Re: Furniture Manufacturer Dust Explosion

Bill Gill

Sep 21, 2016, 9:14:09 AM9/21/16
On 9/20/2016 8:48 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
> Luckily there were no serious injuries.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hS6IGO2tdA

Dust explosions can be bad. I remember when I was in
Jr. High School there was a man from the state (Oklahoma)
dept. of mines who came around and blew up all kinds of
things. Sawdust, flour, sugar, and others. He had a
glass tunnel with a pan at one end. He filled the pan
with whatever and put a small flame in the tunnel. Then
he used a bicycle pump to blow the stuff in the pan
into the air where it hit the flame and exploded. Almost
anything that can be a dust and is at all flammable
can be caused to explode. Of course that was one of our
favorite shows. He came around every year.

Bill

John McCoy

Sep 21, 2016, 10:32:35 AM9/21/16
Bill Gill <bill...@cox.net> wrote in news:nru12l$bmt$1...@dont-email.me:

> Almost
> anything that can be a dust and is at all flammable
> can be caused to explode.

This is true. I recall in Chem Lab we exploded a small amount
of extremely fine mesh nickel powder(*). You wouldn't normally
consider nickel flammable, but ground finely enough it will
burn (as will many metals).

It's worth noting, tho, that a lot of things that will explode
are fairly hard to ignite. An open flame is a sure way to get
things started.

(* no-one quite knew why we had a jar of nickel powder in the
lab, as best we could figure it was left over from something
a long-gone professor had been working on.)

John

Sep 21, 2016, 6:07:40 PM9/21/16
On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 01:48:01 +0000, Spalted Walt
<res...@newsgroup.pls> wrote:

>Luckily there were no serious injuries.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hS6IGO2tdA

The likelihood of injury greatly reduced by being outside. That must
explosive force inside the building would have shattered windows and
knocked the firefighters into the walls.

---

John Grossbohlin

Sep 21, 2016, 7:15:09 PM9/21/16
On 9/20/2016 8:48 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
> Luckily there were no serious injuries.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hS6IGO2tdA

I cleaned up my dust collection system this evening (piping, hoses,
separator, bags, etc.). I noticed it was full and dusty last weekend and
this video was a good motivator! LOL

Leon

Sep 21, 2016, 7:39:36 PM9/21/16
On 9/21/2016 5:07 PM, ads wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 01:48:01 +0000, Spalted Walt
> <res...@newsgroup.pls> wrote:
>
>> Luckily there were no serious injuries.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hS6IGO2tdA
>
> The likelihood of injury greatly reduced by being outside.

That and protective fire fighting gear. Had some one been near with out
protective gear they would have been toast, regardless ow where they
were, inside or out.

Electric Comet

Sep 22, 2016, 7:25:28 PM9/22/16
On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 01:48:01 +0000
Spalted Walt <res...@newsgroup.pls> wrote:

> Luckily there were no serious injuries.

seems bad judgement to be so close knowing the potential

it was a fire then dust explosion

clearly there is a fire and that triggered the explosion and that is
a lot different than a spark initiating that

Spalted Walt

Sep 23, 2016, 7:02:43 AM9/23/16
Road flare ignition:

http://player.vimeo.com/video/260680

krw

Sep 23, 2016, 7:09:23 PM9/23/16
I'll have to remember not to put a road flare in my dust collector
when I blow it out with high volume compressed air.

Leon

Sep 24, 2016, 7:40:54 AM9/24/16
It's ok to do do that if you blow it out outside. :-)