Motor of my radial arm saw won't start

jace

May 12, 2006, 6:25:10 PM5/12/06
I was stupidly cutting a warped piece of pine the other day and bound
up the blade of my Craftsman radial arm saw. Must not have gotten the
power off in time, because now it won't start. Didn't smell any smoke
or burning electrical wirings, but now there isn't even a hum, shudder,
anything when I try to turn it on. As I'm not well versed in
electrical motors, I was wondering if anyone has any idea what's wrong.
Switch? Motor windings? Start-up capacitor? Flux capacitor?
Luckily I was almost finished with the construction phase of my current
project, so I won't be needing to make cross cuts for a week or so.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Jason

Swingman

May 12, 2006, 6:39:28 PM5/12/06
"jace" wrote in message

Hopefully there is a thermal reset switch/button on the motor ... look for
one. They often get sticky with sawdust and grime and have to coaxed back
into action by exercising them.

Good luck.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Swingman

May 12, 2006, 6:41:14 PM5/12/06

"Swingman" wrote in message

> Hopefully there is a thermal reset switch/button on the motor ... look for
> one. They often get sticky with sawdust and grime and have to coaxed back
> into action by exercising them.
>
> Good luck.

Forgot to mention to check your circuit brk'r first.

zap

May 12, 2006, 6:57:08 PM5/12/06
My friend, I can't say about your saw, but I can tell you that my old
Craftsman RAS has a thermal reset button on the motor. When the motor
starts to overheat because the blade and motor bound on something,
stopping the motor from turning, or when the saw is so loaded down that
it is working too hard, The motor heats up, then the thermal switch
trips which shuts off the power to the motor and so saves the motor from
permanent damage. By waiting for a period of time for the motor to cool
off, you can then press the reset button and start all over again like
nothing happened. My thermal reset button is red, and in on the side
near the handle.

Let us know if that was the problem.

Zap

CW

May 12, 2006, 7:33:50 PM5/12/06
Many motors have built in thermal cutouts. If this one does, resetting it is
all that's needed. Should be on the motor housing somewhere. May be
recessed.

"jace" <maxy_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

William Pellenz Jr

Dec 12, 2017, 1:44:10 PM12/12/17
replying to CW, William Pellenz Jr wrote:
Thermal reset found at Arrowhead Electric Co. 12/2017 Kilixon thermal p/n
CGJ65EB $34.50 + $7.50s/h.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodworking/motor-of-my-radial-arm-saw-won-t-start-99619-.htm

DerbyDad03

Dec 12, 2017, 6:58:05 PM12/12/17
On Tuesday, December 12, 2017 at 1:44:10 PM UTC-5, William Pellenz Jr wrote:
> replying to CW, William Pellenz Jr wrote:
> Thermal reset found at Arrowhead Electric Co. 12/2017 Kilixon thermal p/n
> CGJ65EB $34.50 + $7.50s/h.

What does that cost in 2006 dollars?