:18:40 AM6/2/18
On 6/1/2018 2:14 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
> On Wed, 23 May 2018 09:57:54 jbst...@comcast.net wrote:
>
>> I made one for my lathe 40+ years ago. Simple to make, simple to use.
>> Finds the center of squares, not squares and round.
>
> gives me an idea
> one side for round stock and flip it over for square

I said that poorly. The one Pictured works for Squares, Not squares,
and rounds and not rounds. In other words, it finds the center for all
spindle turnings, regardless if square, round or in between. If you
look, the jig is a V that fit's rounds and squares:

http://jbstein.com/Flick/CenterFinder1.jpg

> but usually square is not a problem however multipurpose tools are
> best even if they see minimal use

Make the one pictured. It is not multipurpose, it is just a center
finder for lathe turnings. If you have an out of square "square, or out
of round, "round" and draw four lines approximately 90 degrees apart,
you will get a little square box directly in the center.