Help: New plug rating/size for air compressor?

Michael

Jun 10, 2017, 6:30:06 PM6/10/17
I need to replace the three prong plug on my air compressor. Before I head to Ace, can anyone tell me what size/rating plug I need? Here is a picture of the compressor.

https://ibb.co/h4LrTF

Much appreciated!

Mike

hub...@ccanoemail.ca

Jun 10, 2017, 6:44:05 PM6/10/17

J. Clarke

Jun 10, 2017, 6:46:59 PM6/10/17
In article <539fb87f-d9dd-4f0b...@googlegroups.com>,
michael...@gmail.com says...

> I need to replace the three prong plug on my air compressor. Before I head to Ace, can anyone tell me what size/rating plug I need? Here is a picture of the compressor.
>
> https://ibb.co/h4LrTF
>
> Much appreciated!

It says 15 amp 120v, which is pretty much the default for US electrical
cords. But look at the outlet you plug it into and make sure that it's a
standard outlet and not something weird.

Michael

Jun 10, 2017, 7:01:14 PM6/10/17
Thanks, John and J. Clarke!

It's a standard outlet, but the cord itself is really thick, so I thought I should be careful about what kind of replacement plug I use.

Mike

hub...@ccanoemail.ca

Jun 10, 2017, 8:06:36 PM6/10/17

http://www.electrical101.com/receptacles.html

>Thanks, John and J. Clarke!
>It's a standard outlet, but the cord itself is really thick, so I thought
> I should be careful about what kind of replacement plug I use.
>Mike

The cord should have some tiny writing on it
to indicate the wire size. eg 12/3
Sometimes the extra thickness is just the higher grade
of insulation - better toughness and flexibility in cold ..
John T.

Unquestionably Confused

Jun 10, 2017, 8:39:15 PM6/10/17
Presumably, you have the plug that needs to be replaced. Personally, I
would be more concerned with the configuration of the plug (assuming
that it appeared to be OEM and not somebody else's add-on) rather than
the receptacle you'll be plugging it into. If you get the right plug,
you'll be forced to insert it into the correct receptacle.

Heavier cord than you'd expect? No worries. You can save breaking out
in a cold sweat until such time as you see a compressor connected to the
receptacle with a 20' length of lamp cord. ;)

Gordon Shumway

Jun 10, 2017, 10:46:33 PM6/10/17
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 15:30:01 -0700 (PDT), Michael <michael...@gmail.com> wrote:

Electricity explained

I think its time for me to explain about 240 current and why it is so different from 120 volt service. First
of all, it's twice as big. Secondly, it'll shock you more. Outside of that, 240 is really two 120 volt
lines coming to your house from different parts of the globe. The up and down 120 comes from the northern
hemisphere, and the down and up version comes from below the equator.

Without trying to get technical, it all boils down to the direction water flows when it goes down the drain.
In the top of the earth, it goes clockwise, while on the bottom of the earth it goes counter clockwise.
Since most electricity is made from hydro dams, the clockwise flow gives you an up and down sine wave, while
the counterclockwise version gives you a down and up sine wave. Between the two, you have 240 volts, while
either individual side only gives you 120 volts.

This is particularly important to know when buying power tools -- which side of the globe did they come
from? If you get an Australian saw, for instance, it will turn backwards if connected to a US generated 120
volt source. Sure, you can buy backwards blades for it, but that is an unnecessary burden. Other
appliances, like toasters cannot be converted from Australian electricity to American electricity. I knew
one person who bought an Australian toaster by mistake and it froze the slices of bread she put in it.

If you wire your shop with 240 and accidentally get two US-generated 120 volt lines run in by accident, you
can get 240 by using a trick I learned from an old electrician. Just put each source into its own fuse box
and then turn one of the boxes upside down. That'll invert one of the two up and down sine waves to down
and up, giving you 240. DO NOT just turn the box sideways, since that'll give you 165 volts and you'll be
limited to just using Canadian tools with it.

