corded drill

Electric Comet

Jul 15, 2016, 8:32:57 PM7/15/16
everyone by now probably has a battery powered drill and they are good

but i need some more power so i am looking for a corded hand held drill

what is the creme of the current crop

i think i should go half inch

nowa...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2016, 8:46:12 PM7/15/16
look for a Milwaukee Magnum. Make sure you get the side handle. Enough torque to do some serious damage if/when it catches.

Electric Comet

Jul 15, 2016, 8:58:41 PM7/15/16
On Fri, 15 Jul 2016 17:46:07 -0700 (PDT)
nowa...@gmail.com wrote:

> look for a Milwaukee Magnum. Make sure you get the side handle.
> Enough torque to do some serious damage if/when it catches.

yeah i learned how much torque they have once when drilling thru multiple
studs

definitely did not use the trigger lock after that

Meanie

Jul 15, 2016, 9:47:54 PM7/15/16
I can vouch for the Milwaukee. Mine nearly tore my arm off at one time
with the torque it kicks out.

Unknown

Jul 16, 2016, 4:35:04 AM7/16/16
Electric Comet <electri...@mail.invalid> wrote in news:nmbvbn$s1c$4
@dont-email.me:
Ode to a Corded Drill by Tom Watson. Copied from:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/rec.woodworking/hVLMes27ldM/mrqvyv-
QrkIJ

Ode to a Corded Drill

Of cordless drills I've got a few
'Bout five they are in number
They've chased their corded brethren out
To rusted dusty slumber

But came this morn I had a task
'Twas not within their compass
I'd fifty two inch holes to drill
This called for much more whoopass

So to their box I guilty stole
Flung up the shrieking lid
They lay inside though long denied
And in their coffin hid

Their tails were coiled 'round them tight
Their copper windings glistened
I saw they hungered for the light
Like babes just newly christened

I held one high against the sky
To read the ancient runes
'Milwaukee' read the word inscribed
Not seen for many moons

His tail was cracked and poorly patched
His body caked in grime
But 'twas a smile on his chuck
He knew it was his time

The old dog didn't ask for much
A dusting and some oil
He sighed at my familiar touch
He'd never known but toil

The shank of that great two inch bit
He took into his maw
I plugged him in and saw him grin
Those cordless watched in awe

As Old Milwaukee cut his holes
With wild electric glee
On and on with guts and brawn
So happy to be free

He never asked for quarter nay
Nor quarter was he givin'
He sang in that great light of day
Till all the holes he'd riven

And all too soon his task was done
His body warmed with labor
I laid him soft upon the bench
A moment one should savor

He'd labored well and I won't dwell
Upon his cordless brothers
Who hid their heads while he did work
T'would make them call their mothers

I won't give up my cordless drills
They've got their time and place
But so do drills with tails my friend
And so they need a space

Not locked away from light of day
In never ending darkness
But out in God's good working light
And ready for the harness

So now my ode is done my friends
I'll tell you what I've learned
Not soon again will that old drill
Have cause to feel he's spurned

Regards, Tom
Thomas J. Watson - Cabinetmaker
Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania
www.tjwcabinetmaker.com

bnw...@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2016, 5:20:09 AM7/16/16
Nicely done Tom, and quite apropos
Re the Milwaukee, learned the hard way not to wrap my thumb around the handle, but keep it parallel to my fingers. When the drill does kick out, it won't try to take my thumb with it (again).

J. Clarke

Jul 16, 2016, 8:31:40 AM7/16/16
In article <cfab0716-3414-46c1...@googlegroups.com>,
nowa...@gmail.com says...
FWIW, I needed to set some anchor ties a while back. I'd drilled that
slab before with a half-inch cordless hammer drill and it was slow
going. So this time I took a chance on a Harbor Fright SDS hammer and
it went through the concrete like a drill press through balsa. Probably
won't last too long but I doubt I'm going to drill a hundred more holes
in concrete in the rest of my life and it was cheaper than renting one,
so I'm happy.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Jul 16, 2016, 9:02:17 AM7/16/16
The big Makiita is hard to beat for the $.

John McCoy

Jul 16, 2016, 10:17:56 AM7/16/16
Meanie <meani...@gmail.com> wrote in news:nmc3o8$79j$1...@dont-email.me:
Pfaugh. If you really want a drill with power, forget the
Magnum and get one of Milwaukee's compact drills, like the
1660.

