stain now or later

BillinGA

Nov 25, 2015, 7:23:30 PM11/25/15
I made a set of bifold closet doors to replace louvered ones. My wife does not
like to trying to get the dust out of the slats and wanted something solid with a smooth surface. I stained the plywood panels , stiles, and rails before glue up. My thoughts were the stain ( brushed, not sprayed) would try to accumulate at the junction of panels and frame if I waited until after assembly. Show of hands..how many would stain after assembly? They turned out fine...just wondering.

Happy Thanksgiving to those who participate. All others, enjoy your Thursday.

krw

Nov 25, 2015, 8:43:48 PM11/25/15
On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 16:23:25 -0800 (PST), BillinGA <b.l....@att.net>
wrote:

>I made a set of bifold closet doors to replace louvered ones. My wife does not
>like to trying to get the dust out of the slats and wanted something solid with a smooth surface. I stained the plywood panels , stiles, and rails before glue up. My thoughts were the stain ( brushed, not sprayed) would try to accumulate at the junction of panels and frame if I waited until after assembly. Show of hands..how many would stain after assembly? They turned out fine...just wondering.

I "finish" before I make the final cuts. I'm no expert, though.

> Happy Thanksgiving to those who participate. All others, enjoy your Thursday.

Thank you. I'll do both. ;-)

Dr. Deb

Nov 25, 2015, 8:55:40 PM11/25/15

If you were going to stain, which is not a bad idea at all, you might as well tape the tenons and plug the mortises and put the finish on it, at least the first coat, before you do the glue up.

deb

J. Clarke

Nov 26, 2015, 6:36:20 AM11/26/15
In article <b7e9502c-eb86-4af5...@googlegroups.com>,
b.l....@att.net says...

> I made a set of bifold closet doors to replace louvered ones. My wife does not
> like to trying to get the dust out of the slats and wanted something solid with a smooth surface. I stained the plywood panels , stiles, and rails before glue up. My thoughts were the stain ( brushed, not sprayed) would try to accumulate at the junction of panels and frame if I waited until after assembly. Show of hands..how many would stain after assembly? They turned out fine...just wondering.
>
> Happy Thanksgiving to those who participate. All others, enjoy your Thursday.

Stain first. Wood moves. If you stain after and the frame expands
more than the panels you get visible unstained areas.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Nov 26, 2015, 7:49:09 AM11/26/15
Another reason is stain doesn'r stick well to glue (actually can't
penetrate glue to stain the wood), and glue doesn't stick well to
stain, so if you get any glue squease out on unstained wood, no matter
how quickly you wipe it off, the stain won't take as well there -
leaving a "scar" - and if you stain first and get squease out, the
glue comes of more easily as it can't get into the grain as well.

Leon

Nov 26, 2015, 8:44:58 AM11/26/15
I stain parts that will be difficult to stain after assembly, inset
corners and inset panels for example. I often leave the easier outer
surfaces unstained until after the clamps come off for good.

woodchucker

Nov 26, 2015, 9:49:25 AM11/26/15
I think Leon meant

I stain _before_; the parts that will be difficult to stain after assembly.

--
Jeff

Leon

Nov 26, 2015, 10:52:14 AM11/26/15
Was I not clear? ;~)

krw

Nov 26, 2015, 11:18:55 AM11/26/15
On Thu, 26 Nov 2015 09:49:19 -0500, woodchucker <nos...@nospam.com>
wrote:
No, he's right, though the language may be ambiguous to some. The
parts that will be difficult to stain after assembly, he stains before
assembly.

Leon

Nov 26, 2015, 11:25:41 AM11/26/15
If I had put a comma between stain and after it would be totally wrong.

So! I stain before assembly if parts are going to be difficult to
stain after assembly.

Thank you all for you skrew'nee. ;~)

-MIKE-

Nov 26, 2015, 12:42:24 PM11/26/15
The wrong punctuation, but at least you used some.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com
mi...@mikedrumsDOT.com

krw

Nov 26, 2015, 1:18:32 PM11/26/15
On Thu, 26 Nov 2015 11:42:19 -0600, -MIKE- <mi...@mikedrumsDOT.com>
wrote:

>>> No, he's right, though the language may be ambiguous to some. The
>>> parts that will be difficult to stain after assembly, he stains before
>>> assembly.
>>>

>> If I had put a comma between stain and after it would be totally wrong.
>>
>> So! I stain before assembly if parts are going to be difficult to
>> stain after assembly.
>>

>> Thank you all for you skrew'nee. ;~)
>
>The wrong punctuation, but at least you used some.

How so? His punctuation looked fine to me (though perhaps his comma
could have been a hyphen).

-MIKE-

Nov 26, 2015, 1:48:14 PM11/26/15
It was a joke. His sentence is substantially easier to read than
certain posters who refuse to use any punctuation at all.

krw

Nov 26, 2015, 1:52:00 PM11/26/15
On Thu, 26 Nov 2015 12:48:08 -0600, -MIKE- <mi...@mikedrumsDOT.com>
wrote:

>On 11/26/15 12:18 PM, krw wrote:
>> On Thu, 26 Nov 2015 11:42:19 -0600, -MIKE- <mi...@mikedrumsDOT.com>
>> wrote:

>>> The wrong punctuation, but at least you used some.
>>
>> How so? His punctuation looked fine to me (though perhaps his comma
>> could have been a hyphen).
>>

>It was a joke. His sentence is substantially easier to read than
>certain posters who refuse to use any punctuation at all.

I got the joke (it was something to do with cauls, right?) but thought
you had a punctuation point, too. ;-)

Unknown

Nov 26, 2015, 2:45:08 PM11/26/15
Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> wrote in

> Was I not clear? ;~)

Maybe you need to be water based?

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Electric Comet

Nov 30, 2015, 11:11:13 AM11/30/15
BillinGA <b.l....@att.net> wrote:

> panels and frame if I waited until after assembly. Show of hands..how
> many would stain after assembly? They turned out fine...just

will the stain alter the effect of gluing

i would check all the data on the stain and see if it would make a
difference with the glue adhesion

if it does not make a difference i would stain first

Scott Lurndal

Nov 30, 2015, 12:54:44 PM11/30/15

>On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 16:23:25 -0800 (PST)
>BillinGA <b.l....@att.net> wrote:
>
>> panels and frame if I waited until after assembly. Show of hands..how
>> many would stain after assembly? They turned out fine...just

I generally will finish the panels before assembly. This will
help prevent unfinished portions of the panel appearing when
exposed by changes in humidity.