ooo...ooo...ooo...a new toy in Sketchup

dadiOH

Jun 29, 2014, 2:01:01 PM6/29/14
I've been drawing a couple of vanities I'll be making as soon as I finish
some tile work.

When I draw stuff I draw it in much the same manner as I'll build it. Start
with fixed stuff - walls, floor,drains etc. - draw the plinths, cabinet
bottoms & partitions, top support, face frame, doors and any cabinet built
ins, etc.

I often want to view bits and pieces so I put like things on a layer. Works
fine for me except when I get most all drawn and want to drill down to, say,
the plinths...lots of layers to turn on/off. I guess groups could work but
I've never much messed with them.

Enter "Scenes". I'm sure they are old hat to many of you but they are new
to me and they are a godsend. Now I can have a scene with all doors closed,
another with all (or some) open; I can have one with just the guts. It is
WONDERFUL and all is right with the world :)

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Swingman

Jun 29, 2014, 2:09:14 PM6/29/14
On 6/29/2014 1:01 PM, dadiOH wrote:

> I often want to view bits and pieces so I put like things on a layer. Works
> fine for me except when I get most all drawn and want to drill down to, say,
> the plinths...lots of layers to turn on/off. I guess groups could work but
> I've never much messed with them.
>
> Enter "Scenes". I'm sure they are old hat to many of you but they are new
> to me and they are a godsend. Now I can have a scene with all doors closed,
> another with all (or some) open; I can have one with just the guts. It is
> WONDERFUL and all is right with the world :)

Yep ... Layers, assigned to Scenes, are key to making "Presentations" in
Sketchup, even if it's just for your benefit.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Leon

Jun 29, 2014, 5:35:37 PM6/29/14
On 6/29/2014 1:01 PM, dadiOH wrote:
> I've been drawing a couple of vanities I'll be making as soon as I finish
> some tile work.
>
> When I draw stuff I draw it in much the same manner as I'll build it. Start
> with fixed stuff - walls, floor,drains etc. - draw the plinths, cabinet
> bottoms & partitions, top support, face frame, doors and any cabinet built
> ins, etc.
>
> I often want to view bits and pieces so I put like things on a layer. Works
> fine for me except when I get most all drawn and want to drill down to, say,
> the plinths...lots of layers to turn on/off. I guess groups could work but
> I've never much messed with them.
>
> Enter "Scenes". I'm sure they are old hat to many of you but they are new
> to me and they are a godsend. Now I can have a scene with all doors closed,
> another with all (or some) open; I can have one with just the guts. It is
> WONDERFUL and all is right with the world :)

Scenes are pretty cool. I often will have a cabinet door opened to
different positions and each position on a different scene.

Edward A. Falk

Jul 1, 2014, 7:00:15 PM7/1/14
In article <lopk8v$tfh$1...@dont-email.me>, dadiOH <dad...@invalid.com> wrote:

>Enter "Scenes". I'm sure they are old hat to many of you but they are new
>to me and they are a godsend. Now I can have a scene with all doors closed,
>another with all (or some) open; I can have one with just the guts. It is
>WONDERFUL and all is right with the world :)

Oh, yeah, scenes + layers are a great combination. If I'm
modelling a room, I'll have several scenes that represent specific
camera views (view from door, view from corner, etc.). Then I'll
have a "view from above" scene that also hides the layer that holds
the ceiling. Then I'll have an "empty room" scene that hides all the
layers that contain furniture and trim. Then a "full room" scene
that turns all the layers on.

Sometimes I'll do something like "furniture option 1" and
"furniture option 2" which hide and show different furniture
layers.

A few simple examples:

http://www.efalk.org/Vardo/bigs/vardo002.jpg.html
http://www.efalk.org/Vardo/bigs/vardo005.jpg.html
http://www.efalk.org/Vardo/bigs/vardo006.jpg.html
http://www.efalk.org/Vardo/bigs/vardo007.jpg.html

Another trick is to make walls opaque on one side, and transparent on
the other, so you can look into the room from any viewpoint.

http://www.efalk.org/Bath/bigs/bathroom5a.png.html

But beware: this messes up renderers.

--
-Ed Falk, fa...@despams.r.us.com
http://thespamdiaries.blogspot.com/

Swingman

Jul 1, 2014, 11:35:52 PM7/1/14
Excellently executed model!

Leon

Jul 2, 2014, 8:15:22 AM7/2/14
Cool! I discovered making surfaces transparent on one dude and opaque on
the other when designing our new entertainment nook in our home. I have a
model of our whole house and seeing through some of the walls in certain
instances is very helpful.

