OT The Quilt

Leon

Sep 18, 2016, 4:17:22 PM9/18/16
A few of you were interested in seeing the quilt that my wife was
working on when I was showing the Lamp I built for her long arm machine.

This is obviously the over all top.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/29689997841/in/dateposted-public/

Close up of the center.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/29772546735/in/dateposted-public/

Close up of a corner.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/29480315180/in/dateposted-public/

And the center of the back.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/29660094562/in/dateposted-public/

Bill

Sep 18, 2016, 4:22:18 PM9/18/16
Leon wrote:
> A few of you were interested in seeing the quilt that my wife was
> working on when I was showing the Lamp I built for her long arm machine.

To mine eyes (and I think, to anyone's), that is dern-impressive quilting!

Unquestionably Confused

Sep 18, 2016, 4:31:46 PM9/18/16
On 9/18/2016 3:21 PM, Bill wrote:
> Leon wrote:
>> A few of you were interested in seeing the quilt that my wife was
>> working on when I was showing the Lamp I built for her long arm machine.
>
> To mine eyes (and I think, to anyone's), that is dern-impressive quilting!

Nice, but what did you expect. It all comes out of the "House of Leon"
where excellence is merely average work for the craftsfolk there.;)

Veddy nice indeed

Mike Marlow

Sep 18, 2016, 4:34:05 PM9/18/16
Very nice Leon - pass it along to the wife. My soon to be ex-wife does
a fair amount of quilting and is quite good at it, so I have some
appreciation for the work that goes into these efforts

--
-Mike-
mmarlo...@windstream.net

---

Ed Pawlowski

Sep 18, 2016, 5:06:05 PM9/18/16
On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 15:17:13 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
wrote:

>A few of you were interested in seeing the quilt that my wife was
>working on when I was showing the Lamp I built for her long arm machine.
>
>This is obviously the over all top.
>
>https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/29689997841/in/dateposted-public/
>
>Close up of the center.

I'd show it to my wife, but it could cost me big bucks. She has three
machines already.

That is really nice work.

Leon

Sep 18, 2016, 5:12:49 PM9/18/16
On 9/18/2016 3:21 PM, Bill wrote:
> Leon wrote:
>> A few of you were interested in seeing the quilt that my wife was
>> working on when I was showing the Lamp I built for her long arm machine.
>
> To mine eyes (and I think, to anyone's), that is dern-impressive quilting!

Ill pass that on. This is her first big and complicated quilt and
likely any future quilts will not be any more difficult.

Leon

Sep 18, 2016, 5:15:43 PM9/18/16
> On 9/18/2016 3:21 PM, Bill wrote:
>> Leon wrote:
>>> A few of you were interested in seeing the quilt that my wife was
>>> working on when I was showing the Lamp I built for her long arm machine.
>>
>> To mine eyes (and I think, to anyone's), that is dern-impressive
>> quilting!
>
> Nice, but what did you expect. It all comes out of the "House of Leon"
> where excellence is merely average work for the craftsfolk there.;)

Well there were a few discussions as to how to do this. The patterns
are wider than the depth capacity of the machine. Soooo that doing what
could be done and then removing the quilt, clocking it 90 degrees and
filling in the blanks.

> Veddy nice indeed

I'll letter know. ;~)

Leon

Sep 18, 2016, 5:16:46 PM9/18/16
On 9/18/2016 3:34 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
> Leon wrote:
>> A few of you were interested in seeing the quilt that my wife was
>> working on when I was showing the Lamp I built for her long arm machine.
>>
>> This is obviously the over all top.
>>
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/29689997841/in/dateposted-public/
>>
>> Close up of the center.
>>
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/29772546735/in/dateposted-public/
>>
>> Close up of a corner.
>>
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/29480315180/in/dateposted-public/
>>
>> And the center of the back.
>>
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/29660094562/in/dateposted-public/
>
> Very nice Leon - pass it along to the wife. My soon to be ex-wife does
> a fair amount of quilting and is quite good at it, so I have some
> appreciation for the work that goes into these efforts

Thank you Mike, I'll pass that on. She will appreciate the comments.