Jack

Jun 11, 2017, 7:08:13 AM6/11/17
It says 15 amp but also says 2 hp. Normally, 2 hp motor would require
12 gauge wire, 20 amp plug and receptacle.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Dr. Deb

Jun 11, 2017, 7:10:06 AM6/11/17
Go to ACE and get one of their plastic molded plugs.
(Here is a picture from HF)
https://www.harborfreight.com/125-volt-15-amp-male-plug-93686.html

Cut your current cord, strip the wires back a bit and assemble.

k...@notreal.com

Jun 11, 2017, 8:23:15 AM6/11/17
On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 07:08:10 -0400, Jack <jbst...@comcast.net> wrote:

>On 6/10/2017 6:30 PM, Michael wrote:
>> I need to replace the three prong plug on my air compressor. Before I head to Ace, can anyone tell me what size/rating plug I need? Here is a picture of the compressor.
>>
>> https://ibb.co/h4LrTF
>>
>> Much appreciated!
>It says 15 amp but also says 2 hp. Normally, 2 hp motor would require
>12 gauge wire, 20 amp plug and receptacle.

15A * 120V = 1800W
1HP = 746W ~ 2HP < 1500W
Seems do-able on a 14ga cord (easily) and 15A plug.

My show vac says 5.5HP and it has a 16ga. cord and NEMA 5-15 plug. I
bet that keeps you up at night. ;-)

Unquestionably Confused

Jun 11, 2017, 9:02:57 AM6/11/17
On 6/11/2017 6:08 AM, Jack wrote:
> On 6/10/2017 6:30 PM, Michael wrote:
>> I need to replace the three prong plug on my air compressor. Before I
>> head to Ace, can anyone tell me what size/rating plug I need? Here is
>> a picture of the compressor.
>>
>> https://ibb.co/h4LrTF
>>
>> Much appreciated!
> It says 15 amp but also says 2 hp. Normally, 2 hp motor would require
> 12 gauge wire, 20 amp plug and receptacle.

Yeah but it's a Sears Crapsman and we know they tend to embellish (lie!)

Jack

Jun 11, 2017, 9:30:47 AM6/11/17
On 6/11/2017 8:23 AM, k...@notreal.com wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 07:08:10 -0400, Jack <jbst...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> On 6/10/2017 6:30 PM, Michael wrote:
>>> I need to replace the three prong plug on my air compressor. Before I head to Ace, can anyone tell me what size/rating plug I need? Here is a picture of the compressor.
>>>
>>> https://ibb.co/h4LrTF
>>>
>>> Much appreciated!
>> It says 15 amp but also says 2 hp. Normally, 2 hp motor would require
>> 12 gauge wire, 20 amp plug and receptacle.
>
> 15A * 120V = 1800W
> 1HP = 746W ~ 2HP < 1500W
> Seems do-able on a 14ga cord (easily) and 15A plug.

Seems like it but it is not. Start up amps is a lot higher, and I've
yet to see a recommendation for 2hp shop motor run on 14 ga wire, or 15
amp fuse. Even fractional hp motors like washers, dryers, refrigerators
and so on should be run on 12 gauge, 20 amp circuits.

> My show vac says 5.5HP and it has a 16ga. cord and NEMA 5-15 plug. I
> bet that keeps you up at night. ;-)

Doesn't keep me up a bit. I would love to see that 5.5hp motor drive a
24" planer, or his air compressor for that matter. Actually, I think a
2hp motor would normally require 10 ga wire, not 12.

A 5.5 hp motor would seldom be 120, but 220 or 3 phase. A 5.5 hp motor
would draw a lot of amps at startup, and running under load would not
last long on 16ga wiring, if at all. Your shop vac HP rating is, as you
well know, using methods that are meaningless when comparing motors and
work output.

My shop runs on 12 ga wire, and the only big motor is a 3hp and that
runs on 12 ga, 240 volt circuit.

Jack

Jun 11, 2017, 9:42:15 AM6/11/17
That's why I said "Normally". Even so, I would not run the motor on a
14 ga, 15 amp circuit. You could get away for awhile with a 15amp plug
and receptacle and switch perhaps, but I wouldn't recommend it, even if
the motor was only 1/2 hp.

Brewster

Jun 11, 2017, 10:31:36 AM6/11/17
The biggest grief I encounter when buying a replacement plug is getting
the correct part for the cord diameter. Some plugs have nice, secure
cord clamps, but only work on a limited range of acceptable code
diameters. Some plugs use a collet style cord clamp, but I find these to
be rather poor for any cord that gets much plugging action, although
some of the yellow colored can-shaped plugs with the three-fingered
collet style retainer are actually quite good.
-BR

-MIKE-

Jun 11, 2017, 11:04:29 AM6/11/17
Since we're making rocket surgery out of a simple plug replacement, I'll
throw in another option.

