Epoxy question 2

Gramps' shop

Dec 6, 2016, 11:28:43 PM12/6/16
West System or woodcraft System 3? Advantages of either?

dadiOH

Dec 7, 2016, 6:59:01 AM12/7/16

"Gramps' shop" <lawrence....@gmail.com> wrote in message
> West System or woodcraft System 3? Advantages of either?

Save some money.
http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html

Sonny

Dec 7, 2016, 7:51:22 AM12/7/16
On Tuesday, December 6, 2016 at 10:28:43 PM UTC-6, Gramps' shop wrote:
> West System or woodcraft System 3? Advantages of either?

Long ago, I had used a System 3 product (don't recall which one), but had to order it, can't find it locally. It was just as good as West System's G-Flex 650-8, that I, now, specifically use. I started using West Systems because I can get it locally ($30 per 8 oz box). *West's Marine - West is a local name, not the same West as the epoxy folks.

I need some, now, but West's Marine is out of it. Three days ago, I ordered 2 X 8 oz boxes from Dicsount Marine, $14.29 each box + $10 shipping.
http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/West_System_Epoxy-West_System_G-Flex_Epoxy_Resin.html?gclid=CPfb4s6I4tACFYiVfgodCoIBcg

As to Discount Marine: I can access the order status, via their website... says it's shipped. I kinna don't like that they haven't sent an email with a tracking number. No tracking number on their (website) status info, either.

+1 - I'll check out dadiOH"s link, for future reference.

Sonny

DerbyDad03

Dec 7, 2016, 8:34:53 AM12/7/16
On Wednesday, December 7, 2016 at 7:51:22 AM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 6, 2016 at 10:28:43 PM UTC-6, Gramps' shop wrote:
> > West System or woodcraft System 3? Advantages of either?
>
> Long ago, I had used a System 3 product (don't recall which one), but had to order it, can't find it locally. It was just as good as West System's G-Flex 650-8, that I, now, specifically use. I started using West Systems because I can get it locally ($30 per 8 oz box). *West's Marine - West is a local name, not the same West as the epoxy folks.

re: *West's Marine - West is a local name, not the same West as the
epoxy folks.

West's Marine or West Marine? (No 's)

West Marine is not a local name in that they have over 250 stores
in 41 states. Is your West's different than my West?

http://www.westmarine.com/store-finder?sitelinks=FindaStoreNearYou

Sonny

Dec 7, 2016, 9:18:41 AM12/7/16
I believe you are correct. My find-a-store zip code is 70506. I had assumed "my" West (Marine) was a local name. I wasn't aware of West Marine being a franchise.

I think, what I did, back then, was to search "Where to buy", on the West System's website, and just assumed my local West was local folks. I never thought to research them, as I was only concerned with buying some epoxy.

Sonny

dadiOH

Dec 7, 2016, 9:29:52 AM12/7/16

"Sonny" <cedar...@aol.com> wrote in message
They have good prices (compared to others) and are easy to buy from. Like
the others, they are resellers. There are only a couple of epoxy
manufacturers and they sell in bulk to resellers who may - or may not - then
add various ingredients to slightly modify the characteristics of the
material.

One caveat, they offer a couple of viscosities, thin and thick. The thin is
like most others, the thick is THICK...not so thick that it won't run but
too thick to saturate glass well. One time I bought a gallon of thick for a
special purpose, wish I hadn't; much easier to just use Cab-o-Sil to
thicken. For top coating already in place glass, the thick is fine.

DerbyDad03

Dec 7, 2016, 9:45:01 AM12/7/16
I used to buy mine at the West Marine near me. They are far from the least
expensive place to buy epoxy (or anything else for that matter) but they
are convenient and have the full compliment of West Systems fillers, pumps,
etc. One stop shopping.

I don't do much with epoxy any more, it was back in my Soap Box Derby days
that I used a bunch. I still have some left over stuff, but I'm sure it's
gone bad by now. I should grab the crate and go through it. Probably free
up some shelf space. ;-)

John McCoy

Dec 7, 2016, 10:30:28 AM12/7/16
"Gramps' shop" <lawrence....@gmail.com> wrote in news:e7bcf24e-
a434-4005-b88...@googlegroups.com:

> West System or woodcraft System 3? Advantages of either?

Short answer - use whatever's cheapest.

Longer answer - West System makes epoxies for marine
construction applications, where structural strength is
the important consideration. System Three does the same
(altho they also make epoxies for other purposes), as
does MAS, Raka, and several other companies (*).

For a structural application, I'd go with West or System
Three - I think they are equivalent, and I think their
catalyst chemistry (hardener - the resin is basically
the same for all vendors) is more sophisticated. That
said, a lot of people say they use the other brands with
no issues, and they are cheaper (myself, I use West,
mostly out of habit).

In your case, tho, filling a void isn't structural. The
real concern you have is being able to control the
appearance of the result. I do know that West System's
lightest hardener will be yellowish, so possibly some
other brand will give you a better color, if you need it.
Other than that, for your purposes whatever is easiest
to get and or cheapest should be fine.

John

(* System Three is a brand sold at many places, not just
at Woodcraft).

Electric Comet

Dec 8, 2016, 4:50:43 PM12/8/16
On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 20:28:40 -0800 (PST)
"Gramps' shop" <lawrence....@gmail.com> wrote:

> West System or woodcraft System 3? Advantages of either?

i found some generic on ebay and it is crystal clear and the price
was good even with shipping