Swingman

Jul 2, 2014, 9:03:55 AM7/2/14
On 7/2/2014 7:15 AM, Leon wrote:
> Edward A. Falk <fa...@rahul.net> wrote:

>> Another trick is to make walls opaque on one side, and transparent on
>> the other, so you can look into the room from any viewpoint.
>>
>> http://www.efalk.org/Bath/bigs/bathroom5a.png.html

> Cool! I discovered making surfaces transparent on one dude and opaque on
> the other when designing our new entertainment nook in our home. I have a
> model of our whole house and seeing through some of the walls in certain
> instances is very helpful.

I just use one for the entire wall, the "Translucent_Glass_Gray" in the
"Translucent" Materials category:

https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopTwoBathroomRefresh2013?noredirect=1

dadiOH

Jul 2, 2014, 9:56:30 AM7/2/14
"Edward A. Falk" <fa...@rahul.net> wrote in message

> Another trick is to make walls opaque on one side, and transparent on
> the other, so you can look into the room from any viewpoint.

Agreed. Here's another someone may find useful...

I often make fairly detailed notes/instructions about a project. Sketchup's
built in text things are useful but aren't really up to what I need for the
aforementioned. My solution is to use a document program to write what I
want, format it as desired - complete with underlining, colors, etc - and
make a screen shot of it, saving the SS as a jpeg. I then import that jpeg
into SketchUp and use it as a "material" on a prepared surface, adjusting
the fit either by scaling the surface or editing the length/width of the new
material. Stick the surface into an "Instruction" layer and all is well :)

Leon

Jul 2, 2014, 1:54:20 PM7/2/14
On 7/2/2014 8:03 AM, Swingman wrote:
> On 7/2/2014 7:15 AM, Leon wrote:
>> Edward A. Falk <fa...@rahul.net> wrote:
>
>>> Another trick is to make walls opaque on one side, and transparent on
>>> the other, so you can look into the room from any viewpoint.
>>>
>>> http://www.efalk.org/Bath/bigs/bathroom5a.png.html
>
>> Cool! I discovered making surfaces transparent on one dude and
>> opaque on
>> the other when designing our new entertainment nook in our home. I have a
>> model of our whole house and seeing through some of the walls in certain
>> instances is very helpful.
>

> I just use one for the entire wall, the "Translucent_Glass_Gray" in the
> "Translucent" Materials category:
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopTwoBathroomRefresh2013?noredirect=1

FWIW you can make "ANY" material transparent and to any degree of
transparancy. You don't have to hunt down the transparent samples and
use just those.

BYPAKT Whut?

Leon

Jul 2, 2014, 1:55:03 PM7/2/14
On 7/2/2014 8:56 AM, dadiOH wrote:
> "Edward A. Falk" <fa...@rahul.net> wrote in message
>
>> Another trick is to make walls opaque on one side, and transparent on
>> the other, so you can look into the room from any viewpoint.
>
> Agreed. Here's another someone may find useful...
>
> I often make fairly detailed notes/instructions about a project. Sketchup's
> built in text things are useful but aren't really up to what I need for the
> aforementioned. My solution is to use a document program to write what I
> want, format it as desired - complete with underlining, colors, etc - and
> make a screen shot of it, saving the SS as a jpeg. I then import that jpeg
> into SketchUp and use it as a "material" on a prepared surface, adjusting
> the fit either by scaling the surface or editing the length/width of the new
> material. Stick the surface into an "Instruction" layer and all is well :)

Good to know!

Swingman

Jul 2, 2014, 2:20:11 PM7/2/14
On 7/2/2014 12:54 PM, Leon wrote:

> FWIW you can make "ANY" material transparent and to any degree of
> transparancy. You don't have to hunt down the transparent samples and
> use just those.
>
> BYPAKT Whut?

