Rockwell sander parts/repair?

Brent Henze

Dec 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/21/97

Hi all,
I was recently given a box full of a disassembled Rockwell belt sander,
model 503, apparently circa 1970. The box came with a repair estimate that
the original owner had gotten (which convinced him not to repair the unit): a
cool $254 between parts and labor (mostly parts).
The biggest expense on the list was for the armature ($106.65). Is
this the sort of item that's available used? The rest of the parts aren't so
bad--two gears ($30), a cord, some bearings and seals. It'd be fun to put
this sander back together, but not for $200. Any ideas?
Also: does anyone know how much this unit sold for new? I'm a novice, but
I thought a decent sander cost $50 nowadays. Is it just that the price has
come down, or is a Rockwell model 503 the holy grail?

Thanks for any feedback!

brent henze
br...@psu.edu

David Eisenhauer

Dec 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/23/97

Ho, Grasshopper. Check your tobacco. Decent belt sanders blew past $50 about
a week or two after Ben flew the kite.

dte...@gmail.com

Dec 11, 2017, 6:31:22 PM12/11/17
They don't make them Sanders no more. I have three of them that I need to repair with parts. I work on my own Sanders they're so easy to work on.

DerbyDad03

Dec 11, 2017, 8:57:54 PM12/11/17
On Monday, December 11, 2017 at 6:31:22 PM UTC-5, dte...@gmail.com wrote:
> They don't make them Sanders no more.

Not surprising, considering the post is 20 years old.