best finish for a candle holder (flame resistant)

rlz

Jul 6, 2014, 5:42:13 PM7/6/14
I am building a candle holder and am curious what finish to use that is flame resistant. The wood won't be in direct contact with the candle, but I don't want to take any chances.

Bill

Jul 6, 2014, 6:22:54 PM7/6/14
rlz wrote:
> I am building a candle holder and am curious what finish to use that is flame resistant. The wood won't be in direct contact with the candle,

> but I don't want to take any chances.

Unless you actually light the candle, there should be little risk.

BenignBodger

Jul 6, 2014, 7:51:34 PM7/6/14
On 7/6/2014 5:42 PM, rlz wrote:
> I am building a candle holder and am curious what finish to use that is flame resistant. The wood won't be in direct contact with the candle, but I don't want to take any chances.

Typically, one uses a metal cup insert in the candle holder or at least
that is what I've always done. The finish on the wood really ceases to be
of any importance at that point unless somebody does something totally
insane with it.

jo4hn

Jul 7, 2014, 9:33:15 AM7/7/14
On 7/6/2014 2:42 PM, rlz wrote:
> I am building a candle holder and am curious what finish to use that is flame resistant. The wood won't be in direct contact with the candle, but I don't want to take any chances.

I had never heard of a wood candle holder catching fire from a lit
candle but I decided to spend a few minutes doing a bit of research.

The flashpoint of wood (hardwood firewood) in the absence of humidity is
something on the order of 350dF (higher depending upon whose paper you
read). Remember Fahrenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury)? That's the flashpoint
of paper (depending upon whose...). Paraffin wax burns at 390dF so I
suppose it's possible if improbable, that the holder could catch fire if
burning wax was dripped onto it.

mahalo,
jo4hn

rlz

Jul 8, 2014, 2:43:30 PM7/8/14
On Sunday, July 6, 2014 3:42:13 PM UTC-6, rlz wrote:
> I am building a candle holder and am curious what finish to use that is flame resistant. The wood won't be in direct contact with the candle, but I don't want to take any chances.

I guess the better question is there any wood finishes that are flammable, and should be avoided? I just don't want to put a finish on it that will easily catch on fire.

Bill

Jul 8, 2014, 4:47:13 PM7/8/14
Why not apply one of the finishes you are considering to a test piece,
and see how easy it is to catch it on fire? Combining that with common
sense should give you a solution, as long as you are not selling them.

Bill Sucks

Nov 5, 2022, 4:45:07 PM11/5/22
Wow Bill... what a super helpful answer! Problem solved.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodworking/best-finish-for-a-candle-holder-flame-resistant-776656-.htm

Markem618

Nov 5, 2022, 5:53:50 PM11/5/22
On Sat, 05 Nov 2022 20:45:03 +0000, Bill Sucks
<ab50f4ea15b08f98...@example.com> wrote:

>Wow Bill... what a super helpful answer! Problem solved.

So you being judgemental eight years on, maybe it was a sarcastic
remark.

Puckdropper

Nov 6, 2022, 6:06:47 PM11/6/22
Bill Sucks <ab50f4ea15b08f98...@example.com> wrote in

> Wow Bill... what a super helpful answer! Problem solved.

Wow, Bill's hit the bigtime now! Someone thought to create a new name for
a "diss post", haven't seen that in years.

Puckdropper

Bill

Nov 7, 2022, 12:47:13 AM11/7/22
I went and looked. It was (paraphrased) "Maybe put some finish on a
scrap piece and test it for flammability". Personally, I think it is a
reasonable answer to someone concerned about flammability...
I have no affiliation with "Bill Sucks". In fact, I find the name sort
of offensive... ; )

Brian Welch

Nov 14, 2022, 4:52:12 PM11/14/22
That response may have been to the earlier comment, attributed to Bill...