(you _do not_ hand-hold those drills when doing serious work.
You thread a length of 3/4 pipe (*) into the hole provided on
the drill body, and make sure it's securely braced against
some convenient structure before you start.)

(* on the railroad, we always called a length of pipe used
for leverage a "swedish extension". No idea why.)

John

Bob Villa

Jul 16, 2016, 10:52:48 AM7/16/16
When I was a kid and noticed something was out-of-square, my gramps would say it was probably a Swedish carpenter. Not sure why they got a bad rap?

Unknown

Jul 16, 2016, 11:36:13 AM7/16/16
bnw...@gmail.com wrote in
Just wanted to make sure proper credit goes where it belongs. Tom Watson
wrote "Ode to a Corded Drill" and I just reposted it.

Puckdropper

k...@attt.bizz

Jul 16, 2016, 11:45:45 AM7/16/16
My parents grew up in the UP of Michigan and Minnesota. Swedes were
to that area what Polacks were to Chicago. The Poles bad rap lasted a
bit longer.

Larry Blanchard

Jul 16, 2016, 12:07:42 PM7/16/16
On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 15:36:11 +0000, Puckdropper wrote:

> Just wanted to make sure proper credit goes where it belongs. Tom
> Watson wrote "Ode to a Corded Drill" and I just reposted it.

And a good job he did!

carrying a cross.

Swingman

Jul 16, 2016, 2:29:32 PM7/16/16
On 7/16/2016 10:36 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
> Just wanted to make sure proper credit goes where it belongs. Tom Watson
> wrote "Ode to a Corded Drill" and I just reposted it.

Tom is still occasionally writing those pithy gems on his FaceBook page,
for those who want to get back in contact via that particular venue.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Bob La Londe

Jul 16, 2016, 7:35:07 PM7/16/16
"Electric Comet" <electri...@mail.invalid> wrote in message
> [...]
I have mostly Milwaukee corded and cordless drills.

Milwakee
Hole Hawg
1" Spline Drive
D-handle right angle
D-handle long reach (same as right angle)
Several pistol grips
2 18V Cordless drill/screw/hammer

I do have a few other corded drills for in between stuff.
SDS plus drive Makita
Pistol Grip Makita
Pistol Grip Rigid

They are all decent, and none of them were on the discount shelf.

For a drill I'd probably go Milwaukee as my first choice, just like Skill is
my first choice for a worm drive saw.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Jul 16, 2016, 9:40:37 PM7/16/16
On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 07:52:44 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa
<pheeh...@gmail.com> wrote:

Up here it was a "dutchman"

Electric Comet

Jul 17, 2016, 5:09:23 PM7/17/16
On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 16:34:49 -0700
"Bob La Londe" <no...@none.com99> wrote:

> I have mostly Milwaukee corded and cordless drills.
>
> Milwakee
> Hole Hawg
> 1" Spline Drive
> D-handle right angle
> D-handle long reach (same as right angle)
> Several pistol grips
> 2 18V Cordless drill/screw/hammer
>
> I do have a few other corded drills for in between stuff.
> SDS plus drive Makita
> Pistol Grip Makita
> Pistol Grip Rigid
>

> They are all decent, and none of them were on the discount shelf.
>
> For a drill I'd probably go Milwaukee as my first choice, just like
> Skill is my first choice for a worm drive saw.

will keep my eyes open for one milwaukee or makita

Casper

Jul 21, 2016, 10:32:36 AM7/21/16
Electric Comet <electri...@mail.invalid> was heard to mutter:
I have learned to always keep one corded drill around. That said, I
couple years ago I was looking for a decent no-frills corded drill but
wasn't finding anything in my cheap price range. A friend found a
'going-out-of-business' sale and picked up a DeWalt D21002 that he
gifted me for xmas. It's a nice drill but I cannot use it for what I
had intended as it does not have a trigger lock. It still sits new in
the box. My friend was sorry. He just assumed they all had trigger
locks these days and didn't think to look.

Anyway, I have a fair amount of DeWalt stuff (and other brands) and
they seem to work really well for me.

Electric Comet

Jul 21, 2016, 11:59:50 AM7/21/16
On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 10:32:17 -0400
Casper <cas...@ghostmail.cc> wrote:

> Anyway, I have a fair amount of DeWalt stuff (and other brands) and
> they seem to work really well for me.

my dewalt experience has been limited but not impressed with it

maybe they are better now but once burned twice shy or something like
that

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Jul 21, 2016, 8:29:03 PM7/21/16
Likely worse now than previously.