Covering patches over a non-stainable wood filler

Sharon

Jun 17, 2017, 5:14:05 PM6/17/17
I successfully (I thin) got rid of carpenter bees, only to find that
woodpeckers took their place., but the holes were now long and gouged. I
filled the holes with a filler, then sanded them, and then I started to stain
them. The stain would not work, and then, way too late in the day of course, I
read the directions on the wood filler, which stated 'non-stainable'. My
question is what can I use to cover, or get rid of those unstainable patches?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodworking/covering-patches-over-a-non-stainable-wood-filler-809411-.htm

k...@notreal.com

Jun 17, 2017, 9:19:58 PM6/17/17
On Sat, 17 Jun 2017 21:14:02 GMT, Sharon
<caedfaa9ed1216d60ef...@example.com> wrote:

>I successfully (I thin) got rid of carpenter bees, only to find that
>woodpeckers took their place., but the holes were now long and gouged.

Did you dust the holes before filling them? Likely, the reason the
woodpeckers were going after the wood was that they could hear bees in
the wood. If you didn't dust for the bees, the next brood will hatch
next spring and tunnel their way out. ...and the cycle repeats.

Carpenter bees are a RPITA. Our last house had exposed (fake) beam
ends. The bees _loved_ them. I had to have exterminators out every
spring to dust and fill the holes.

>filled the holes with a filler, then sanded them, and then I started to stain
>them. The stain would not work, and then, way too late in the day of course, I
>read the directions on the wood filler, which stated 'non-stainable'. My
>question is what can I use to cover, or get rid of those unstainable patches?

Chisel out the filler and start over? Paint?

Bobby

Jun 17, 2017, 10:44:05 PM6/17/17
replying to Sharon, Bobby wrote:
What kind of wood? How dark is the stain? Doubt you can make them blend
completely but a paint may blend thim much better than what you have now.

Spalted Walt

Jun 18, 2017, 9:10:57 AM6/18/17
Sharon <caedfaa9ed1216d60ef...@example.com> wrote:

> I successfully (I thin) got rid of carpenter bees, only to find that
> woodpeckers took their place., but the holes were now long and gouged. I
> filled the holes with a filler, then sanded them, and then I started to stain
> them. The stain would not work, and then, way too late in the day of course, I
> read the directions on the wood filler, which stated 'non-stainable'. My
> question is what can I use to cover, or get rid of those unstainable patches?

An ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RHtEOQj4yo
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=carpenter+bee+trap

If that is beyond your skill set:
http://ebay.to/2sGQ1X9
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A9GOTTM/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XGGWWB7/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRoKgVQEjLQ

Leon

Jun 18, 2017, 9:43:42 AM6/18/17
Sharon <caedfaa9ed1216d60ef...@example.com> wrote:
> I successfully (I thin) got rid of carpenter bees, only to find that
> woodpeckers took their place., but the holes were now long and gouged. I
> filled the holes with a filler, then sanded them, and then I started to stain
> them. The stain would not work, and then, way too late in the day of course, I
> read the directions on the wood filler, which stated 'non-stainable'. My
> question is what can I use to cover, or get rid of those unstainable patches?

Paint.

J. Clarke

Jun 18, 2017, 12:02:26 PM6/18/17
In article <sutckcddkoh9g1k7b...@4ax.com>,
res...@newsgroup.pls says...
He wasn't asking about bees, he was asking for finishing advice.

Spalted Walt

Jun 18, 2017, 12:46:20 PM6/18/17
She got lucky. It's bonus reply SUNDAY!
now run along and... http://i.imgur.com/Fvfh8sY.gif

J. Clarke

Jun 18, 2017, 1:01:51 PM6/18/17
In article <t5bdkcprtn76c1nk3...@4ax.com>,
res...@newsgroup.pls says...
What is this, National Be A Jackass Week?

Spalted Walt

Jun 18, 2017, 1:57:58 PM6/18/17
"J. Clarke" <j.clark...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> He wasn't asking about bees, he was asking for finishing advice.
>
> What is this, National Be A Jackass Week?

Nah, it's just you being an antagonistic prick as per usual.

J. Clarke

Jun 18, 2017, 3:23:26 PM6/18/17
In article <iifdkcpu0ki1c79o0...@4ax.com>,
res...@newsgroup.pls says...
I'm chalking this one up to you having had too much spalt last night.