Making a router plate to mate Triton router to Wolfcraft Router table

PinInCalgary

Dec 21, 2009, 11:56:09 AM12/21/09
Anyone have a suggestion on what material to use to make a router plate that
would mate a Triton router to a Wolfrcraft Router table? I don't want to
drill the router table but unfortunately the plate that comes with the
router table doesn't line up with the Triton. Was going to dedicate teh
Triton router to table duty. (Have a Hitachi for handheld stuff.)

Thank you in advance,

dpb

Dec 21, 2009, 3:58:53 PM12/21/09

Phenolic or similar...there are many online vendors of both blank and
predrilled baseplates for many routers; Triton specifically I don't know
about, but google is your friend, undoubtedly.

Cheap route is to go visit local glass/plastics shop and they'll almost
always have cutoffs or broken pieces on the cheap that can be cut to suit.

Another great material for such stuff is the sink cutouts of the manmade
countertop material such a Corian, etc. There's generally a supply of
it from cabinet shops, etc., as well that is castoffs...

xparatrooper

Dec 21, 2009, 5:14:59 PM12/21/09
On Dec 21, 7:56 am, "PinInCalgary" <alf...@telusplanet.net> wrote:
> Anyone have a suggestion on what material to use to make a router plate that
> would mate a Triton router to a Wolfrcraft Router table? I don't want to

UHMW plastics are pretty nifty. You can usually get a kitchen cutting
board made from the stuff. I have used a couple old cutting boards
for several jigs where low friction is a desired aspect of the
design. It is usually that white milky looking stuff. It machines
very well... you can tap threads in it etc...

As far as a plate... you may have a challenge finding a cutting board
in a convenient thickness for your need. Up here in Alaska there are
a couple plastics suppliers that dabble in the UHMW stuff. There is a
lot of it being sold for sleigh/sled runners for hunters and Iditarod
types. Check your yellow pages, you may find a good source for off-
cuts.. not only for your mounting plate needs, but jigs in general.

Best of luck.

keit...@gmail.com

Dec 21, 2009, 5:25:10 PM12/21/09
If you want to pay for it, PeachTree Woodworking Supply sells UHMW
pieces. I bought a zero clearance table saw insert last week. Not
sure I like it though.

http://www.ptreeusa.com/uhmwproducts.htm

Lew Hodgett

Dec 21, 2009, 5:51:19 PM12/21/09
xparatrooper wrote:

> UHMW plastics are pretty nifty. You can usually get a kitchen
> cutting
> board made from the stuff.

Think you will find FDA approved cutting boards are polypropylene
rather than UHMWPE.

Although they look similar UHMWPE is far more expensive that polypro.

Another good choice for jigs is Delrin.

Easy to machine, slick as frozen snot on a door knob, and less
expensive than UHMWPE.

Lew

J. Clarke

Dec 21, 2009, 9:02:13 PM12/21/09
Lew Hodgett wrote:
> xparatrooper wrote:
>
>> UHMW plastics are pretty nifty. You can usually get a kitchen
>> cutting
>> board made from the stuff.
> Think you will find FDA approved cutting boards are polypropylene
> rather than UHMWPE.
>
> Although they look similar UHMWPE is far more expensive that polypro.

They can be either.

PinInCalgary

Dec 22, 2009, 2:38:45 PM12/22/09
Thank you to all those that replied. Will see what I can assemble during the
Christmas break.

Season's Greeting to everyone on Rec.Woodworking.

"PinInCalgary" <alf...@telusplanet.net> wrote in message

Just Wondering

Dec 22, 2009, 3:29:15 PM12/22/09