Builiding a shelf? Check out the Sagulator!

DerbyDad03

Aug 13, 2017, 6:30:25 PM8/13/17
Kind of fun, although far too many choices of materials to choose from.
20 species of pine, 17 species of oak, etc.

Does anybody know if Home Depot Melamine panels are made from M1, M2 or M3 particle board? The Sagulator wants to know. ;-)

http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator/

G Ross

Aug 13, 2017, 7:02:30 PM8/13/17
What kind of wood is Ramin?

--
GW Ross

k...@notreal.com

Aug 13, 2017, 7:16:11 PM8/13/17

Ed Pawlowski

Aug 13, 2017, 7:20:42 PM8/13/17
Lowes says theirs is industrial grade and that seems to be M2 or M3
Boise Cascade says their industrial grade is 45# density. Not much else
available

DerbyDad03

Aug 13, 2017, 9:45:48 PM8/13/17
wikipedia says it's a hardwood, but it looks pretty soft to me.

http://mymenupal.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/SCChickenRamenNoodleSoup3_WEB.jpg

Oh...wait...never mind. ;-)

DerbyDad03

Aug 13, 2017, 9:47:25 PM8/13/17
(Thanks...but I wasn't really asking. Seriously, thanks for checking)

k...@notreal.com

Aug 13, 2017, 10:00:22 PM8/13/17
On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 18:45:43 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
<teama...@eznet.net> wrote:

>On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 7:16:11 PM UTC-4, k...@notreal.com wrote:

>> >What kind of wood is Ramin?
>>

>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonystylus
>
>wikipedia says it's a hardwood, but it looks pretty soft to me.

"Hardwood" doesn't describe a wood's physical properties, rather a
comment on the tree's sexual orientation. ;-)

Softwood ~ conifer. Hardwood /= Softwood.
I was going there with my previous post but hit the wrong key and sent
it instead. ;-)

"It's not a son of a beech or a son of a birch but its mother was the
best piece of ash..."

Leon

Aug 14, 2017, 5:51:46 PM8/14/17

DerbyDad03

Aug 14, 2017, 7:02:08 PM8/14/17
I didn't see that species listed in the Sagulator drop down menu.