Leon

Sep 18, 2016, 5:21:39 PM9/18/16
It's a slippery slope, no? LOL

Actually the robotics are becoming available from after market. This
seems to be cut adding the cost of adding robotics to a long arm machine
in half. Still pricey, like buying a high end table saw with all the
accessories Instead of buying a new car. ;~)

The bait..... ;~)

http://quiltez.com/

> That is really nice work.

Thank you, I'll let her know.

Keith Nuttle

Sep 18, 2016, 5:23:12 PM9/18/16
In this thread there are several comments about quilting machines.
There are still people who do quilting the old fashion way with a needle
and thread.

Leon

Sep 18, 2016, 5:24:24 PM9/18/16
On 9/18/2016 4:21 PM, Leon wrote:
> On 9/18/2016 4:06 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 15:17:13 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> A few of you were interested in seeing the quilt that my wife was
>>> working on when I was showing the Lamp I built for her long arm machine.
>>>
>>> This is obviously the over all top.
>>>
>>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/29689997841/in/dateposted-public/
>>>
>>> Close up of the center.
>>

>> I'd show it to my wife, but it could cost me big bucks. She has three
>> machines already.
>
> It's a slippery slope, no? LOL
>
> Actually the robotics are becoming available from after market. This
> seems to be cutting the price in half the normal cost of adding robotics.

Leon

Sep 18, 2016, 5:25:22 PM9/18/16
That is how my wife learned to quilt, no machine at all, about 15 years ago.

Keith Nuttle

Sep 18, 2016, 6:43:02 PM9/18/16
I said that because my wife has made hundreds of quilts for family
members's weddings, births, etc, in the years we have been married. All
hand quilted.

She is one of those person who is nervous, and you place thead or yarn
in her hands an out comes a quilt or shawl. ;-)

notbob

Sep 18, 2016, 7:04:25 PM9/18/16
On 2016-09-18, Keith Nuttle <Keith_...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> There are still people who do quilting the old fashion way with a needle
> and thread.

True dat ....but you also cannot buy a hand made queen-sized quilt at
Macy's fer $50!

I bought 3 (fifteen yrs ago). One I used, one I gave to my daughter, one I still have.
Wash 'em twice and they're destroyed.

What!? You think you do not exfoliate!? ;)

nb

Keith Nuttle

Sep 18, 2016, 7:43:46 PM9/18/16
On 09/18/2016 7:04 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2016-09-18, Keith Nuttle <Keith_...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> There are still people who do quilting the old fashion way with a needle
>> and thread.
>
> True dat ....but you also cannot buy a hand made queen-sized quilt at
> Macy's fer $50!

I believe a handmade quilt at some of the outlets like Tamarac W.Z and
the folk art Center on the Blue Ridge Park N.C. way start at $2000

> I bought 3 (fifteen yrs ago). One I used, one I gave to my daughter, one I still have.
> Wash 'em twice and they're destroyed.

I could see a $50 quilt not lasting, they are made cheap.

> What!? You think you do not exfoliate!? ;)

Washing machine? ;-)

G. Ross

Sep 18, 2016, 7:45:31 PM9/18/16
Magnificent work. My wife loves it. She has one quilted by her
great-grandmother but wouldn't trade it.

--
GW Ross

I may have taught you everything *you*
know, but I haven't taught you
everything *I* know.

krw

Sep 18, 2016, 8:59:37 PM9/18/16
wrote:

>A few of you were interested in seeing the quilt that my wife was
>working on when I was showing the Lamp I built for her long arm machine.
>
>This is obviously the over all top.
>
>https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/29689997841/in/dateposted-public/

SWMBO says, "WOW!".
Again
That makes the Amish quilt we bought ($1600) nine years ago look like
it's from Walmart. Tell her she done good!

notbob

Sep 18, 2016, 9:13:33 PM9/18/16
On 2016-09-18, Keith Nuttle <Keith_...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I could see a $50 quilt not lasting, they are made cheap.

