Where/how to oil Porter Cable radial arm saw

stev...@hotmail.com

Nov 2, 2005, 11:47:19 PM11/2/05
I just inherited an old Porter Cable radial arm saw (Speedmatic 89 -
model K89) with my new house. Too heavy for the previous owner to haul
away with him. I replaced the wiring yesterday, popped on a new blade
and fired it up. It runs fine, but either it's inherently very noisy
or it could use an oiling/greasing. My problem is that I don't see
anywhere to oil or grease it! I searched extensively online and found
no literature at all for this particular saw. Does anyone have any
knowledge in this area? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
in advance.

Michael White

Nov 3, 2005, 12:38:13 AM11/3/05
stev...@hotmail.com wrote:

There's a couple of pictures listed under radial arm saws at
http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/Detail.asp?ID=650. Is this what yours looks
like? Definitely a different setup.

The fact that the motor spun up OK is a good sign - no need to worry about
the motor windings.

Most motors are sealed, which means you can't lubricate it. If you grab the
blade (with the power off, of course) and give it a spin, it'll probably do
one of three things. If it spins smoothly but slows to a halt quickly,
then your bearings are fine and there's probably not a lot you can do about
the noise. If it spins smoothly and takes a while to slow to a halt, then
your bearings have lost most of their grease, and are on their way out (but
still OK to use). If it doesn't spin smoothly and/or makes an awful
grinding noise, it's time to replace the bearings.

You can probably get the bearings replaced for $100 or so at an electric
motor shop, but I don't know your motor. Before you do that, make sure
there's no "fatal" problems with the entire radial arm saw, e.g. a bent
arm, slop in the bearings the arm rolls on, etc.... This could include
wear in non-adjustable parts or worn out parts that you can no longer
obtain.

You also might want to give Porter Cable a call. Most of these tool
companies are more than happy to help you out, and they may still have a
manual or two lying around, and possibly help with spare parts.

Good luck!
--
Michael White "To protect people from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools." -Herbert Spencer

Jim

Nov 3, 2005, 11:25:18 AM11/3/05

<stev...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Probably the bearings need to be greased. There is bound to be a way to
disassemble the motor to get at the bearings; after all, someone put it
together.
Jim

stev...@hotmail.com

Nov 3, 2005, 6:01:57 PM11/3/05
Thanks Michael! Wow - that speedmatic 88c is exactly what it looks
like. I guess I'll give it a whirl and see what happens. Thanks so
much for the great advice and information. BTW - If it was meant for
an 8" blade and I put a 7 1/4" blade on it, would there be any
repercussions?

Michael White

Nov 3, 2005, 10:27:08 PM11/3/05
stev...@hotmail.com wrote:

Better performance - the motor can produce more force because of the shorter
distance (torque = force x distance, with torque being constant). Sort of
like putting a bicycle into a lower gear. That's one of the nice things
about a radial arm saw - you can put on a smaller blade to get a little
more applied force. I have a 14" radial arm saw, but use a 10" dado and
12" blades for ripping and plywood. I only have one 14" blade.

If you buy a new blade for it, look for a blade that's meant for a radial
arm saw. These blades have a lower hook angle than most of the blades you
find. Typically it'll say it's for a radial arm saw (along with other saw
types).

Robert Galloway

Nov 5, 2005, 3:56:51 PM11/5/05
Something else to try in addition to the hand spinning is to take the
blade off and turn the motor on. If it runs quietly, the noise may be a
feature of the blade. Ever run this particular blade on any other saw?
Some blades with holes and laser cuts and so forth can make a fair
amount of whine or air noise or whatever.

bob g.

Robert Galloway

Nov 5, 2005, 4:03:09 PM11/5/05
You can get to the bearings. Mostly, if it's not old enough to have
sleeve bearings, you can't get any grease into the bearings. They might
have snap rings which will allow the seals to be removed. Modern ball
bearings are a fantastic bargain. Most sizes are available and cheap.
If you're down to the bones far enough to consider disassembly of the
bearings, you're in a good position to replace them. Mike the shaft and
the outer bearing race dia and thickness. Chances are somebody like
Precision Bearing has something spec'd for exactly your application. (As
someone else suggested, the best, first, direct approach is to contact
PC. My suggestion regarding Precision Bearing or similar is if the
approach to PC comes up dry.)

bob g.

Rick

Jun 25, 2016, 12:44:04 AM6/25/16
replying to stevesai, Rick wrote:
Help. I'm restoring a Porter Cable 10" Radial Arm Saw (RAS-10). I need a
blade guard and the anti-kickback pawl/rod. I appreciate any help. Thanks

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/woodworking/where-how-to-oil-porter-cable-radial-arm-saw-53228-.htm

Bob Villa

Jun 25, 2016, 9:09:49 AM6/25/16
RAS-10 must not be a complete model number...it doesn't get any hits!

John McCoy

Jun 25, 2016, 3:02:39 PM6/25/16
Bob Villa <pheeh...@gmail.com> wrote in
Considering the apparent illiteracy of Homeownershub posters,
since they seem unable to read the posting date of the posts
they respond to, there's a better than even chance Rick isn't
even talking about a radial arm saw.

(the post he's responding to is from 2005)

John

dadiOH

Jun 25, 2016, 3:17:08 PM6/25/16
He is, probably. Porter Cable used to make at least 2 RAS...one used a 7+"
blade, the other an 8". For whatever reason, they were referred to (by PC)
as "Speedmatic 10".

They were odd ball saws, looked nothing like current RAS, were made in the
30s and 40s. I don't think he has a prayer of finding parts, don't think I
would even want to.

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=2651

Bob Villa

Jun 25, 2016, 4:28:14 PM6/25/16
I'd take one...pretty cool!

krw

Jun 25, 2016, 8:32:12 PM6/25/16
On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 15:16:59 -0400, "dadiOH" <dad...@invalid.com>
wrote:
I wonder how many fingers that one has eaten?