Get an extension cord with the same gauge wire as the current compressor
cord. Cut off the female end and wire it into the compressor.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com
mi...@mikedrumsDOT.com

Leon

Jun 11, 2017, 11:40:12 AM6/11/17
No, he should buy a new compressor. ;~)

hub...@ccanoemail.ca

Jun 11, 2017, 2:49:59 PM6/11/17

>> Since we're making rocket surgery out of a simple plug replacement, I'll
>> throw in another option.
>> Get an extension cord with the same gauge wire as the current compressor
>> cord. Cut off the female end and wire it into the compressor.
>>

>No, he should buy a new compressor. ;~)

No ! .. buy a new compressor and take the cord from that new
compressor - install it on the old compressor - then -
- this is the important part -

- re-box the new compressor - perfectly - take it back for a
refund .. say that it was received as a gift and never opened.

Always wiling to help.

k...@notreal.com

Jun 11, 2017, 4:27:58 PM6/11/17
On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 09:30:45 -0400, Jack <jbst...@comcast.net> wrote:

>On 6/11/2017 8:23 AM, k...@notreal.com wrote:

>>> It says 15 amp but also says 2 hp. Normally, 2 hp motor would require
>>> 12 gauge wire, 20 amp plug and receptacle.
>>
>> 15A * 120V = 1800W
>> 1HP = 746W ~ 2HP < 1500W
>> Seems do-able on a 14ga cord (easily) and 15A plug.
>
>Seems like it but it is not. Start up amps is a lot higher, and I've
>yet to see a recommendation for 2hp shop motor run on 14 ga wire, or 15
>amp fuse. Even fractional hp motors like washers, dryers, refrigerators
>and so on should be run on 12 gauge, 20 amp circuits.

No, it's perfectly within the code. It would be better on a 20A
circuit (most NEMA 15-5Rs are on 20A circuits) but there is no need
for the cord to be 12A. It's overkill (though I'd probably do it).

>> My show vac says 5.5HP and it has a 16ga. cord and NEMA 5-15 plug. I
>> bet that keeps you up at night. ;-)
>
>Doesn't keep me up a bit. I would love to see that 5.5hp motor drive a
>24" planer, or his air compressor for that matter. Actually, I think a
>2hp motor would normally require 10 ga wire, not 12.

The compressor isn't likely to actually require 2HP for long periods,
either.

>A 5.5 hp motor would seldom be 120, but 220 or 3 phase. A 5.5 hp motor
>would draw a lot of amps at startup, and running under load would not
>last long on 16ga wiring, if at all. Your shop vac HP rating is, as you
>well know, using methods that are meaningless when comparing motors and
>work output.
>
>My shop runs on 12 ga wire, and the only big motor is a 3hp and that
>runs on 12 ga, 240 volt circuit.

Yikes! You didn't run 8GA wire! You slacker!

Bob La Londe

Jun 12, 2017, 2:12:55 PM6/12/17
Ordinary 110V plug for your part of the world. Standard household outlets
in the USA are 110V 15 amp. Some are 115V 20amp indicated by a cross cut on
one pin, but the same plug will go into either outlet.

I doubt that compressor will draw 15 amps unless there is something wrong
with it.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Jun 12, 2017, 3:43:03 PM6/12/17
On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 11:12:51 -0700, "Bob La Londe" <no...@none.com99>
wrote:
5 amp fuse mine untill I switched the wiring on the motor over to 240.
Now it's on a 20 amp 240 volt circuit - no more worries.

Michael

Jun 15, 2017, 4:06:30 PM6/15/17
On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 5:30:06 PM UTC-5, Michael wrote:
The new plug works great. Thanks everyone!

Brewster

Jun 17, 2017, 9:53:21 AM6/17/17
Hey! That would make too much sense and probably be cheaper. How dare
you 8^)

-BR

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Jun 17, 2017, 8:31:22 PM6/17/17
I do it all the lime for power tool cords - I can make them as long
or short as I want - and even color code them so it is easy to see
which tool is plugged in.

Brewster

Jun 18, 2017, 10:01:05 AM6/18/17
I almost went that route when cording up my then-new Unisaur. A 220V
12GA orange extension cord was much cheaper than the cut-to-length cable
and a plug. The cable was much more flexible then the orange cord (and
it wasn't orange ugh!) so I went with my elitist demon.

-BR