It's the stitching. When the stitching comes loose and the loose
threads are cutting into yer toes, it's time to toss. ;)

nb

krw

Sep 18, 2016, 9:17:42 PM9/18/16
That's why they invented sheets. Try them sometime. ;-)

Michael

Sep 18, 2016, 10:15:57 PM9/18/16
Spectacular!

Leon

Sep 19, 2016, 6:57:48 AM9/19/16
G. Ross <gw...@comwest.net> wrote:
> Leon wrote:
>> A few of you were interested in seeing the quilt that my wife was
>> working on when I was showing the Lamp I built for her long arm machine.
>>
>> This is obviously the over all top.
>>
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/29689997841/in/dateposted-public/
>>
>> Close up of the center.
>>
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/29772546735/in/dateposted-public/
>>
>> Close up of a corner.
>>
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/29480315180/in/dateposted-public/
>>
>> And the center of the back.
>>
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/29660094562/in/dateposted-public/
>>
> Magnificent work. My wife loves it. She has one quilted by her
> great-grandmother but wouldn't trade it.

Thank you, I'll pass hat on.

Quilts are a labor of love. Quilters put many hours into their work and few
have any idea of what goes into the making of a quilt.

Leon

Sep 19, 2016, 7:16:34 AM9/19/16
Thank you!

Leon

Sep 19, 2016, 7:16:34 AM9/19/16
LOL. Thanks. I'll let her know. But to be honest, on this quilt, she only
thing did the fancy robotic quilting, the design stitching. A good
friend/customer put the top together.
My wife does it all but the quilting/layering is difficult and can take
days on a regular sewing machine. She got the free hand version long arm
sewing machine 11 years ago. That long arm machine had one heck of a
learning curve and I was, after about six months, beginning to wish that I
had not bought it for her.
Fortunately she got past that. She could while/combine the layers to a
quilt in about two hours guiding the machine by the handle bars. Oddly
this quilt with the robot upgrade took 18 hours. But there is a lot of very
intricate stitching that she had to program the machine to do.

Unquestionably Confused

Sep 19, 2016, 8:40:58 AM9/19/16
On 9/19/2016 6:16 AM, Leon wrote:
> krw <k...@nowhere.com> wrote:

[snip]

>>> And the center of the back.
>>>
>>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/29660094562/in/dateposted-public/
>>
>> That makes the Amish quilt we bought ($1600) nine years ago look like
>> it's from Walmart. Tell her she done good!
>>

> LOL. Thanks. I'll let her know. But to be honest, on this quilt, she only
> thing did the fancy robotic quilting, the design stitching. A good
> friend/customer put the top together.
> My wife does it all but the quilting/layering is difficult and can take
> days on a regular sewing machine. She got the free hand version long arm
> sewing machine 11 years ago. That long arm machine had one heck of a
> learning curve and I was, after about six months, beginning to wish that I
> had not bought it for her.
> Fortunately she got past that. She could while/combine the layers to a
> quilt in about two hours guiding the machine by the handle bars. Oddly
> this quilt with the robot upgrade took 18 hours. But there is a lot of very
> intricate stitching that she had to program the machine to do.

That makes perfect sense. Good execution is reflected in the planning
and setup, we all know "measure twice, cut once" and the time spent
designing and setting up a jig for custom work pays handsome dividends
in time saved and perfect replication of details.

Ed Pawlowski

Sep 19, 2016, 5:41:07 PM9/19/16
Why toss it. You can use that stitching to floss with.

Sonny

Sep 19, 2016, 9:25:33 PM9/19/16
On Sunday, September 18, 2016 at 3:17:22 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
> A few of you were interested in seeing the quilt that my wife was
> working on....

Getting to the party late.

That's fabulous. Wonderful job, from all involved.

Mom use to quilt, among other sewings, alone and with friends. I can appreciate a nice quilt, machine or hand made.

Give that girl a night out on the town!

Sonny

Leon

Sep 21, 2016, 8:48:46 AM9/21/16
Sonny <cedar...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, September 18, 2016 at 3:17:22 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
>> A few of you were interested in seeing the quilt that my wife was
>> working on....
>
> Getting to the party late.
>
> That's fabulous. Wonderful job, from all involved.

Thank you, I will let her know.