Yep, but I don't have to hunt down anything. I have a materials folder
with materials I routinely use that shows up when I grab the paint
brush. One click, I get the effect I want without having to adjust
anything. ;)

Leon

Jul 2, 2014, 2:36:52 PM7/2/14
On 7/2/2014 1:20 PM, Swingman wrote:
> On 7/2/2014 12:54 PM, Leon wrote:
>
>> FWIW you can make "ANY" material transparent and to any degree of
>> transparancy. You don't have to hunt down the transparent samples and
>> use just those.
>>
>> BYPAKT Whut?
>
> Yep, but I don't have to hunt down anything. I have a materials folder
> with materials I routinely use that shows up when I grab the paint
> brush. One click, I get the effect I want without having to adjust
> anything. ;)

BTW Sharp finally decided to replace the TV.

pentapus

Jul 3, 2014, 11:47:29 AM7/3/14
On 7/1/2014 7:00 PM, Edward A. Falk wrote:
> In article <lopk8v$tfh$1...@dont-email.me>, dadiOH <dad...@invalid.com> wrote:
>>
>> Enter "Scenes". I'm sure they are old hat to many of you but they are new
>> to me and they are a godsend. Now I can have a scene with all doors closed,
>> another with all (or some) open; I can have one with just the guts. It is
>> WONDERFUL and all is right with the world :)
>
> Oh, yeah, scenes + layers are a great combination. If I'm
> modelling a room, I'll have several scenes that represent specific
> camera views (view from door, view from corner, etc.). Then I'll
> have a "view from above" scene that also hides the layer that holds
> the ceiling. Then I'll have an "empty room" scene that hides all the
> layers that contain furniture and trim. Then a "full room" scene
> that turns all the layers on.
>
> Sometimes I'll do something like "furniture option 1" and
> "furniture option 2" which hide and show different furniture
> layers.
>
> A few simple examples:
>
> http://www.efalk.org/Vardo/bigs/vardo002.jpg.html

Well done.

How does this collapse? I ask because I have a similar trailer, called a
HiLo. This has tracks and 4 wires that wind on a spool. I can not see
how you would do this with your model, but I love the concept.

> http://www.efalk.org/Vardo/bigs/vardo005.jpg.html
> http://www.efalk.org/Vardo/bigs/vardo006.jpg.html
> http://www.efalk.org/Vardo/bigs/vardo007.jpg.html
>
> Another trick is to make walls opaque on one side, and transparent on
> the other, so you can look into the room from any viewpoint.
>
> http://www.efalk.org/Bath/bigs/bathroom5a.png.html
>
> But beware: this messes up renderers.

--
pentapus

Edward A. Falk

Jul 12, 2014, 1:36:42 AM7/12/14
In article <zNydnQxEncLf4y7O...@giganews.com>,
Swingman <k...@nospam.com> wrote:

>> http://www.efalk.org/Bath/bigs/bathroom5a.png.html
>
>Excellently executed model!

Thanks. The best part is that the finished bathroom looked pretty
much exactly like the rendering. I love it when a project ends
up exactly the way I designed it.

Edward A. Falk

Jul 12, 2014, 1:39:14 AM7/12/14
In article <lp132h$tg9$1...@dont-email.me>, dadiOH <dad...@invalid.com> wrote:
>"Edward A. Falk" <fa...@rahul.net> wrote in message
>
>> Another trick is to make walls opaque on one side, and transparent on
>> the other, so you can look into the room from any viewpoint.
>
>Agreed. Here's another someone may find useful...
>
>I often make fairly detailed notes/instructions about a project. Sketchup's
>built in text things are useful but aren't really up to what I need for the
>aforementioned. My solution is to use a document program to write what I
>want, format it as desired - complete with underlining, colors, etc - and
>make a screen shot of it, saving the SS as a jpeg. I then import that jpeg
>into SketchUp and use it as a "material" on a prepared surface, adjusting
>the fit either by scaling the surface or editing the length/width of the new
>material. Stick the surface into an "Instruction" layer and all is well :)

Oh, wow, that's really clever.

One suggestion though: use png instead. It's much better than jpg for
text and line art. Jpeg is optimized for photographs.

Edward A. Falk

Jul 12, 2014, 1:40:41 AM7/12/14
In article <lp3tuc$v8d$1...@news.albasani.net>,
pentapus <pent...@example.com> wrote:
>On 7/1/2014 7:00 PM, Edward A. Falk wrote:
>> In article <lopk8v$tfh$1...@dont-email.me>, dadiOH <dad...@invalid.com> wrote:
>>>

>> A few simple examples:
>>
>> http://www.efalk.org/Vardo/bigs/vardo002.jpg.html
>
>Well done.
>
>How does this collapse? I ask because I have a similar trailer, called a
>HiLo. This has tracks and 4 wires that wind on a spool. I can not see
>how you would do this with your model, but I love the concept.

To be honest, I have no idea howinthehell to make it collapse. I
designed and built it figuring that I'd figure that part out later.

I showed it at Maker Faire this year, and a lot of passers-by had some
really good suggestions. I'm leaning toward camper jacks.