Good bye

woodchucker

Mar 22, 2018, 6:36:43 PM3/22/18
Just thought I would say good bye to many of you that I have conversed
with over the years. First on the rec, then on the binaries for quite a
few years, then back to the rec.

I have been paying to keep my old email, and newsgroup service. They are
now discontinuing the newsgroups on Apr 1st. And I have been using this
less and less. There seems to be less worth lately, and I just can't
justify picking up a newsgroup only for the little use I have.

Thanks for putting up with my Phillips bulb rants, or whenever I got
ripped off.

There has been over the years some really good info, some comrade-re,
some really good arguments..

I'm on lumberjocks username woodchuckernj ... I don't do much on
there , but I do check in to see what people are building.

I have enjoyed our time together.
I'll be around until the 31st. Then I'm gone.

--
Jeff

hub...@ccanoemail.ca

Mar 22, 2018, 6:49:53 PM3/22/18
On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 18:36:34 -0400, woodchucker <nos...@nospam.com>
wrote:
Just in case you reconsider -
I've used a free usenet service < no binaries > since my
internet provider dropped news groups ~ 12 years ago -
and I have no complaints at all. news.aioe.org
My online email service - which I use as a back-up and
spam collector is also quite acceptable - gmx.com.
John T.

DerbyDad03

Mar 22, 2018, 6:51:25 PM3/22/18
As long as you have the internet, you have Google Groups. Free and available
on any device.

woodchucker

Mar 22, 2018, 6:52:28 PM3/22/18
Thanks, I may check that out.

--
Jeff

Markem

Mar 22, 2018, 6:56:39 PM3/22/18
On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 18:36:34 -0400, woodchucker <nos...@nospam.com>
wrote:

There is alway home owners hub

Just Wondering

Mar 22, 2018, 7:12:18 PM3/22/18
On 3/22/2018 4:36 PM, woodchucker wrote:
> Just thought I would say good bye to many of you that I have conversed
> with over the years.  First on the rec, then on the binaries for quite a
> few years, then back to the rec.
>
> I have been paying to keep my old email, and newsgroup service. They are
> now discontinuing the newsgroups on Apr 1st. And I have been using this
> less and less. There seems to be less worth lately, and I just can't
> justify picking up a newsgroup only for the little use I have.
>
> Thanks for putting up with my Phillips bulb rants, or whenever I got
> ripped off.
>
> There has been over the years some really good info, some comradere,
> some really good arguments..
>
> I'm on lumberjocks   username woodchuckernj  ... I don't do much on
> there , but I do check in to see what people are building.
>
> I have enjoyed our time together.
> I'll be around until the 31st. Then I'm gone.

I'm using http://usenet-news.net. It's fee based, but not by the month,
you buy non-expiring blocks of downloading. $5.00 will get you 10
gigabytes. (5gb for $3, 50gb for $12, 100gb for $15, 200gb for $22) If
you're not downloading binary files, 10gb could last you for years.

John McGaw

Mar 22, 2018, 7:20:53 PM3/22/18
Eternal September provides free non-binary newsgroup access and it works
pretty well. Did I mention that it is free?

https://www.eternal-september.org/

John Grossbohlin

Mar 22, 2018, 9:04:40 PM3/22/18
"woodchucker" wrote in message

>I have enjoyed our time together.
>I'll be around until the 31st. Then I'm gone.

>Jeff

With the options folks laid out you will be back so I'll not say goodbye.
;~)

All the best!

John

woodchucker

Mar 22, 2018, 9:07:08 PM3/22/18
Noooooooooooo Mr Bill Noooooooooooo

--
Jeff

woodchucker

Mar 22, 2018, 9:08:18 PM3/22/18
:-)

--
Jeff

Bill

Mar 22, 2018, 9:32:41 PM3/22/18
I recently switched over to astraweb.com, paying $10 for a 25GB block
w/no expiration date. I was concerned it might be slower than
newsguy.com, but it feels faster. $10.

Bill

Puckdropper

Mar 23, 2018, 12:24:49 AM3/23/18
Bill <WhoK...@newsguy.com> wrote in news:WOYsC.14380$qM7...@fx29.iad:

> I recently switched over to astraweb.com, paying $10 for a 25GB block
> w/no expiration date. I was concerned it might be slower than
> newsguy.com, but it feels faster. $10.
>
> Bill

I'm with Astraweb too. I gave them $25 for 90 GB 10 years ago, and still
have 85 GB left. You're not going to use up 25GB quickly at all. No
complaints about the service.

Puckdropper

Dr. Deb

Mar 23, 2018, 8:03:23 AM3/23/18
Like DerbyDad, I am went to Googe Groups after my ISP dropped newsgroups. I actually like it almost as well as the newsgroup server I was on.

nailsh...@aol.com

Mar 23, 2018, 10:08:00 AM3/23/18
On Friday, March 23, 2018 at 7:03:23 AM UTC-5, Dr. Deb wrote:

> Like DerbyDad, I am went to Googe Groups after my ISP dropped newsgroups. I actually like it almost as well as the newsgroup server I was on.

I have been using Google Groups since they bought Deja News! No telling how long ago that was, but has to be about 15 years. Never any problems, but like most newsgroups, no pics.

Since it is easier and more reliable to post a link to a product or a link to a picture anyway, that hasn't slowed anything down.

Oh, yeah... free to use, too.

Robert

Tim Daneliuk

Mar 23, 2018, 11:40:06 AM3/23/18
Also checkout eternal-september.org

Unquestionably Confused

Mar 23, 2018, 12:34:27 PM3/23/18
On 3/22/2018 11:24 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
> Bill <WhoK...@newsguy.com> wrote in news:WOYsC.14380$qM7...@fx29.iad:
>

>> I recently switched over to astraweb.com, paying $10 for a 25GB block
>> w/no expiration date. I was concerned it might be slower than
>> newsguy.com, but it feels faster. $10.
>>
>> Bill
>>

> I'm with Astraweb too. I gave them $25 for 90 GB 10 years ago, and still
> have 85 GB left. You're not going to use up 25GB quickly at all. No
> complaints about the service.

+1 I looked high and low after former provider did away with the plan I
was on ($2.99/mo for AYCE). Found Astraweb, bought 25 gb and never
looked back. Think I've found it down maybe twice in three years. Rock
solid and good retention. Found some postings about rail splitting
penned by some guy named Abraham Lincoln. ;)

Markem

Mar 23, 2018, 1:18:00 PM3/23/18
Giganews is also a possiblity

Electric Comet

Mar 26, 2018, 6:25:54 PM3/26/18
On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 18:36:34 -0400
woodchucker <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

thought this place was like a roach motel

> using this less and less. There seems to be less worth lately, and I

less worth
in here
preposterous

> Thanks for putting up with my Phillips bulb rants, or whenever I got

what about the phillips bulbs
the led or the flourescent

> I'm on lumberjocks username woodchuckernj ... I don't do much on

is that short for lumber jockey or is it a play on words for lumberjack
but more amateur

or is it a reference to someone that is a jock but not in sports but instead
lumber

or maybe they wear wooden jocks

or maybe lumberjack domain was taken already

or maybe it is a frenchish word but for english speakers

lumberjacque becomes lumberjock